Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 9, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #39,826 of 42,765
BTW, on some other Chord thread you mentioned something about the "full" Chord team being in NY. I don't consider it a "full" Chord team if your not there with them, even if it's in a unofficial capacity.
Thanks for your kind sentiments.
It certainly would be interesting to meet and chat to the team.
However I suspect that they will have their hands full with preparing for the show, meeting the press and giving interviews, meeting the distributors, meeting the dealers, manning the stand at the canjam etc.
:relaxed:

Feb 9, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #39,827 of 42,765
Hola, solo en inglés, lo siento. :)

Other than that, Google Translate translates as below, so I'm not sure what you mean?

"Certainly, the drop in prices in the mojo chord has remained excellent at least in Spain, and in terms of battery cost, I agree that it depends a lot on the quality of the music file"

Hello again !, I wanted to say that in Spain the prices of the mojo have dropped substantially, and that it is true that the quality of the file to be decoded by the mojo makes the battery life so variable

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #39,828 of 42,765
Depends if you have any need for what may be the new features, Bluetooth and balanced output.

I know Chord have said that Mojo doesn't need a balanced output but people think balanced = better and with every DAP these days having a balanced output it's difficult to fight that perception.

Not having it must be affecting sales, is it the moment for Chord to jump on the balanced bandwagon though?

While BT would be a nice add-on I don't really need it. As for balanced output I agree that this is more of market perception than real requirement of need. However there are devices like Q5s that provides better SQ in case of balanced output.

Feb 10, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #39,829 of 42,765
Most of the energy is used for processing the data, and only a few percent is used for driving the headphones.
I think @Rob Watts posted that the type of music data can impact the amount of processing, so the first question would be what type of music file are you using?
RBCD, flac, dsd, etc.

Hi. Thanks for your feedback. In my case, I'm mostly using the Mojo for streaming via Tidal (quality set to Master's when available & HiFi) and Spotify (quality set to Very High). Am I correct in assuming that streaming 'should' yield better battery life compared to playing DSD/FLAC/etc?

If I remember correctly in case of Mojo the max time is not for USB input. Anyway I only use USB with Mojo and mine has similar playing time. Closer to 5 than 6.5 hours.

Thanks for your input and for sharing your similar experience with regards to the battery life. Ah, okay..so does that mean that if used via the coax or the optical input, we should be getting longer playing time?

Feb 10, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #39,830 of 42,765
Depends if you have any need for what may be the new features, Bluetooth and balanced output.

I know Chord have said that Mojo doesn't need a balanced output but people think balanced = better and with every DAP these days having a balanced output it's difficult to fight that perception.

Not having it must be affecting sales, is it the moment for Chord to jump on the balanced bandwagon though?

No need for both, unless you can navigate via Bluetooth. I'm an purist so pass/punt on balanced out. Chord DACs don't have to compensate via balanced. I like RW's philosophy by not adding complexity and keeping things simple and pure. I hope Chord continues to focus on pure DACs and not try to integrate any unnecessary complications. Not interested either in Chord streamers as RW has zero involvement. They will be marked up on the backbone of RW's DACs. I'm more than happy with my current portable optical music source which is on par with desktop streamers as they essentially use the same parts internally for 1/10 the cost:

The Bryston BDP-Pi digital music players let you hear a perfect replica of high resolution studio masters with incredible detail and breathtaking realism.

bdp.png

https://www.moon-audio.com/bryston-bdp-pi-digital-player.html

But I'm moving on from my primary project and wanted to dabble in a general purpose project. Since I unlocked the ability to "Build our own DAP (BYOD)" with wireless UI utilising low-powered USB DAC/AMPs, I wanted to experiment with sub-$200 devices for my general purpose needs. I considered Khadas, NX4, DragonFly etc. but I fortunately came to my senses and just stuck with the Mojo even though it was pass budget. I figure in the long-term I'm saving money because the "Chi-Fi" stuff becomes useless in 3 months and my ears tire easily from them. Those "Chi-Fi" stuff should pay me for medical expenses since it hurts my ears... Luckily the Mojo @399 was close enough to Cobalt @299 so can skip the Cobalt. I can even selI the Mojo battery brand new to further justify if my budget was strict since I can run in battery-less "desktop mode" or possibly straight from a USB battery pack (so @340 est. vs @299). I prefer the accuracy of Chord DACs as they don't fatigue my ears.

My dream 3.5mm, 2-pin portable cable won't be ready until after summer so I'm no where near ready for a Mojo2, but I'm just preparing a backup plan if released. Maybe this will be a secondary SQ portable project instead of a general purpose project if that happens though the Mojo2 would serve both SQ and general purposes quite well.

I guess my Mojo2 wish list would be same battery mgmt as H2, SQ upgrade, RF-proof, no battery (can run off usb battery bank) and a volume cap since we use for gaming and kids don't pay close attention to volume (Mojo can get quite loud).

Anyways, I'll eventually end up with a Mojo2 down the line. But it would be amazing if released this month, it would complete my secondary SQ project in an instant without even planning for this project. If the Mojo was @499, I would waited it out for the Mojo2.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #39,831 of 42,765
To be honest, Chord should just make a DAP and kill the Mojo.

So the Chord Mojo 2:
- integrated Poly module
- integrated Chord DAC + amp
- Touch screen
- Can also be controlled from the phone.
- also functions as a stand-alone DAC

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #39,832 of 42,765
Hi. Thanks for your feedback. In my case, I'm mostly using the Mojo for streaming via Tidal (quality set to Master's when available & HiFi) and Spotify (quality set to Very High). Am I correct in assuming that streaming 'should' yield better battery life compared to playing DSD/FLAC/etc?

Thanks for your input and for sharing your similar experience with regards to the battery life. Ah, okay..so does that mean that if used via the coax or the optical input, we should be getting longer playing time?
Bought my Mojo used from an individual who put about 300hrs on it. I get about 7 to 8hrs playing Tidal hi res to 32ohm headphones.

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #39,833 of 42,765
I agree to some extent on a Chord DAP, but I would want them to integrate Squeezebox instead of the backend they are currently utilitising (MPD?).

I use iPeng for the Frontend UI:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ipeng/id767266886

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-8/nggallery/slideshow

I'm not a fan of all the jump-through-hoop apps and daisy-chaining apps w/ the Poly.

If USB bus is completely out of the equation and they use exclusively i2s (purity), I'm in...

Touch screen is a complication. I rather control wireless UI as screen tech is always evolving and battery power needed for touch screen. For wireless UI, you can close the app and the music will still run it the background. Minimal smartphone battery needed. You can even turn off your smartphone once you start a playlist.

With Squeezebox, they don't have to re-invent the wheel. Just run it as a service and your good-to-go. Low resources and low battery requirements. Two decades of development and refinement. Backed by a multi-billion dollar company in Logitech.

Utilised on the $10K Antipodes streamer.

https://antipodes.audio/squeezebox/

With an integrated IR Receiver in the Mojo, you can navigate your music via Squeezebox via IR Remote to complement app as well as for Mojo's native volume.

There's no "killer" stable app for the Poly....

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #39,834 of 42,765
No need for both, unless you can navigate via Bluetooth. I'm an purist so pass/punt on balanced out. Chord DACs don't have to compensate via balanced. I like RW's philosophy by not adding complexity and keeping things simple and pure. I hope Chord continues to focus on pure DACs and not try to integrate any unnecessary complications. Not interested either in Chord streamers as RW has zero involvement. They will be marked up on the backbone of RW's DACs. I'm more than happy with my current portable optical music source which is on par with desktop streamers as they essentially use the same parts internally for 1/10 the cost:

bdp.png

https://www.moon-audio.com/bryston-bdp-pi-digital-player.html

But I'm moving on from my primary project and wanted to dabble in a general purpose project. Since I unlocked the ability to "Make your own DAC (MYOD)" with wireless UI utilising low-powered USB DAC/AMPs, I wanted to experiment with sub-$200 devices for my general purpose needs. I considered Khadas, NX4, DragonFly etc. but I fortunately came to my senses and just stuck with the Mojo even though it was pass budget. I figure in the long-term I'm saving money because the "Chi-Fi" stuff becomes useless in 3 months and my ears tire easily from them. Those "Chi-Fi" stuff should pay me for medical expenses since it hurts my ears... Luckily the Mojo @399 was close enough to Cobalt @299 so can skip the Cobalt. I can even selI the Mojo battery brand new to further justify if my budget was strict since I can run in battery-less "desktop mode" or possibly straight from a USB battery pack (so @340 est. vs @299). I prefer the accuracy of Chord DACs as they don't fatigue my ears.

My dream 3.5mm, 2-pin portable cable won't be ready until after summer so I'm no where near ready for a Mojo2, but I'm just preparing a backup plan if released. Maybe this will be a secondary SQ portable project instead of a general purpose project if that happens though the Mojo2 would serve both SQ and general purposes quite well.

I guess my Mojo2 wish list would be same battery mgmt as H2, SQ upgrade, RF-proof, no battery (can run off usb battery bank) and a volume cap since we use for gaming and kids don't pay close attention to volume (Mojo can get quite loud).

Anyways, I'll eventually end up with a Mojo2 down the line. But it would be amazing if released this month, it would complete my secondary SQ project in an instant without even planning for this project. If the Mojo was @499, I would waited it out for the Mojo2.
Have you also heard a good R2R DAC?

Feb 10, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #39,836 of 42,765
Have you also heard a good R2R DAC?

I was the first one to own a Stealth Tera Player for almost 5 years. I don't comment on it as I'm a low volume casual hobbyist and my memory is not so good these days.

I also was one of the first to rockbox 1G iPod and iRiver before FLAC became a thing.

I do miss the remote. I don't understand why we don't have nice remotes nowadays. finally have a nice1 in iPeng on iPhone now.

remote_lcd.jpg

First to own a CIEM living in Asia (Hong Kong) in early 2000s. Asia CIEM ownership has skyrocketed since then..

For general purpose I considered a PecanPi R2R @$225. I should be able to request the XLR to be removed.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eneration-raspberry-pi-dac-and-streamer.6952/

IMG_0351.jpg

The problem is it wants 9V. I figured out later I maybe able to use this 9V booster cable w/ a battery pack:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2777

Single ended output impedance: 0.050 ohm via RCAs. No amp needed.

I also considered Soekris dac1101 R2R:

dac1101_front.jpg

I should be able to build my own dap with wireless UI with both.

I seriously considered the Attraction R2R DAC at one time before Chord arrived on the scene...

Attr_1.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm near the finish line in this hobby and don't have the energy to experiment with R2R anymore. I handed in my two week's notice here. I'm just going to upgrade mobile Chord DACs going forward until the tech reaches DAVE territory in the future.

My final project is soundproofing dampening utilising car audio MLV, CCF, CLD,etc. CIEMs provide -26db isolation. I want more, I want near sound proof to get rid of ambient/white noise so going to experiement on sound isolation around the head/ear area:

ccf.png

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #39,837 of 42,765
To be honest, Chord should just make a DAP and kill the Mojo.

I hope not :wink: Mojo is small and can be fed sound both from mobile and PC so it works perfectly well on desktop (i.e. at the hotel) as well as in plane or train. If it could run automatically without using batteries when connected to power source like some iFi devices it would be great. DAP would be pointless for my use case. If Chord would make a DAP based on updated Mojo and released updated Mojo jointly I wouldn't mind.

Feb 11, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #39,839 of 42,765
Bought my Mojo used from an individual who put about 300hrs on it. I get about 7 to 8hrs playing Tidal hi res to 32ohm headphones.

Wow. Is that via USB input?

Yes, I get longer battery life using optical rather that USB. But I mostly use Poly, so stuck with USB.

Noted, thanks. Unfortunately I don't have a source with optical :\

Feb 11, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #39,840 of 42,765
I was the first one to own a Stealth Tera Player for almost 5 years. I don't comment on it as I'm a low volume casual hobbyist and my memory is not so good these days.

I also was one of the first to rockbox 1G iPod and iRiver before FLAC became a thing.

I do miss the remote. I don't understand why we don't have nice remotes nowadays. finally have a nice1 in iPeng on iPhone now.

remote_lcd.jpg

First to own a CIEM living in Asia (Hong Kong) in early 2000s. Asia CIEM ownership has skyrocketed since then..

For general purpose I considered a PecanPi R2R @$225. I should be able to request the XLR to be removed.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eneration-raspberry-pi-dac-and-streamer.6952/

IMG_0351.jpg

The problem is it wants 9V. I figured out later I maybe able to use this 9V booster cable w/ a battery pack:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2777

Single ended output impedance: 0.050 ohm via RCAs. No amp needed.

I also considered Soekris dac1101 R2R:

dac1101_front.jpg

I should be able to build my own dap with wireless UI with both.

I seriously considered the Attraction R2R DAC at one time before Chord arrived on the scene...

Attr_1.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm near the finish line in this hobby and don't have the energy to experiment with R2R anymore. I handed in my two week's notice here. I'm just going to upgrade mobile Chord DACs going forward until the tech reaches DAVE territory in the future.

My final project is soundproofing dampening utilising car audio MLV, CCF, CLD,etc. CIEMs provide -26db isolation. I want more, I want near sound proof to get rid of ambient/white noise so going to experiement on sound isolation around the head/ear area:

ccf.png
Hmm alright. Because I've read that a good R2R DAC like the Audio GD-11 (which is around the price range of the Mojo) may be more full bodied, bassier and natural sounding according to several user impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back