Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 13, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #31,081 of 42,765
I use my Mojo as a desktop DAC but I use it on battery and charge overnight. Sometimes I need a little charge and play. (However it doesn't shut down when doing that.)

Ideally a mains powered desktop DAC would be preferential, but I'm OK with the Mojo. It would have been nice if the Mojo had a longer battery life. Meaning it would be enough for daily use for those using it all day.

I did think of a solution to make the Mojo mains powered though. Remove the cover, and unplug the battery. Attach a PSU supplying DC at the right voltage, to the power socket on the Mojo circuit board. (Right voltage being whatever the battery puts out when fully charged.) Modify the case to take the PSU DC cable.

Should work.

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #31,082 of 42,765
Just got my Mojo and 3 hours into the first charge and it gets really warm. My Cayin C5 also get pretty Warm when charging which seems like a norm but still a bit of a worry leaving it unattended overnight. One question though, does the battery comes pre charged as mine is totally flat when ootb. Thanks.

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #31,084 of 42,765
so at hone bass take out side with same track, ar same volune then no bass coming out due to noises coming in. Also I have recorded music and what I engineered is not being duplicated with this set up.

And as I already explained, this has nothing to do with driving headphones and everything to do with how the components in your system alter the sound. If the Mojo was struggling to drive a headphone, it would be at near maximum volume and clipping.

Go here to get a taste of how amplification works: http://apexhifi.com/specs.html

Yeah it's total nonsense. In fact, many many people have asked about using Mojo in this way (i.e. using as a DAC in a hi-fi) and the ONLY issue that gets mentioned (by John, Rob or anyone else) is Mojo's lack of galvanic isolation over USB.
If this particular use case is problematic, why doesn't anyone from Chord say so? Why are we wasting time trying different chargers and cables etc?

Looks like the Hugo 2 has no galvanic isolation either. Wonder if it'll cause any issues for me in the future...

Just got my Mojo and 3 hours into the first charge and it gets really warm. My Cayin C5 also get pretty Warm when charging which seems like a norm but still a bit of a worry leaving it unattended overnight. One question though, does the battery comes pre charged as mine is totally flat when ootb. Thanks.

It is recommended to charge it to full before you first use it. When the charge light goes off, you're good to go.

About $250, hilariously. Get a good price for the used Mojo, and you'll have enough left over to build a clean SPDIF source, or some new music.

So...you're implying that the Modi Multibit sounds better than the Mojo?
blink.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #31,085 of 42,765
He might think the Modi Multibit is better, why question it? I think my 0404 is better than the Mojo or I wouldn't have kept it, sold my mojo, and got a backup 0404.

Oh... the 0404 has an older AKM chip than is used in the non Multibit Modi. the AD5547 in the Multibit I consider to be on the level of the 0404's AKM.

Please also consider taking @jmills8 words at face value. This would make two people who have recorded music in disagreement with your claim 
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #31,086 of 42,765
And as I already explained, this has nothing to do with driving headphones and everything to do with how the components in your system alter the sound. If the Mojo was struggling to drive a headphone, it would be at near maximum volume and clipping.

Go here to get a taste of how amplification works: http://apexhifi.com/specs.html

Looks like the Hugo 2 has no galvanic isolation either. Wonder if it'll cause any issues for me in the future...

It is recommended to charge it to full before you first use it. When the charge light goes off, you're good to go.

So...you're implying that the Modi Multibit sounds better than the Mojo? :blink:  
Thanks for your knowledge. Guess it cant produce what I want on its own. Thanks for your hard work.

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #31,087 of 42,765
@Music Alchemist

Thanks for the advice. As i can't comprehen the kind of warmess people are having when charging, it stil is worrying until i get a few charges tobset my mind free. But the temperature seems to have maintained at the same level during the last few hours of charging. I'll let it charge for the recommended 8 hours minimum first charge as mentioned by the salesperson. Thanks again.

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #31,088 of 42,765
  He might think the Modi Multibit is better, why question it? I think my 0404 is better than the Mojo or I wouldn't have kept it, sold my mojo, and got a backup 0404.

Oh... the 0404 has an older AKM chip than is used in the non Multibit Modi. the AD5547 in the Multibit I consider to be on the level of the 0404's AKM.

Please also consider taking @jmills8 words at face value. This would make two people who have recorded music in disagreement with your claim 
wink.gif

I was asking if that was what he was implying.

And how is that supposed to work, exactly? How does using an external portable amp drive portable, easy to drive headphones better when the Mojo already has more than enough power for even hard to drive headphones? I don't see how this is even possible. It's just coloring the sound, not driving them better.

@Music Alchemist

Thanks for the advice. As i can't comprehen the kind of warmess people are having when charging, it stil is worrying until i get a few charges tobset my mind free. But the temperature seems to have maintained at the same level during the last few hours of charging. I'll let it charge for the recommended 8 hours minimum first charge as mentioned by the salesperson. Thanks again.

It's supposed to get warm when charging, so no worries.

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #31,089 of 42,765

And how is that supposed to work, exactly? How does using an external portable amp drive portable, easy to drive headphones better when the Mojo already has more than enough power for even hard to drive headphones? I don't see how this is even possible. It's just coloring the sound, not driving them better.

It's supposed to get warm when charging, so no worries.

I have had plenty of times I wanted to run my mojo into my cayin c5 or other amps to add bass impact and energy to the whole sound. But, I've had times using 16 ohm headphones when i couldn't get satisfying bass slam from the mojo, even with heavy EQ tricks (i know you know the kind of EQ i do, lol) so i ran it into an amp.

What I will not disagree with is that it's coloring the sound and not driving them "better", because there is no objective better in this circumstance, since my "better" might be maximum bass impact at the expense of overshadowing other freqs with bass (doesn't bother me one bit) whereas "better" to you or another might be a flatter more unaffected FR.

Where I do disagree is that an external amp can't help things like bass impact or presence. I don't think anyone prioritizing uncolored sound over total SPL is adding an external amp anyway, unless it's direct from mojo to power amp to speakers (i did this and it was great).

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #31,090 of 42,765
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could it be that some people miss the traditional purpose built OP amps and buffers that are incorporated into the vast majority of Amps and DAPs?

I know that Relic is a wiz on such things but he may wisely wish not to get involved in such a discussion. 
wink.gif

There is also the impedance matching issue - so nothing ever seems straight forward as much as we would wish! 

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #31,091 of 42,765
Like this

When outdoors just a dap with a good amp can do what I need. Outdoors with the Mojo with iems its all good but with headphones I run into issues.

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #31,092 of 42,765
  I have had plenty of times I wanted to run my mojo into my cayin c5 or other amps to add bass impact and energy to the whole sound. But, I've had times using 16 ohm headphones when i couldn't get satisfying bass slam from the mojo, even with heavy EQ tricks (i know you know the kind of EQ i do, lol) so i ran it into an amp.

What I will not disagree with is that it's coloring the sound and not driving them "better", because there is no objective better in this circumstance, since my "better" might be maximum bass impact at the expense of overshadowing other freqs with bass (doesn't bother me one bit) whereas "better" to you or another might be a flatter more unaffected FR.

Where I do disagree is that an external amp can't help things like bass impact or presence. I don't think anyone prioritizing uncolored sound over total SPL is adding an external amp anyway, unless it's direct from mojo to power amp to speakers (i did this and it was great).

You at least seem to understand that this is exactly how I said it: the Mojo drives them just fine, and external amps can color the sound. I never said that an external amp can't change the bass. My only point is that this has absolutely nothing to do with driving headphones. Driving headphones is not about opinion; it is about objective facts and science. Check the link in my prior post.

Read this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/1830#post_10459450

Here's an excerpt:

So how do we reconcile reports that desktop headphone amps sound better? I don't believe they do, its a case of altering the sound to suit somebody's taste. Now as I said at the beginning of this post, that is not what I want to do - I want things to sound transparent, so that we can get closer to the sound of live acoustic music. Adding an extra headphone amp will only make things worse as extra components degrades transparency. Another possibility is that people are responding against Hugo's unusually (for a headphone amp) low output impedance of 0.075 ohms. Now, compared to headphone amps of 2 to 33 ohms impedance, this will make the sound much leaner with less bass. Additionally, the improvements in damping can be heard as a much tighter bass with a faster tempo. So if you find your headphone too lean, the problem is not Hugo's drive - your headphone is just been driven correctly.                 

Could it be that some people miss the traditional purpose built OP amps and buffers that are incorporated into the vast majority of Amps and DAPs?  
I know that Relic is a wiz on such things but he may wisely wish not to get involved in such a discussion. 
wink.gif

There is also the impedance matching issue - so nothing ever seems straight forward as much as we would wish! 

Yes, it may be possible that it's just a preference for sound signature.

The Mojo's output impedance is 0.075 ohms, so this is not even a factor. It becomes a factor when you use amps with higher output impedance, which can change the sound.

Like this

When outdoors just a dap with a good amp can do what I need. Outdoors with the Mojo with iems its all good but with headphones I run into issues.

And what I am saying is that those issues are not due to a lack of power. It's probably just due to the Mojo's sound signature that does not add extra pounding bass and so on.

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #31,093 of 42,765
@Music Alchemist

Some users who live in regions of the world where the local ambient temperature is very high, have experienced problems with the Mojo getting warm.
The advice from chord is that the Mojo will always run hottest if you try and listen to music whilst charging the Mojo from a virtually flat battery - but if you fully charge the Mojo first, and then listen to music (even with the charger still connected), the Mojo will run much cooler.
Secondly standing your Mojo on its side, allows more heat to escape (compared to the normal lying flat on the desk), and consequently the Mojo will also run cooler.

If you try one or both of the above, you should experience no more problems. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back