Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 31, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #39,766 of 42,765
I don't know much about the subject, but I know that my Android Samsung S9 bought in 2019 needs OTG to work with the MoJo.

I've used many different kinds of USB cables with android (many different models). The phone will ask you what function you're using USB for and shouldn't have a problem.

I've used a USB-C to USB-B cable before with an old DAC and it worked just fine.

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #39,767 of 42,765
I've used many different kinds of USB cables with android (many different models). The phone will ask you what function you're using USB for and shouldn't have a problem.

I've used a USB-C to USB-B cable before with an old DAC and it worked just fine.

For me non-OTG did not work with the S9 and I even went into developer mode, etc. Above in this same thread I asked the question and was advised to get OTG. Then it worked like a charm. I ended up using this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182642897787

Of course, not sure how shipping from China is affected these days by the health situation.

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #39,768 of 42,765
For me non-OTG did not work with the S9 and I even went into developer mode, etc. Above in this same thread I asked the question and was advised to get OTG. Then it worked like a charm. I ended up using this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182642897787

Of course, not sure how shipping from China is affected these days by the health situation.

What app are you using to push music? Maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm using UAPP and haven't had to purchase an OTG specific cable in a very long time.

I actually fed a BluMk2/Dave combo using the USB-C to USB-B cable previously mentioned and my Pixel 2 XL.

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #39,769 of 42,765
What app are you using to push music? Maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm using UAPP and haven't had to purchase an OTG specific cable in a very long time.

I actually fed a BluMk2/Dave combo using the USB-C to USB-B cable previously mentioned and my Pixel 2 XL.

Yes, this must be it. At the time I was not using UAPP. Currently I use UAPP, but not all the time. I do find the interface in Qobuz better sometimes and also other things like Spotify don't even work with UAPP.

So I guess the answer is that Android users do not need OTG if using the MoJo exclusively through UAPP, otherwise they might need it depending on the phone?

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #39,770 of 42,765
Yes, this must be it. At the time I was not using UAPP. Currently I use UAPP, but not all the time. I do find the interface in Qobuz better sometimes and also other things like Spotify don't even work with UAPP.

So I guess the answer is that Android users do not need OTG if using the MoJo exclusively through UAPP, otherwise they might need it depending on the phone?

Yea, that seems to be the disconnect.

Jan 31, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #39,771 of 42,765
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #39,773 of 42,765

I use UAPP on a Moto X1 and connect to the Mojo via an OTG cable. UAPP does not detect Mojo if the connectors are interchanged.

Jan 31, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #39,775 of 42,765
Jan 31, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #39,777 of 42,765
Aggh. The micro USB input port in my Mojo has just completely detached and is rattling around inside. I've just had a new battery installed and haven't even used it portably for about three years. It's been sitting on my desk connected to my PC via a Superfi cable.

Do you think there's any possibility of a DIY repair or should it go back to Chord? How much do you think for a repair?

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #39,778 of 42,765
Aggh. The micro USB input port in my Mojo has just completely detached and is rattling around inside. I've just had a new battery installed and haven't even used it portably for about three years. It's been sitting on my desk connected to my PC via a Superfi cable.

Do you think there's any possibility of a DIY repair or should it go back to Chord? How much do you think for a repair?
Did you have the battery installed at a service centre?
If you contact Chord support, they will probably advise you to contact the same service centre - maybe the service centre accidently dislodged the socket, and would pay for the repair.

From memory the usb sockets are soldered at 5 locations, one leg at each corner, plus the main flat plate between the socket and circuit board, so it should take quite a bit of force to dislodge the socket.
Having said that, there are occasional reports of the usb ports becoming dislodged.

Overall a diy solution is possible, but only you can balance the cost of a service centre repair, against the hassle/time/cost of a diy repair.

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #39,779 of 42,765

FYI. UAPP > Pixel 2 > Standard USB cable with short adapter (none of the pieces are OTG) > Hugo2 (or substitute Mojo).

Screenshot_20200131-173356.png

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #39,780 of 42,765
Did you have the battery installed at a service centre?
If you contact Chord support, they will probably advise you to contact the same service centre - maybe the service centre accidently dislodged the socket, and would pay for the repair.

From memory the usb sockets are soldered at 5 locations, one leg at each corner, plus the main flat plate between the socket and circuit board, so it should take quite a bit of force to dislodge the socket.
Having said that, there are occasional reports of the usb ports becoming dislodged.

Overall a diy solution is possible, but only you can balance the cost of a service centre repair, against the hassle/time/cost of a diy repair.

The biggest question in this case would be if the actual PCB was damaged, or if the solder joints just failed. If the PCB was damaged it'll be much more costly, but there's no way to know until you crack it open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back