Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 30, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #28,036 of 42,765
I did not touch the volume on the Mojo, nor any levels on any of the equipment. I'm sorry you believe it to be flawed because there is a difference in the volume. I stand by the test. There! The only changes were the cables and the connection to the Mojo. Listening tests are what Chord believe in too
Anyway I'm gonna show off some Christmas Presents

One of them was from Christmas 1994 tho.....

No worries. Spending more time looking at your video, I noticed that you cut 'unwanted' silent areas in Audacity.
It is most probable that you didn't remove exactly the same samples for both .wav files; that could explain the level differences.
Thanks.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #28,037 of 42,765
I'm not a fan of downloading files distributed through forums this way. No offense, but you never know who you can trust.

Can you please import them into matlab or octave and plot the spectrum? Then share the images here.

Hey grumpy, didn't you post an excel spreadsheet a while back to calculate power requirements for headphones? Just saying...

BTW, I really appreciate that spreadsheet and your posts...very helpful. Happy New Year to all!

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #28,038 of 42,765
Hey grumpy, didn't you post an excel spreadsheet a while back to calculate power requirements for headphones? Just saying...

BTW, I really appreciate that spreadsheet and your posts...very helpful. Happy New Year to all!

Sure did. Someone requested it and I didn't want to reveal my personal email address.

But if I were the prospective downloader, I wouldn't do it.

Glad I could be of help, despite my cynicism and generally grumpy demeanor :)

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #28,039 of 42,765

No worries. Spending more time looking at your video, I noticed that you cut 'unwanted' silent areas in Audacity.
It is most probable that you didn't remove exactly the same samples for both .wav files; that could explain the level differences.
Thanks.

I have a trial version of the software player I used- it cuts out at 30 mins. Because of the time it took to put these files together the demo cut out whilst I was recording videoing etc. You'll notice the USB is almost a minute less than the Optical. Not deliberate I assure you. But very well spotted!

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #28,040 of 42,765
I'm not a fan of downloading files distributed through forums this way. No offense, but you never know who you can trust.

Can you please import them into matlab or octave and plot the spectrum? Then share the images here.

Hi old guy - I would rather people listen with their ears than with machines. That's exactly why I've done the recordings. I'm afraid I don't give a hoot about the measurements or the pictures, I have precious enough time for listening. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #28,042 of 42,765
How much mw@300ohm does the Mojo have? Can't find this spec.

If only there was an FAQ somewhere...
rolleyes.gif

From post #3, "About Mojos Output Stage":

Hi Rob,

Could you do a similar test on a 300 ohm load?

I'm guessing a power output of somewhere in the 70-80mW range, which should be on par with some single-ended output from other respected portable amps.

Into 300 ohms, fully charged battery, its 94 mW or 5.3v RMS at the 1% THD point.

Rob

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #28,043 of 42,765

Crikey! I stand corrected. Fair play to you! Love that someone is putting their LCD4 through the Mojo 
beerchug.gif
 When I went to highend headphones I put the LCD4s through the Mojo and they just couldn't do it for me. I put the LCD4s through another amp (obv connected from the Mojo) and got the results I was looking for. That doesn't mean to say I'm right he's wrong- uh uh. It means we're both right! Yes, because we have different ears

​FWIW, Chord had its North American introduction of the Mojo at Stereo Exchange in Manhattan, NYC. They shared one of the rooms with Audeze which I think may have also been introducing its LCD-4 at the same time, or perhaps may have introduced it just before that. In any event Audeze flew out from California for the show. The two -- Mojo and LCD-4 -were shown together by Chord and Audeze -- and the sound was terrific. If both manufacturers felt comfortable using the Mojo and LCD-4, that's a big indication that they work well together. Having heard them,I thought there was no problem at all in the Chord driving the LCD-4. John Atkinson, editor of Stereophile, was also there and also heard them together, and my impression was he thought the same. But to each his own.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #28,044 of 42,765

Crikey! I stand corrected. Fair play to you! Love that someone is putting their LCD4 through the Mojo 
beerchug.gif
 When I went to highend headphones I put the LCD4s through the Mojo and they just couldn't do it for me. I put the LCD4s through another amp (obv connected from the Mojo) and got the results I was looking for. That doesn't mean to say I'm right he's wrong- uh uh. It means we're both right! Yes, because we have different ears

​FWIW, Chord had its North American introduction of the Mojo at Stereo Exchange in Manhattan, NYC. They shared one of the rooms with Audeze which I think may have also been introducing its LCD-4 at the same time, or perhaps may have introduced it just before that. In any event Audeze flew out from California for the show. The two -- Mojo and LCD-4 -were shown together by Chord and Audeze -- and the sound was terrific. If both manufacturers felt comfortable using the Mojo and LCD-4, that's a big indication that they work well together. Having heard them,I thought there was no problem at all in the Chord driving the LCD-4. John Atkinson, editor of Stereophile, was also there and also heard them together, and my impression was he thought the same. But to each his own.

www.head-fi.org/t/793518/audeze-sine-series/1335#post_12629669

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #28,045 of 42,765
Hi old guy - I would rather people listen with their ears than with machines. That's exactly why I've done the recordings. I'm afraid I don't give a hoot about the measurements or the pictures, I have precious enough time for listening. 

Right. Why do the job correctly, when you can have a gaggle of people guess the answer?

Your test, your choice. Just don't be surprised when the results are inconclusive.

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #28,046 of 42,765

Why go through the effort if you are not going to do it right. It only helps nobody. The idea of listening test is to eliminate variables other than the two things you are comparing so your ears can be trusted. Ironically, by doing so you only made people listen to the difference you made on your machine. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #28,048 of 42,765
Right. Why do the job correctly, when you can have a gaggle of people guess the answer?

Your test, your choice. Just don't be surprised when the results are inconclusive.

The job was done correctly. It was my work that went into it but if you guys want to look at any readings pertaining to it, you are free to do so. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #28,049 of 42,765
I don't understand this obsession with huge fat bass. it's like this, find heaviest bass hifi headphone possible + amp with hardware bass boost + eq in even more bass. I just don't get it, why not just buy beats by dre and stream low quality files and play from a phone and be done with it because by adding that much bass it's not really hifi anymore is it.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #28,050 of 42,765
I don't understand this obsession with huge fat bass. it's like this, find heaviest bass hifi headphone possible + amp with hardware bass boost + eq in even more bass. I just don't get it, why not just buy beats by dre and stream low quality files and play from a phone and be done with it because by adding that much bass it's not really hifi anymore is it.
There are all kinds of bass. Bass drum is fat but snare drum isnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back