Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 15, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #33,496 of 42,765
I've never used Foobar but I imagine it would output DSD over optical as DoP. DSD over PCM (DoP) basically packs the DSD stream into 24/88.2 PCM. There is no difference in sound. Not to worry.

DoP (DSD over PCM, not converted to PCM) is DSD wrapped in a PCM container. It was created to overcome USB's lack of recognizing DSD as a music file without drivers. When a DoP signal reaches a DoP enabled DAC the exact same data is played as the original DSD file. There is no PCM conversion with DoP and the DSD data is identical to the original. The container isn't limited 24/88.2 PCM as DoP can handle different DSD rates which would not relate to a specific sampling rate.

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #33,497 of 42,765
That Would be great, take your time, have not heard from anyone Who used it with mojo so :)

The difference is like night and day I had USB noise From my iMac And the Eitr Cleared it up Well worth it To me.

Aug 15, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #33,498 of 42,765
DoP (DSD over PCM, not converted to PCM) is DSD wrapped in a PCM container. It was created to overcome USB's lack of recognizing DSD as a music file without drivers. When a DoP signal reaches a DoP enabled DAC the exact same data is played as the original DSD file. There is no PCM conversion with DoP and the DSD data is identical to the original. The container isn't limited 24/88.2 PCM as DoP can handle different DSD rates which would not relate to a specific sampling rate.

You are correct. I never said converted. I said packed, I meant wrapped. My bad. The point I was making to the OP was that he will hear DSD in all it's fidelity using optical.

Aug 15, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #33,499 of 42,765
Another moment of madness from me yay, maybe its a local pc problem because im playing around with updates and hpet settings and switching from my carefully placed network usb connection, and ethernet onboard. Powersettings and other PC road-bumps are thoroughly troubleshooted. I havent gone the DAP route yet,

So as a general pc user, im riding the windows/nvidia update train that most of us are forced to make. I dont want to air-gap my PC, for best case audio, i want to get the most out of everything.
Did windows creative update bork the chord driver ecosystem, i tried the latest windows 10 creative update drivers, and it wouldnt install asio, the driver it did install had pops in direct sound, drop outs in wasapi, when switching exclusive modes in video players, and other wierdness, in the end i reinstalled newest, then reverted to 1.0.58.0 the danger drivers i think**, when used with creative update, was expecting blue screen on exclusive, alas nothing, its behaving itself well, latencymon shows good results, i can window/fullscreen video player with no drop outs, bingo.

Been obsessing over this for the last week yay updates haha.

p.s. been using allot of fidelify (spotify 3rd party asio software, also does a stream buffer) and tidal lossless/masters, i think its a step up, for most general usages \o/

EDIT*** Spoke too soon asio/wasapi in foobar worked fine, but when turned on in tidal and i imagine jriver too, it blue screened.. so basically creative update is terrible

EDIT*** 2 deleted the drivers, unplugged, was about to reinstall, instead i plugged it back in again, it gave me 1.0.62.0 and it found asio, i troubleshooted wasapi on jriver and exclusive on tidal, checked for pops, drop outs on direct sound, nothing obvious yet.. Jesus loves me.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #33,500 of 42,765
You are correct. I never said converted. I said packed, I meant wrapped. My bad. The point I was making to the OP was that he will hear DSD in all it's fidelity using optical.

Yeah, apologies, I was talking in general not specifically about your post but the 88.2kHz transmission comment threw me off.

Just for information purposes DoP over optical will likely only transmit DSD64 given the bandwidth limitations of optical, at least that's the max on the Mojo, in case some aren't aware.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #33,501 of 42,765
Actually, Mojo on the Chord site says toslink is capable of 192/24. But many adapters cannot send over 96/24, and some older ones don't send over 44.1/16.

Some people claim that DSD-PCM conversion loses some of the "magic" of DSD, but I have no idea if that's true. I think with DSD128 it should be sending 176/24, which depending on the adapter/soundcard being used, should work in theory. I see this usb-toklink interface for just over 100$, that claims to be able to send up to 24/192. It looks pretty good. For some reason a lot of other similar products have been discontinued.

The issue I suppose is the reduction of jitter and reclocking, which can also be done with USB methods (as well as coax optical) now. At the moment I'm satisfied with the USB sound using Kernal Streaming. Very involving and I cannot detect any effects of jitter that I am usually aware of (fuzzy soundstage, overly rounded edges on instruments, etc.). That said, maybe in six months or so, I'll get the itch to try and ramp it up a notch.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #33,503 of 42,765
Nope, just added KS to Foobar and it works great. Slows computer down a bit, but no problems so far...

It's good to know, following the above conversation, that DSD64 and 128 can be read even via Toslink. DSD256 is a bit of an overkill for me at this point, anyway. The sweet spot for me where I notice a difference with well-mastered stuff is DSD64 and 96/24PCM. Anything higher is just a bonus, but not critical, in my view. My views might change now that I have the mojo.

I am now using the line out feature to a Lehmann BCL and there are some nice improvements. The sound is a touch warmer (which is funny because this amp is considered to be on the cool side of neutral), and the bass has a little more slam factor and body. Actually, the advantages over the headphone output are not huge, but this sound would work well with any very neutral set of cans, I think. I should note that I'm using a basic y-split RCA cable, and that could be diminishing the potential a tiny bit. One thing about having an amp is you get easier control over volume, as well as gain features.

It's good to know that the Mojo will probably sound great in a larger system.

Listening to Charlie Haden and Keith Jarret's duet, Jasmine, ECM, 2010 (HD Tracks 96/24) and everything sounds fantastic. On a lesser dac or system this album can come across a little bit too smooth, not elevator jazz, but I would say, 'dinner music'. With the mojo I feel like I'm in the room with them. So involving.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #33,504 of 42,765
Aug 16, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #33,506 of 42,765
Anything specific as in terms of clarity, soundstage, Air, bass, instrument separation that you noticed improved?

Sorry but no Just a clean signal Which is a definite improvement Over the noisy USB.

Aug 16, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #33,508 of 42,765
Aug 16, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #33,510 of 42,765
I'm currently running my iPhone to mojo to shure se846 and I'm incredibly happy with it. Does anyone have suggestions to bundle it, make it more portable with the cck? I used to run an iPod to a ray samuels using a lod cable and it was so nice and portable compared to the mess that's created by the cck? Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back