Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 7, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #33,436 of 42,782
The meenova off cable made no difference with regard to getting Mojo to work with apps other than UAPP. Confirmed: not a cable issue.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #33,437 of 42,782
I started a thread about this, but didn't get any real answers: I'm looking for a more aggressive DAC than the Mojo that costs $500 or less. The Modi Multibit is what I'd go for if I can't find a better alternative. Both MMB units I owned made mysterious crackling/popping noises that the manufacturer could not replicate. Back then I only used USB, but perhaps with TOSLINK, it wouldn't do that anymore. I think the Mojo is more refined, but its smoothness is becoming a problem for me with more energetic music. The MMB is affordable enough that I could compare it directly to the Mojo without having to get rid of anything beforehand. (I used to have a 2Qute, MMB, and Fulla 2 at the same time.) Just wanted to check here to see if anyone knew of anything else I should check out.

If I use another DAC, I'd just use a passive preamp for the volume control. I have a Schiit SYS, but it makes scratching noises, so I'd like to try the JDS Labs OL Switcher.

You would be better off getting aggressive speakers to be honest, even though dacs can do incredible things to part of the sound its only a very small portion of the overall final sound quality.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #33,438 of 42,782
The meenova off cable made no difference with regard to getting Mojo to work with apps other than UAPP. Confirmed: not a cable issue.

I have never been able to get audio output from any other apps than UAPP to any dac/amp i have used on Android 5/6/7

When asked about this in the android thread people said its impossible to make apps like youtube or movie apps to work with usb audio out.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #33,443 of 42,782
I think the Schiit signature sound is aggressive so have you tried Bifrost multibit i think that might be around $500? you seemed to like the modi so i thought of that.

The Bifrost Multibit is $599 and is identical to the $249 Modi Multibit aside from the power supply, chassis, and modular upgradeability in the case of the Bifrost.

Also when you have many different dacs all lined up side by side and do level matched comparisons the differences are wayyyy smaller than you believe compared going from one to another with breaks in between.

I've done that. They sound very different on my system, especially wnen comparing entry-level DACs to Chord.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #33,444 of 42,782
I think the Schiit signature sound is aggressive so have you tried Bifrost multibit i think that might be around $500? you seemed to like the modi so i thought of that.

Not sure which Schiit you demoed, but Bifrost Multibit is definitely not aggressive nor bright at least compared to some Sabre DACs. It's pretty neutral overall and if the track recalls for aggression, both Mojo and Schiit deliver them without lacking energy. Mojo definitely is smoother though, but on my speakers, I prefer the less polite Schiit since it makes the speakers more alive sounding than Mojo.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #33,445 of 42,782
Not sure which Schiit you demoed, but Bifrost Multibit is definitely not aggressive nor bright at least compared to some Sabre DACs. It's pretty neutral overall and if the track recalls for aggression, both Mojo and Schiit delivers them without lacking energy. Mojo definitely is smoother though, but on my speakers, I prefer the less polite Schiit since it makes the speakers more alive sounding than Mojo.
i dont demo i buy. it was the Modi 1, Modi Multibt and Vallhalla 2.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #33,446 of 42,782
Not sure which Schiit you demoed, but Bifrost Multibit is definitely not aggressive nor bright at least compared to some Sabre DACs. It's pretty neutral overall and if the track recalls for aggression, both Mojo and Schiit delivers them without lacking energy. Mojo definitely is smoother though, but on my speakers, I prefer the less polite Schiit since it makes the speakers more alive sounding than Mojo.

When I first tried the Mojo with the speakers, I preferred it in every way...but after spending more time with it, the smoothness became problematic for more energetic music, especially metal...so now I will probably go back to the Modi Multibit, primarily because I think it does a better job reproducing the aggression in music. (Though the Mojo is more refined to my ears.)

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #33,447 of 42,782
In my experience, there are only minor differences between driving the HD 800 from the Mojo and HDVD 800.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I've ordered the RCA cable. Can you please educate me on how the signal processing 'will occur' once I have chord mojo driving HDVD800. As in my mind I see, Laptop output --->> Chromecast audio (does DAC processing occur here?)----> Chord Mojo (does Dac processing occur here?)----> HDVD800 (using the 3.55 to RCA from mojo, does DAC processing occur here?)-->HD800s. In my mind, since the chromecast is the first link in the chain, the signal is already manipulated before it reaches the amplifier thru mojo/hdvd800. Thank you

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #33,448 of 42,782
Can you please educate me on how the signal processing 'will occur' once I have chord mojo driving HDVD800. As in my mind I see, Laptop output --->> Chromecast audio (does DAC processing occur here?)----> Chord Mojo (does Dac processing occur here?)----> HDVD800 (using the 3.55 to RCA from mojo, does DAC processing occur here?)-->HD800s. In my mind, since the chromecast is the first link in the chain, the signal is already manipulated before it reaches the amplifier thru mojo/hdvd800.

I've never used Chromecast, but the Mojo only has digital inputs and analog outputs. The Mojo would do the digital to analog conversion and the HDVD 800 would just be used as an amp when you connect to its analog inputs.

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #33,449 of 42,782
Thank you, I've ordered the RCA cable. Can you please educate me on how the signal processing 'will occur' once I have chord mojo driving HDVD800. As in my mind I see, Laptop output --->> Chromecast audio (does DAC processing occur here?)----> Chord Mojo (does Dac processing occur here?)----> HDVD800 (using the 3.55 to RCA from mojo, does DAC processing occur here?)-->HD800s. In my mind, since the chromecast is the first link in the chain, the signal is already manipulated before it reaches the amplifier thru mojo/hdvd800. Thank you

DAC means Digital to Analogue Converter. The Mojo only accepts a digital input so it is not possible to have a DAC used before it, feeding it an analogue signal. That doesn't mean there isn't any Digital Signal Processing before the Mojo, DSP, like a digital equalizer, or some other digital 'enhancement'. If using the analogue inputs, RCA, of the HDVD800 then you are feeding the analogue signal converted from the Mojo.

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #33,450 of 42,782
[QUOTE="If using the analogue inputs, RCA, of the HDVD800 then you are feeding the analogue signal converted from the Mojo.[/QUOTE]

So the chromecast connected to the chord mojo via optical is just acting as a chord poly and just supplying the music signal to the mojo for DAC conversion?
Interesting, so the analogue signal converted by the mojo goes thru the hdvd800 and the hdvd800 thinks "ah, there was an external dac used, I'll just amplify it and uses its amp which it is well regarded for" or does the HDVD800 thinks " ah, here is the analogue signal i dont trust it, I'll convert it to digital and then to my analog via my own dac and amplify it"?

Appreciate the helpful responses to build up my knowledge

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back