Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 13, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #31,066 of 42,765
Some will live by numbers written on paper or posted on the web and others will go by their ears. My Mojo did drive my P7 indoors but fails when I take it outdoors. My other devices drove my heaphones much better outdoors.

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #31,068 of 42,765
What does this even mean? How would it be any different when you're outside?
Ill help you realise that outdoors there are multiple noises around you. Imagine you outside walking with 50, 80 or 90 other people all around you. Imagine a bus and another bus going by you. Now all these noises will enter your ears no matter if its a iem ciem or headphone. Indoors the Mojo and Hugo sounds much better. The main issue outdoors is bass punch. Outdoors with the Mojo or Hugo they lose the bass punch. Even when I eq they loose it. With a portable amp the bass punch is there when I am outside.

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #31,069 of 42,765
Guys, I wasn't making any comment or statement about the pairing with the Mojo. I was only pointing out the K712 aren't really a difficult headphones to drive by the specs. Synergy and user preference is a completely different conversation.

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #31,070 of 42,765
Ill help you realise that outdoors there are multiple noises around you. Imagine you outside walking with 50, 80 or 90 other people all around you. Imagine a bus and another bus going by you. Now all these noises will enter your ears no matter if its a iem ciem or headphone. Indoors the Mojo and Hugo sounds much better. The main issue outdoors is bass punch. Outdoors with the Mojo or Hugo they lose the bass punch. Even when I eq they loose it. With a portable amp the bass punch is there when I am outside.

That has nothing to do with driving headphones. The Mojo has far more than enough power for nearly any headphone. What you are describing is how the amp is coloring the sound.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #31,071 of 42,765

Being outdoors with headphones of any type alters many things yes. What I do is enjoy the different sound signature, not increase the volume in an attempt to make them sound the same as when indoors.

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #31,072 of 42,765
  Damn you @KookaBurrra! I love the look of your setup and now I'm quite curious of using Toslink on the Mojo. So, started looking at a DAP (as sometimes I don't like my phone tossing in notifications while I'm trying to listen to music). Now I'm looking at the Fiio X5 3rd Gen and AK70 as possible candidates. Though, doing so makes me wonder why I would keep the Mojo around then.

I use the combo Plenue1/Mojo at home (bed, garden, ...) when I do not want to use my computer for the Mojo. I use Mojo for my sedentary headphone.
Outside, I use only the Plenue 1 with my portable headphone !

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #31,073 of 42,765
That has nothing to do with driving headphones. The Mojo has far more than enough power for nearly any headphone. What you are describing is how the amp is coloring the sound.
so at hone bass take out side with same track, ar same volune then no bass coming out due to noises coming in. Also I have recorded music and what I engineered is not being duplicated with this set up.

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #31,074 of 42,765
Does this improve the sound or just change it? I'm strongly considering the Plenue 1 as a dap

It's not change the sound of the Mojo, the Plenue 1 in Toslink just work as transport... But you can use Eq and BBE Effects in the Plenue 1, so this is a really good solution to modify the sound of your headphone with the Mojo !! 
dt880smile.png

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #31,075 of 42,765
It's not change the sound of the Mojo, the Plenue 1 in Toslink just work as transport... But you can use Eq and BBE Effects in the Plenue 1, so this is a really good solution to modify the sound of your headphone with the Mojo !! 
dt880smile.png

Thanks - I meant the sound of the Plenue 1 on it's own versus the sound with Mojo - it's good to know that the EQ still works though, thanks!

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #31,076 of 42,765
Thanks - I meant the sound of the Plenue 1 on it's own versus the sound with Mojo

Hum... Sorry but I can't really compare the two, because I don't use it with the same headphones, like I said...
(Shure SRH1540 & AKG K7xx ==> Mojo  //  Sennheiser Momentum 2.0  & KEF M500 ==> Cowon Plenue 1)

But I can say that both are in a very high level !

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #31,077 of 42,765
  Agreed, but they offered it as a "use case" scenario. I utilized my Oppo HA-2 in this fashion for a week or so... no whine from that. Like I said, it is sad that this is the case, and we all just "accept" it. Then again, I've decided to "accept" it as well, since I do like the sound from the Mojo. O'well.

Glad to hear your replacement unit is a bit better. I definitely agree, claiming this is acceptable because there are other more appropriate use cases doesn't excuse the fact that playback during charging is not only a supported use case but an extremely common use case for just about every electronic device out there.

Anyway, like you said it's sad the Mojo can't handle this operation mode properly.

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #31,078 of 42,765

Glad to hear your replacement unit is a bit better. I definitely agree, claiming this is acceptable because there are other more appropriate use cases doesn't excuse the fact that playback during charging is not only a supported use case but an extremely common use case for just about every electronic device out there.

Anyway, like you said it's sad the Mojo can't handle this operation mode properly.

Yeah it's total nonsense. In fact, many many people have asked about using Mojo in this way (i.e. using as a DAC in a hi-fi) and the ONLY issue that gets mentioned (by John, Rob or anyone else) is Mojo's lack of galvanic isolation over USB.
If this particular use case is problematic, why doesn't anyone from Chord say so? Why are we wasting time trying different chargers and cables etc?

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #31,079 of 42,765

The fact that I couldn't play and charge at the same time on a warm day (without Mojo overheating and switching off) is what lead me to buying a "proper" desktop DAC in the end. This was after the irritation of it being a pain to use on the move due to lack of galvanic isolation and RF rejection. Usability niggles like that detract from your enjoyment.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #31,080 of 42,765

The fact that I couldn't play and charge at the same time on a warm day (without Mojo overheating and switching off) is what lead me to buying a "proper" desktop DAC in the end. This was after the irritation of it being a pain to use on the move due to lack of galvanic isolation and RF rejection. Usability niggles like that detract from your enjoyment.

This quirks is exactly the reason why i sold my mojo.

But i just bought another one today haha. I think if you treat the Mojo as a desktop DAC/AMP and keep it connected to the power supply all day/all night, then you won't be in the position to worry about the charging and overheating issues. The sound quality is so good on the Mojo that i can deal with it's quirks. Seriously think about it, how much do you have to spend to get a noticeable upgrade. After multiple trips to my local headphone store, i think you have to spend at least 2x more to get a true upgrade. I also paired the mojo with some mid-range desktop amps and i was shocked to hear that the desktop amp downgrades the final output severely!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back