Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 7, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #33,421 of 42,773
It's hard, they're both fantastic DACs. With my IEMs (ie800 and SE846), I feel like I'm getting more power out of the BL; it sounds fuller. But the Mojo definitely has more finesse.

Mojo wins hands down for portability, but the BL has better battery life. I don't get any EMI interface at all with OTG'ing with my phone on the BL.

Tough call man.
Yes, the BL definitely has more power in its shell. In fact, as a portable amp, it's one of the most powerful I've ever seen.

The Mojo, to my ears, is the slightly more resolving of the 2. I'd take either in a heartbeat, when it comes down to sound. If you take it as a whole package however, the Mojo wins hands down. The BL is simply not very transportable, due to its size and its shape - it's not very good when stacked.

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #33,422 of 42,773
I started a thread about this, but didn't get any real answers: I'm looking for a more aggressive DAC than the Mojo that costs $500 or less. The Modi Multibit is what I'd go for if I can't find a better alternative. Both MMB units I owned made mysterious crackling/popping noises that the manufacturer could not replicate. Back then I only used USB, but perhaps with TOSLINK, it wouldn't do that anymore. I think the Mojo is more refined, but its smoothness is becoming a problem for me with more energetic music. The MMB is affordable enough that I could compare it directly to the Mojo without having to get rid of anything beforehand. (I used to have a 2Qute, MMB, and Fulla 2 at the same time.) Just wanted to check here to see if anyone knew of anything else I should check out.

If I use another DAC, I'd just use a passive preamp for the volume control. I have a Schiit SYS, but it makes scratching noises, so I'd like to try the JDS Labs OL Switcher.

Have you tried the Musical Fidelity V90 DAC, it is available Amazon USA, so you can return it if it is not to your taste.

I power mine with a 12 Volt car battery, I believe it has the speed, punch and dynamics that you are looking for in a speaker based system.

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #33,423 of 42,773
The Audiosanctuary page for the Hugo 2 states We Are Unable To Deliver To Addresses in Either US or Canada
Their page for Poly states PLEASE NOTE:- Due to contractual reasons we are unable to dispatch this product to countries outside of the EU.
So I think US/Canada customers will have to buy from their local dealers.

What's confusing is that it says "We are able to ship to United States" at the top, then further down the page, it says what you mentioned. I believe I read somewhere that they do ship to the US if you get in touch with them. Doesn't matter to me either way since I won't buy it just yet, and I'd like to learn more about how it compares to the Yggdrasil first. (Opinions go both ways and it's hard to tell how they really sound with so many conflicting reports.) I may even wait until I've upgraded to speakers that cost more than either DAC.

Have you tried the Musical Fidelity V90 DAC, it is available Amazon USA, so you can return it if it is not to your taste.

I power mine with a 12 Volt car battery, I believe it has the speed, punch and dynamics that you are looking for in a speaker based system.

Cool, thanks for the rec. Haven't heard that one. I don't suppose you know how it compares to the Modi Multibit?

I'm playing music on my new (but actually used) Klipsch RP-250F floorstanding speakers for the first time. They sound so radically different from my JBL LSR305 nearfield monitors! Hauntingly realistic at times...but other times there are still aspects the JBLs excel in. I've compared a good number of DACs with the JBLs, but this is the first time I'm hearing the Klipsch, so I'm not able to tell how much of the sound is attributed to the Mojo. This is also the first time I've owned floorstanders. I can feel the floor shake. Heck, I can feel my organs shake! It's like an earthquake up in here. lol

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #33,424 of 42,773
Why is the Mojo just ~$420 brand new on amazon.co.jp? Is there something fishy going on?

Ordinarily I'd assume that was dodgy ('d be tempted to think it was a re-packaged customer-return item), but it's interesting that it's being fulfilled by Amazon, at that price (not sold by Amazon, but fulfilled by their warehouse).

So, this onlooker is unsure.

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #33,425 of 42,773
Ordinarily I'd assume that was dodgy ('d be tempted to think it was a re-packaged customer-return item), but it's interesting that it's being fulfilled by Amazon, at that price (not sold by Amazon, but fulfilled by their warehouse).

So, this onlooker is unsure.

And the thing is, countless Amazon.co.jp sellers are selling it "new" at such a low price. I thought this wasn't allowed.

Any thoughts, Chord? @Mojo ideas @Rob Watts

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #33,426 of 42,773
This is also the first time I've owned floorstanders. I can feel the floor shake. Heck, I can feel my organs shake! It's like an earthquake up in here. lol
I decided to change to floorstanders, when I realised that standmounts could not handle instruments such as the double bass very well.
Add the Mojo or Hugo 2 as the source, and suddenly you can hear the extended bass notes, fully controlled without any hint of smearing.
I think you have many hours of enjoyment ahead of you.

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #33,428 of 42,773
I decided to change to floorstanders, when I realised that standmounts could not handle instruments such as the double bass very well.
Add the Mojo or Hugo 2 as the source, and suddenly you can hear the extended bass notes, fully controlled without any hint of smearing.
I think you have many hours of enjoyment ahead of you.

:slight_smile:

One of the main reasons I upgraded to these was because small nearfields could only project the instruments on a stage relative to their size: so, on the stands, everything was limited to the area at head height. Now the illusion of the instruments being in the room with me is more convincing, and certainly not only because of size. And yeah, the bass is another experience entirely with these.

Several Chord prices are slightly lower than a year ago, usually attributed to the changes in exchange rates (triggered by the Brexit environment).

The Mojo is £399 (about $520) in the UK and $498 in the US. Exchange rates would not cause it to be a hundred dollars lower than that in Japan. Somebody needs to get to the bottom of this.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #33,431 of 42,773
Indeed. My point is though that the price does seem to be in the ballpark for Japan, even in physical shops with a good reputation.

The pound has fallen catastrophically against the yen in the period Mojo has been available here, so it may be a rare case of the consequences of currency fluctuations actually benefiting consumers.

Aug 7, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #33,432 of 42,773
The pound has fallen catastrophically against the yen in the period Mojo has been available here

Ah, so it's possible that the Japanese market was instructed by Chord to sell for so-and-so yen, so their price didn't change (only its equivalent USD value) since it was based on yen instead of pounds. This is mere speculation, of course, until Chord chime in and tell the story behind it. At any rate, this presents a problem for those selling their Mojo on the used market.

Aug 7, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #33,433 of 42,773
Help! the audiophile bug hit me and fortunately I had the funds to buy hdvd800, hd800s and chord mojo. Considering the hdvd800 dac is subpar with mojo. i want to use mojo as the input to hdvd800 amp..but I dont know how to do this, what cables I need or even if this is possible? Hence request help from the knowledgeable experts out there. Also a silly question is bugging me. I have the mojo connected to chromecast audio which I send files thru my pc, would the pc dac converted the signals + chromecast audio dac ---> chord mojo dac, in essence what I am listening to is an adulterated signal?

Aug 7, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #33,434 of 42,773
Help! the audiophile bug hit me and fortunately I had the funds to buy hdvd800, hd800s and chord mojo. Considering the hdvd800 dac is subpar with mojo. i want to use mojo as the input to hdvd800 amp..but I dont know how to do this, what cables I need or even if this is possible?

All you need are the right cables. Here are some I have that you could get:

3.5 mm to dual XLR: https://www.amazon.com/AxcessAbles-TRS18-DXLR403M-Stereo-Breakout-Audio/dp/B01AS5N8BE
3.5 mm to dual RCA: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=665

In my experience, there are only minor differences between driving the HD 800 from the Mojo and HDVD 800.

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #33,435 of 42,773
There's a DAP which looks like a really good contender, on the Head-Fi home page right now. Cayin N3 high-res player £150. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ca...audio-player-black.22343/reviews#review-18975

Very tempting.

Since I have run into trouble with my first phone as a file transport, I might just get this DAP. .. It does OTG. The USB port does USB or coaxial out.

IMG_20170517_224854.jpg IMG_20170517_224550.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back