Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 11, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #33,466 of 42,765
You just witness the real MoJo sound as a DAC. Its variable lineout section for headphones is IMO less transparent sounding compared to the Line out mode aka DAC mode

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #33,467 of 42,765
You just witness the real MoJo sound as a DAC. Its variable lineout section for headphones is IMO less transparent sounding compared to the Line out mode aka DAC mode

What? Sorry, but line-level preset doesn't bypass anything and there is no other 'DAC' mode. Pressing both buttons is only a digital volume preset to 3Vrms and there is nothing internally bypassed.

Aug 12, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #33,469 of 42,765
yip, there is no line-out mode bypassing the internal amp...so not sure how it can possibly sound less transparent

Let me rephrase what I meant earlier: To me, the digital volume control that is not set to output to 3V sounds less transparent to my ears. I had tried 1.9 V output before and tried to volume match my speakers and it sounds more congested compared to the 3V output

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #33,470 of 42,765
Let me rephrase what I meant earlier: To me, the digital volume control that is not set to output to 3V sounds less transparent to my ears. I had tried 1.9 V output before and tried to volume match my speakers and it sounds more congested compared to the 3V output

That's fair. I found something similar with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. It's maximum from the Mojo without clipping is just under 4V (if my calculation is correct), or 2 clicks above line out. I have also found this seems to provide the most transparency. When I want more "Cavalli sound" I lower the Mojo to 1.9V. But, for convenienc I usually use line out (3V). But, how you get to 3V or any other volume setting does not matter (moving the volume up and down to 3V or using the power on shortcut). It is EXACTLY the same. Other posters were reacting to the notion that how you got to 3V matters, which it does not and you may not have been implying that.

Aug 13, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #33,471 of 42,765

Unless you have both Outputs connected as for example, one for Amplifier, one for headphone, there is no reason for such behavior.
THD+Noise vs Output Voltage for Mojo is steady and min. for a wide voltage range.
Probably even more than the 0.2Vrms-3Vrms you may found around in some non official measurements.
Add that most Amplifiers have impedance inputs in the 10k/100k Ohms therefore in principle you should have no SQ differences between 1.9Vrms or 3Vrms line out.
Now, that said, your observations may be right and some other parameters ( ground currents?) need to be taken into account.
It is an interesting point since many are reporting less SQ when using external amps.
Rgds.

Aug 13, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #33,472 of 42,765
Honestly, i was thinking what is the hype with mojo, my alienware r3 2017 outputs sound really good and I was using bose qc35 before. Then i recently bought the hdvd800, hd800s and chord mojo, still I was feeling like that king who had no clothes but others said great dress. i was contemplating keeping my hdvd800 and selling mojo. To train myself I have been listening to the same 5 songs for a week training my ear to pick up nuances. it was only when I paired mojo with hd8vd800 that my 'wow' moment kicked in so I have decided to keep all 3. Also, i was planning to sell my very old z5500 speakers but now seeing the what a good dac can do, i am planning to connect mojo to the z5500 to see how much it improves. I agree with the veterans and above that something is happening that is making my system sound very very good when i do line out vs just plain mojo.

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #33,473 of 42,765
Unless you have both Outputs connected as for example, one for Amplifier, one for headphone, there is no reason for such behavior.
THD+Noise vs Output Voltage for Mojo is steady and min. for a wide voltage range.
Probably even more than the 0.2Vrms-3Vrms you may found around in some non official measurements.
Add that most Amplifiers have impedance inputs in the 10k/100k Ohms therefore in principle you should have no SQ differences between 1.9Vrms or 3Vrms line out.
Now, that said, your observations may be right and some other parameters ( ground currents?) need to be taken into account.
It is an interesting point since many are reporting less SQ when using external amps.
Rgds.

Hi, I think your reply may have been directed to me. I'll add a little. As I stated, I'm running the Mojo into the LC on high gain and driving the HiFiMan HE-6 which are very inefficient. When keeping the overall volume the same, higher Mojo (less LC re is less colored sound, and vice-versa when Mojo is lower and LC is higher. But the LC sounds so sweet!

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #33,474 of 42,765
All of this says that our ears hear differently and thus you find the setting that sounds best to your ears. To me, 3V line out to an amp or preamp is how Mojo sounds best to me. Any lower than that it sounds congested to me.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #33,476 of 42,765
Don't want to hijack this thread but can't find an answer anywhere, and Chord and Oppo have failed to provide me with one.

Does anyone use the Mojo as a USB dac for the oppo bdp 105d? If so, how? When I try to connect, the oppo says 'not recognised'...im guessing it needs drivers, like a pc....

Thanks in advance...

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #33,477 of 42,765
Don't want to hijack this thread but can't find an answer anywhere, and Chord and Oppo have failed to provide me with one.

Does anyone use the Mojo as a USB dac for the oppo bdp 105d? If so, how? When I try to connect, the oppo says 'not recognised'...im guessing it needs drivers, like a pc....

Thanks in advance...
I cannot see any posts referring to using the Mojo in that manner. @maxh22 has a 105, so maybe he can offer some suggestions.

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #33,478 of 42,765

Thanks in advance...

I have an Oppo105d and Mojo connected optical. There are no USB outputs on the Oppo. All outputs are analog, optical, and coax. All USB ports are inputs for storage drives. For what it's worth, the optical sounds fantastic. Better than USB from my iMac using Audirvana and better than my iPhone using Onkyo HF Player. Much better. To be fair, optical cannot use the data clock in the Mojo because it's a USB clock but I suspect that the optical data clock in the Oppo is very very good because I don't detect jitter. And I'm using a decent optical cable.
Edit: There is also a USB audio input. It's a type B USB port, like a printer USB port, but it can't help you because its only an input to plug into a computer to make the Oppo a USB DAC.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #33,479 of 42,765

Thanks in advance...

Page 85 of the Oppo BDP-105 User Manual does not include USB Audio Out as an output. It only supports USB Audio In. Page 19 tells you how to use Optical or Coax outputs to send digital out.

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #33,480 of 42,765

Thanks in advance...

I have an Oppo105d and Mojo connected optical. There are no USB outputs on the Oppo. All outputs are analog, optical, and coax. All USB ports are inputs for storage drives. For what it's worth, the optical sounds fantastic. Better than USB from my iMac using Audirvana and better than my iPhone using Onkyo HF Player. Much better. To be fair, optical cannot use the data clock in the Mojo because it's a USB clock but I suspect that the optical data clock in the Oppo is very very good because I don't detect jitter. And I'm using a decent optical cable.
Edit: There is also a USB audio input. It's a type B USB port, like a printer USB port, but it can't help you because its only an input to plug into a computer to make the Oppo a USB DAC.

As others have pointed out, the Oppo doesn't have an analog in so you can't use it as a headphone amp.

FWIW, I also strongly agree and have stated in the past on this thread that the optical output is fantastic as a source and is really clean and musical sounding with no harshness to speak of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back