Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 4, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #33,376 of 42,788
I would always turn on Mojo first, and check the volume, before turning on the amp, to be on the safe side. Also, Mojo cannot be used as a "digital preamp" as it only has analog output. You can use it as a Dac/ line source for your amp, but it's output into the amp is analog line most any other line souce.

That's what I was thinking of doing, but I wanted to see if anyone knew more.

It's a digital preamp because the volume control is digital.

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #33,378 of 42,788
Could be semantics, but I would call it a digital volume controlled line source for an amp. And of course, with a DAC before the line source stage.

Well, it's many things. What I'm saying is that it can function as a digital preamp. You'll find this phrase in Chord's official statements too. For example:

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/dave/

The DAC, which is also a reference-level headphone amplifier and 'digital preamp'

You can find thousands of other results with "digital preamp" and "Chord" by clicking here.

The amplification in Chord DAC/amps is in the DAC's analog output stage, though, for those not aware.

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #33,379 of 42,788
was not able to get a dap with optical out at reasonable price . so I ordered c2g digital coaxial to optical converter. I plan to input from fiio X3 2nd gen to this converter. I am already using few ferrite core on fiio L21cable and also plan to feed the c2g converter with a 6v battery pack instead of wall wart. main use will be to check the effect of optical vs coaxial with mojo and Hugo. set up will not be portable so mainly will be used with speaker system. anyone used this c2g converter ?

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #33,380 of 42,788
I know this came up a few times before, but didn't see any answers. I've got a Samsung S8 and want to use the Mojo for things like Spotify. However, when I connect the devices (using a proper USB-C OTG cable) the audio on my S8 cuts out and no sound comes out of the mojo. Even after disconnecting it, the sound is dead until I reboot the phone. I've tried the 'prevent usb audio' setting but all that does is keep the sound working on the phone (still no sound out of the mojo.) Has anyone come up with a proper solution to this?

I've just emailed Chord as well. If I hear back from them I'll reply here.

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #33,382 of 42,788
I went cross-eyed reading this muddled garbage of a sentence.

Excuse me? It's pretty straight forward. Tidal HiFi is a subscription and came first and is defined as 16/44.1 Lossless CD quality. That's Tidal HiFi. The Tidal Masters collection is offered to Tidal HFi subscribers, but it's called Tidal Masters, not Tidal HiFi.. There is a difference between Tidal HiFi and Tidal Masters so when you say Tidal HiFi can be up to 96kHz sampling rate this is incorrect. Tidal albums in the Masters collection (much more limited than HiFi) can be up to 96kHz sampling rate.

Edit: from the Tidal Q&A regarding the difference from the Masters...

"What is the difference between HiFi quality and Master quality sound?

HiFi audio is a superior sound, but is still limited in its resolution — 44.1 kHz/16 bit.

Yet TIDAL has partnered with MQA to deliver something infinitely better: an authenticated and unbroken version (typically 96 kHz/24 bit) with the highest possible resolution — as flawless as it sounded in the mastering suite. And exactly as the artist intended it to sound."

http://tidal.com/gb/mastersfaq

Now, whether you believe what MQA claims or not is a different matter. My point was to the OP that Tidal HiFi is 16/44.1. Not sure why it needs to be dragged on to a debate, or why the need to criticize.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #33,383 of 42,788
Is the Mojo always safe to turn on and off when connected to a turned on power amp and passive speakers?

I got that power amp today. It's larger than I expected and can output up to 750 watts. When I turn the Mojo off with my active speakers connected and turned on, it makes a sound. Not a problem in this case, but I'm not sure if it could be an issue with a really powerful amp. Could it cause it to send all its power into the speakers and potentially damage them? (I'd be using the Mojo as a digital preamp.)

I don't have problems, but to be on the safe side:
  1. Turn Mojo on
  2. Check your line level output does not exceed the amp max input voltage
  3. Switch on the amp
  4. Start the music source

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #33,384 of 42,788
Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #33,385 of 42,788
Life seems so much more complicated for you portable users.

I don't have problems, but to be on the safe side:
  1. Turn Mojo on
  2. Check your line level output does not exceed the amp max input voltage
  3. Switch on the amp
  4. Start the music source

All I see in the specs is input sensitivity: "0.77 V / 26 dB / 1.4 V, switchable @ level control max"

Any thoughts?

I was basically going to start at low volume for both the power amp and Mojo, then work my way up to determine safe levels.

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #33,386 of 42,788
Got in on the Massdrop Mojo! Super pumped!!!

Even found a curious usb cable used to treat my audiophile nervosa....

Any one used mojo with JH audio CIEM's? I just ordered some JH Pro16 v2's.... mind will be blown...

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #33,387 of 42,788
Life seems so much more complicated for you portable users.

All I see in the specs is input sensitivity: "0.77 V / 26 dB / 1.4 V, switchable @ level control max"

Any thoughts?

I was basically going to start at low volume for both the power amp and Mojo, then work my way up to determine safe levels.
GOG created this spreadsheet https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-1719#post-13008622
3V and 4 clicks of -ve will give you 1.9v, so a few more clicks should give you 1.4V.

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #33,389 of 42,788
Got in on the Massdrop Mojo! Super pumped!!!

Even found a curious usb cable used to treat my audiophile nervosa....

Any one used mojo with JH audio CIEM's? I just ordered some JH Pro16 v2's.... mind will be blown...

Congrats! You will be very satisfied with both the Mojo and the Curious cable. Did you purchase the Curious Mojo/Hugo link or are you going to be using a standard Curious with an adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back