Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 5, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #33,395 of 42,788
GOG created this spreadsheet https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-1719#post-13008622
3V and 4 clicks of -ve will give you 1.9v, so a few more clicks should give you 1.4V.

As I mentioned, I would be using the Mojo as a digital preamp, controlling the volume of the power amp with it. So I would simply start out low and increase to my desired level, frequently changing the volume with each song as I normally do.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #33,396 of 42,788
As I mentioned, I would be using the Mojo as a digital preamp, controlling the volume of the power amp with it. So I would simply start out low and increase to my desired level, frequently changing the volume with each song as I normally do.

@Music Alchemist I recommend to use passive preamp. my mojo very rarely outputs maximum volume white noise when Mojo's FPGA got crashed. it may blow your loudspeakers.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #33,399 of 42,788
lWp6Pc7jp1ZOpfgydiZ311-Es6rOXNwXohO_WDvB-hI.jpg

Still loving this little unit! It's my go-to for portable amplification.

Aug 6, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #33,401 of 42,788
I'm using TOSLINK, which electrically isolates the DAC. Are there still things I need to worry about?
I suspect that there are only three ways to get the Mojo to output that max level of white noise:
  • faulty component within Mojo - this is the first report of white noise that I can remember, and Chord have sold 50,000+ Mojos, so the risk for you is very low
  • maybe one of the internal components temporarily overheated, leading to a corrupted packet of music data - but it would be strange for a component to overheat for only a second, especially when the Mojo has 3 thermal cutout circuits.
  • faulty music data sent to the Mojo - I think that this is the most likely root cause - but you are already fastidious about ensuring a high quality data source for your dacs, so I think that the risk would be very low for you.
I will now wait for Sodds Law to swing into operation, resulting in several posters reporting the same issue. :)

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #33,402 of 42,788
I started a thread about this, but didn't get any real answers: I'm looking for a more aggressive DAC than the Mojo that costs $500 or less. The Modi Multibit is what I'd go for if I can't find a better alternative. Both MMB units I owned made mysterious crackling/popping noises that the manufacturer could not replicate. Back then I only used USB, but perhaps with TOSLINK, it wouldn't do that anymore. I think the Mojo is more refined, but its smoothness is becoming a problem for me with more energetic music. The MMB is affordable enough that I could compare it directly to the Mojo without having to get rid of anything beforehand. (I used to have a 2Qute, MMB, and Fulla 2 at the same time.) Just wanted to check here to see if anyone knew of anything else I should check out.

If I use another DAC, I'd just use a passive preamp for the volume control. I have a Schiit SYS, but it makes scratching noises, so I'd like to try the JDS Labs OL Switcher.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #33,403 of 42,788
Hi,

I am trying to connect the mojo to my vac amp as a dac using an oppo as the transport into the mojo. I was going to run a 3.5mm cable from the mojo headphone output to the rca input on the VAC. Unfortunately, my nordost coaxial cable is not fitting into the mojo. The nordost coaxial cable termination has a shell on it so the cable does not fit all the way into the mojo coaxial input.

Can someone recommend a quality cable that does fit into the coaxial or a digital cable that goes into the optical input that is ideal for home hifi. I was thinking wireworld supernova 7 for optical unless people prefer the coax input.

thanks

Michael

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #33,404 of 42,788
Can someone recommend a quality cable that does fit into the coaxial or a digital cable that goes into the optical input that is ideal for home hifi. I was thinking wireworld supernova 7 for optical unless people prefer the coax input.

I just use this TOSLINK cable: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=1419

Some say that TOSLINK sounds better than coaxial and USB with the Mojo and Hugo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back