Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 8, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #33,452 of 42,765
While this is normally true, I thought of a crazy experiment: first DAC > ADC > second DAC = combined sound of two DACs! I wonder if it would work. hehe

Lol, sure it would work... but why?! Sample, interpolate missing samples, sample again, interpolate missing samples again.

???? :)

Aug 8, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #33,454 of 42,765
Mojo is great with IEMs!
DSC03711.jpg

Aug 8, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #33,455 of 42,765
today I got c2g digital coaxial to optical converter. I did not want to buy an expensive dap with optical out . so I fed fiio x3 2nd gen digital coaxial out to c2g converter. fiio L21 cable with few ferrites removed all RFI and emi effect , also c2g converter was powered with 4AA battery pack instead of supplied ac adapter. converter's optical out was fed to mojo and Hugo. sound this way had better focus to vocals and better bass definition while retaining black background of ferrite core attached L21 cable feeding directly to coaxial input of mojo/Hugo. the c2g converter is not yet broken in, still sounding already better in many areas than digital coaxial route.

Aug 8, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #33,456 of 42,765
today I got c2g digital coaxial to optical converter. I did not want to buy an expensive dap with optical out . so I fed fiio x3 2nd gen digital coaxial out to c2g converter. fiio L21 cable with few ferrites removed all RFI and emi effect , also c2g converter was powered with 4AA battery pack instead of supplied ac adapter. converter's optical out was fed to mojo and Hugo. sound this way had better focus to vocals and better bass definition while retaining black background of ferrite core attached L21 cable feeding directly to coaxial input of mojo/Hugo. the c2g converter is not yet broken in, still sounding already better in many areas than digital coaxial route.

In tests I've done using Sonos to Hugo in hifi I've always preferred Co-ax to Optical and have run three DAPs using coax. Surprised adding an extra converter into chain gives better sound.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #33,458 of 42,765
Anyone running Mojo with Genelec G One 2017 active speakers? How do they sound?
This year the Finish company Genelec has released the newer models (the Genelec G One-A 2013-2017 active speaker has the datasheet here).

I thought of getting Genelecs, but ended up with floorstanders. What I can tell you is that my JBL LSR305 (active) sounds great and my Klipsch RP-250F (passive) sounds spectacular, and the Mojo just brings them to the next level.

Aug 9, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #33,460 of 42,765
Anyone running Mojo with Genelec G One 2017 active speakers? How do they sound?
This year the Finish company Genelec has released the newer models (the Genelec G One-A 2013-2017 active speaker has the datasheet here).

I haven't heard that they upgraded their G-series speakers. I have a pair of M040's and I'm enjoying them very much. I haven't tried them with Mojo, but due to a recent move into a new city, I'm likely to hook them up with Mojo soon.

Aug 9, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #33,461 of 42,765
Today I've picked up from the post the Genelec G One speakers, 2017 model. Overall my working desk looks as below:

IMG_1688.JPG

Genelec G One in the back. I have raised the TABLETOP switch while the other ones are down. I've noticed that the level of the signal is pretty loud in the speakers while I have inserted in the same time the Shure SE846 earphones in the other 3.5mm jack of Mojo. I am trying to keep Genelec and Shure equipment kind of the same volume level, so that I don't overload the Shure earphones by mistake if I would use the -10dB attenuation switch.

For those who want higher attenuation, they can use the LEVEL -10dB switch:

IMG_1696.JPG

Now I am able to listen DSDs/FLAC/whatever files with Audirvana Plus (you need to purchase a license) on my iMac 27":

IMG_1689.JPG

Worth the investment? Definitely yes! I've bought the Genelec One speakers from Reference Audio in Stockholm, since I live in this city.

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #33,463 of 42,765
What's the fix for the faint whine while charging?
The fix is to read the FAQ contained in post #3

A - The noise is due to ripple voltage on the charger upsetting the inductors/capacitors within Mojo. If you use a clean quality PSU & a low resistance USB cable to the charger PSU the mechanical noise should be silent or insignificant.
A - The problem is a noisy USB VBUS power line, & this makes the inductors in Mojo vibrate. Also, some USB cables have high resistance, & this makes the problem worse - so using a different cable can make the mechanical noise go away. The PSU itself can make it better or worse. Don't worry about it if you hear the noise, Mojo is not faulty & will continue to be reliable.

Q - is it normal to have the mojo make a hissing sound (ie the unit itself, audio output is fine) when plugged in to power? brand new unit but it makes this weird noise when its plugged in (both when off and on). the hissing dies down when i plug in the signal cable (unit still off), not sure if i should send my unit back.
A - It's normal - it is the charging regulator going into low power mode. Don't worry, there is nothing wrong.

A - Further testing on the charger and cable compatibility. Chosen Anker PowerPort 5 for good measured performance and multi-port charging with Anker PowerLine due to good construction with braid + foil shielding. All are available at a reasonable price.

Case 1: Virtually silent, only heard very minor hiss when ear is pretty much on the unit
Case 2: Only noticeable hiss when you put your ears near the unit
Case 3: Loud whine lasting the only the first few seconds, faint charging noise after that.
Case 4: Loud whine, and it goes on for a few seconds and off for a few (voltage drop causing charging circuit to shut down)

Combo 1: Sony or Samsung charger + Sony or Samsung USB cable + extension cord = Case 4

Combo 2: Sony or Samsung charger + Any cable = Case 3

Combo 3: Apple 1A charger + Sony or Samsung USB cable = Case 2

Combo 4: Anker charger + Sony or Samsung USB cable = Case 2, slightly quieter than combo 3

Combo 5: Sony or Samsung charger + long 6ft Anker cable (same cable length as Combo 1) = Case 3

Combo 6: Apple 1A charger + Anker cable/Chord Mojo's bundled cable = Case 1

Combo 7: Anker charger + Anker cable/Chord Mojo's bundled cable = Case 1, slightly quieter than combo 6 directly compared, with no pattern to the noise (always the same loudness)

Anker PowerPort is tested at it's worse case scenario(unloaded), the ripple and spike measurements are better when the charger is fully loaded with devices. The Anker charger have noticeable more steady noise pattern than the Apple charger even with the best cable connected, the Apple charger's noise ripples in loudness and the Anker one is very steady at the same amplitude.

A - In short:

If you already have a Apple charger handy, just getting a quality USB cable like the one I've tested will yield noticeable gain, especially if you are using longer cables.

If you don't have an Apple charger, getting an Anker charger with their PowerLine cables will yield the best possible result without going to go with a lab bench linear power supply. Having a multiport desktop charager will also allow you to run shorter cables.

Link where I bought them:
Anker PowerPort 5: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VTI8K9K
Anker PowerLine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014H3GKZ4

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #33,465 of 42,765
Progress report :)
HD800s with chord mojo - OK
HDVD800 with HD800s - OK
Bought the RCA cable out as suggested (Thank you) and my setup is chromecast audio---->Chord mojo--RCA out to HDVD800--->HD800s. Now, I noticed i had to press the two volumes at once when turning mojo on (line level). However, when I put the balanced cable that came with my HD800s. I was blown away! Never I had imagined that the simple you tube videos sounded so amazing. Every little nuances of instruments can be heard. Now this is thru normal you tube videos and the mojo shows color orange. Now the thing bugging me is how do I play higher sample rate files. So far I have 32 bit flacs, dsd and when I cast it via powerdvd to chromecast the color is still red/orange (have written to mojo but no reply yet). I cannot get it to cast any higher.
Any suggestions (cable/software), help would be appreciated. Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back