Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 11, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #31,036 of 42,765
Since I'm so in love with the Koss KTXPRO1, I'm playing with the idea of selling off just about everything else (even the Mojo) to more easily get the Hugo 2. (I've spent so much lately I don't want to spend much more right now than I already have.)

Is this a little too crazy, even for me?

I added up the original MSRPs of everything, and it's well over $4,000. (And a lot more if you count non-audio equipment.) Obviously the current used value would be lower, but should be able to cover it.

If someone told me years ago that a headphone that only costs ten or twenty bucks could be just as or more enjoyable for me than ones a hundred times more expensive, I would have thought they were crazy...but here I am, having lived with a handful of four-figure headphones, among many others, on top of auditioning even more exotic ones on systems approaching five figures...and there's just something special about the KTX that often makes me reach for it over them. I'll be the first to admit that the high-end headphones are more technically impressive...and yet, a significant percentage of the time, the KTX is more consistently enjoyable for me. On occasion it sounds straight-up more accurate too. (Though I should note that an exception to some of my previous comments is STAX, which is the most realistic sound I've heard in headphones.) I'd probably have to write hundreds of pages to try to convey why I adore it so much.

My first pair (purchased in late 2015) is starting to get old and has lost its clamping force. I have to push the pads against my ears to get the best sound. @vapman sent me a modified pair with Blu-tack and a nice cable, but unfortunately it apparently snapped in half during shipping, and it didn't include pads either, so I haven't gotten around to listening to it. I bought a third pair just yesterday, mainly because I want to get back the clamping force and be hands-free, but also because I'm curious whether it would sound any different than the first pair.

Hearing how much it scaled going from entry-level DACs and amps to the Mojo really excited me and made me even more eager to know how high it could scale from Chord's better DACs.

I'm not worried about the whole "using cheapo headphones with high-end electronics" thing, since headphone upgrades are a given for me. I just feel like this is one of the next steps in my journey, ya know?

Any thoughts?

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #31,037 of 42,765
  thanks mike,

i think ill try 1.5m. from what i understand anything less than 1.5m for spdif does not allow the reflections that occur to be corrected adequately. thats what the general consensus seems to be. i never knew ordering a cable could be so intense lol. or wait till im 100% sure.....

Don't worry with too much overthinking.

The 1m cable is £6.03 and the 1.5m cable is £6.76. At those prices you can get one of each, and discover if there is any difference, without throwing away vast sums of money.

It is not as if you are risking £45 on a cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006XC55ZY?psc=1

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #31,038 of 42,765
do you think the 1.5m as minimum rule regarding reflections has any truth in it?

It depends on the cable manufacturer. As mentioned before, Sysconcept can make a variety of optical cables at a variety of lengths with no data loss transmition, but you pay for it. If you want to stay within a lower budget range then expect some limitations. That said not all expensive cables can perform well which is why I recommend Sysconcept for a robust solution that delivers.

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #31,039 of 42,765
so with 1.5m or 1m sysconcept both guarantee zero loss in data transmission? so with sysconcept length no longer becomes an issue at all?

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #31,040 of 42,765
  Since I'm so in love with the Koss KTXPRO1, I'm playing with the idea of selling off just about everything else (even the Mojo) to more easily get the Hugo 2. (I've spent so much lately I don't want to spend much more right now than I already have.)

I added up the original MSRPs of everything, and it's well over $4,000. (And a lot more if you count non-audio equipment.) Obviously the current used value would be lower, but should be able to cover it.

If someone told me years ago that a headphone that only costs ten or twenty bucks could be just as or more enjoyable for me than ones a hundred times more expensive, I would have thought they were crazy...but here I am, having lived with a handful of four-figure headphones, among many others, on top of auditioning even more exotic ones on systems approaching five figures...and there's just something special about the KTX that often makes me reach for it over them. I'll be the first to admit that the high-end headphones are more technically impressive...and yet, a significant percentage of the time, the KTX is more consistently enjoyable for me. On occasion it sounds straight-up more accurate too. (Though I should note that an exception to some of my previous comments is STAX, which is the most realistic sound I've heard in headphones.) I'd probably have to write hundreds of pages to try to convey why I adore it so much.

My first pair (purchased in late 2015) is starting to get old and has lost its clamping force. I have to push the pads against my ears to get the best sound. @vapman sent me a modified pair with Blu-tack and a nice cable, but unfortunately it apparently snapped in half during shipping, and it didn't include pads either, so I haven't gotten around to listening to it. I bought a third pair just yesterday, mainly because I want to get back the clamping force and be hands-free, but also because I'm curious whether it would sound any different than the first pair.

Hearing how much it scaled going from entry-level DACs and amps to the Mojo really excited me and made me even more eager to know how high it could scale from Chord's better DACs.

I'm not worried about the whole "using cheapo headphones with high-end electronics" thing, since headphone upgrades are a given for me. I just feel like this is one of the next steps in my journey, ya know?

Any thoughts?

Amazon has one for $20, you are making me pull the trigger to just to hear what you hear! 
L3000.gif

Tell me, what about the KTXPRO1 pulls you in? What makes you want to listen to it versus say the LCD-X or HD 800S? What's its sound signature like?

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #31,041 of 42,765
  Amazon has one for $20, you are making me pull the trigger to just to hear what you hear! 
L3000.gif

Tell me, what about the KTXPRO1 pulls you in? What makes you want to listen to it versus say the LCD-X or HD 800S? What's its sound signature like?

It's a semi-open on-ear that combines qualities of open and closed headphones. Really strong impact and dynamics, especially with energetic music. (I can give you a list of tracks to test via PM later.) Although expensive headphones are generally better in technical terms, it's not too far behind. (There are plenty of tracks where it can go either way in terms of one sounding clearly better than the other, though this is my own subjective perspective, and others may differ.) Has a nice tonality. Not very far from neutral, but it does have boosted bass, some roll-off up top, etc. (Play that frequency sweep I shared to hear where the peaks and dips are.) The mids are some of the best I've heard; pretty up-front, but not offensive either. It's kind of like a more obnoxious version of the HD 650, so it has a good balance between laid-back musicality and thrilling aggression. Like I mentioned, it would be incredibly difficult for me to express why it's become a part of me. Sometimes words don't suffice, and you just have to get lost in the experience.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #31,042 of 42,765
  so with 1.5m or 1m sysconcept both guarantee zero loss in data transmission? so with sysconcept length no longer becomes an issue at all?

I have a very short optical cable from Sysconcept with 2 90 degree bends in it from the AK240 to the Mojo. There is no loss of data transmission. It works otherwise I wouldn't recommend them.

I have this type:

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=349&osCsid=2qs2lqienvpamlg4d6beshr3l2

You can also get one without a 90 degree bend in it at the length you desire:

http://www.sys-concept.com/U-toslink_miniplug.html

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #31,045 of 42,765

My first pair (purchased in late 2015) is starting to get old and has lost its clamping force. I have to push the pads against my ears to get the best sound. @vapman
sent me a modified pair with Blu-tack and a nice cable, but unfortunately it apparently snapped in half during shipping, and it didn't include pads either, so I haven't gotten around to listening to it. I bought a third pair just yesterday, mainly because I want to get back the clamping force and be hands-free, but also because I'm curious whether it would sound any different than the first pair.

Any thoughts?
Pkus life time warrenty.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #31,046 of 42,765
ill try two kabeldirekt to start with 1m and 1.5m and see if there is really any difference due to these reflections.
confused.gif
. both cost £12 in total and have been recommended by at least two members here as good solid quality up to 24/192. then maybe ill try a sys later. its a headache shipping from Canada to UK.

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #31,048 of 42,765
with amazon UK i have it after 2/3 days. with Sys i have to pay extra intl. shipping cost plus potential customs/VAT in UK to release the package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back