Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 30, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #28,051 of 42,765
I got to try out the Chord Mojo for the very first time today at my local Hi-Fi store. WOW!!! I specifically wanted to A/B test the Chord Mojo vs. the Oppo HA-2 and Oppo HA-2SE. I think it went in the Mojo's favor rather quickly, as the two Oppo units kept producing errors with my iPhone 7 and losing connection via lightning cable. Not the Mojo. Through several cans (it sounded really good with the Senn HD800 and Audeze EL8) it really shined nicely. Then, I tried the Mojo through a MicroZotl2 tube amp and it also performed well there too. I'm really considering getting one at this juncture. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #28,054 of 42,765
Hi Mojo owners, I have some newbie questions that i'm sure have been answered in this massive 1871 page thread. The mojo is primarily a DAC, right? Does it have any amplification qualities? Would the audio fidelity benefit from other amplification sources? If so, what are some recommendations all you folks have experience with? A few posts back I asked about eliminating interference from my phone and was suggested to use a sheet of soft iron and ferrite clamps. Can somebody possibly point me in the direction as to how i would find such material? How the heck do I add ferrite to my connectors?Thanks guys.

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #28,055 of 42,765
Hi Mojo owners, I have some newbie questions that i'm sure have been answered in this massive 1871 page thread. The mojo is primarily a DAC, right? Does it have any amplification qualities? Would the audio fidelity benefit from other amplification sources? If so, what are some recommendations all you folks have experience with? A few posts back I asked about eliminating interference from my phone and was suggested to use a sheet of soft iron and ferrite clamps. Can somebody possibly point me in the direction as to how i would find such material? How the heck do I add ferrite to my connectors?Thanks guys.

Mojo doesn't have a traditional amp, but it does have a variable line out, which is capable to drive most headphones out there. A separate amp is recommended with difficult-to-drive headphones. The amp would alter the signal, but it is up to your ears if you like it.

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #28,056 of 42,765
I have a trial version of the software player I used- it cuts out at 30 mins. Because of the time it took to put these files together the demo cut out whilst I was recording videoing etc. You'll notice the USB is almost a minute less than the Optical. Not deliberate I assure you. But very well spotted!

My ears didn't perceive any differences when listening with Mojo @ Ether C1.1 at normal listening levels (~70-90dBSpl).

May I ask you the reference of the track you used? I am curious, since I compared your files with a version I owned ( CD 16/44.1 Ultimate Collection). I would like to listen to your source since I am finding I am losing musicality. For sure it was not the initial purpose of your test but I am taking advantage of it...:wink:

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #28,057 of 42,765
I see. Would there be any justifiable benefits apart from how the amp might change the signature more to my liking if I am using IEMs? 
Mojo doesn't have a traditional amp, but it does have a variable line out, which is capable to drive most headphones out there. A separate amp is recommended with difficult-to-drive headphones. The amp would alter the signal, but it is up to your ears if you like it.

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #28,058 of 42,765

Fidelity definition: The degree of exactness with which something is copied or reproduced.

When speaking of fidelity, no, extra amplification would technically not have more fidelity because extra amplification would add it's own distortions and flavour to the signal path. The same is true for all gear..... the less in the audio path the more fidelity you maintain. Of course the ability for the DAC itself to convert the incoming bitstream to an analogue signal must be able to do so cleanly as well, and here I find the Mojo to be very good. There is a lot of information in the third post of this thread that will explain to you why the Mojo is different from all other non-Chord DACs. You are correct in perceiving the Mojo as more of a discrete DAC with enough current and voltage to drive headphones cleanly from its very simple analogue stage without an extra conventional amplification stage.

For the harder to drive headphones there is a lot of options for amplification, and the same can be said for personal tastes. I find that I really like the Cavalli Audio gear and purchased the last run of their Liquid Gold amplifier because I like what it brings to the mix sometimes. Others will say that a comparatively brighter amp like the Schiit Jotunheim is where their preferences lie. Recommendations for amplification would be useless without more information about what you are looking for in a sound signature, or what headphones you plan to use. Personally, I prefer the Chord gear on its own without extra amplification except on the rare occasion.

As for adding iron I don't have the need for streaming or wireless audio so I can't help you there.

Ferrite chokes just clamp around your wire to help choke EMI/RFI, but I wouldn't expect them to eliminate incoming signal noise from a cell phone. Usually users report that the ferrite choke smooths the sound as it eliminates subtle noise from the source electronics itself.

Example of a ferrite choke for purchase:
https://www.amazon.com/Ferrite-Core-Cord-Noise-Suppressor/dp/B0002MQGEK

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #28,059 of 42,765
Fidelity definition: The degree of exactness with which something is copied or reproduced.

When speaking of fidelity, no, extra amplification would technically not have more fidelity because extra amplification would add it's own distortions and flavour to the signal path. The same is true for all gear..... the less in the audio path the more fidelity you maintain. Of course the ability for the DAC itself to convert the incoming bitstream to an analogue signal must be able to do so cleanly as well, and here I find the Mojo to be very good. There is a lot of information in the third post of this thread that will explain to you why the Mojo is different from all other non-Chord DACs. You are correct in perceiving the Mojo as more of a discrete DAC with enough current and voltage to drive headphones cleanly from its very simple analogue stage without an extra conventional amplification stage.

For the harder to drive headphones there is a lot of options for amplification, and the same can be said for personal tastes. I find that I really like the Cavalli Audio gear and purchased the last run of their Liquid Gold amplifier because I like what it brings to the mix sometimes. Others will say that a comparatively brighter amp like the Schiit Jotenheim is where their preferences lie. Recommendations for amplification would be useless without more information about what you are looking for in a sound signature, or what headphones you plan to use. Personally, I prefer the Chord gear on its own without extra amplification except on the rare occasion.

As for adding iron I don't have the need for streaming or wireless audio so I can't help you there.

Ferrite chokes just clamp around your wire to help choke EMI/RFI, but I wouldn't expect them to eliminate incoming signal noise from a cell phone. Usually users report that the ferrite choke smooths the sound as it eliminates subtle noise from the source electronics itself.

Example of a ferrite choke for purchase:
https://www.amazon.com/Ferrite-Core-Cord-Noise-Suppressor/dp/B0002MQGEK

Thank you for the in depth explanation. I have not really heard enough higher end equipment to have developed a strong preference yet, so I really am open to suggestions of all kinds. Cavalli and Schiit are two very well known brands that I have been following, but if I am not using high power headphones that requires and amp to drive properly, would I simply be adding extra distortion into my set? I only own and plan on owning IEMs, so perhaps in my case an amp would be solely for the purpose of altering the sound signature? I found those ferrite chokes on amazon and have already ordered them! Pardon me for not looking first. I also found some lead sheets in replacement of iron, a quick google search seemed to tell me that lead has better signal isolating properties than iron, but i'm not science guy so I am not sure on this. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #28,060 of 42,765
  I see. Would there be any justifiable benefits apart from how the amp might change the signature more to my liking if I am using IEMs? 

In my opinion, no. Some people like to use portable amps with bass boost etc, but I think Mojo is just fine as is.

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #28,061 of 42,765

In my opinion, no. Some people like to use portable amps with bass boost etc, but I think Mojo is just fine as is.

I see. I own a crappy little Fiio E12, and even with the gain switch the passive distortion noise was just unbearable. The bass boost was a good feature, but I think I am inclined to agree with you. Stacking the Mojo with my phone already makes it a decent sized chunk, so I don't think adding an extra amp would be desirable for portability. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #28,062 of 42,765
Thank you for the in depth explanation. I have not really heard enough higher end equipment to have developed a strong preference yet, so I really am open to suggestions of all kinds. Cavalli and Schiit are two very well known brands that I have been following, but if I am not using high power headphones that requires and amp to drive properly, would I simply be adding extra distortion into my set? I only own and plan on owning IEMs, so perhaps in my case an amp would be solely for the purpose of altering the sound signature? I found those ferrite chokes on amazon and have already ordered them! Pardon me for not looking first. I also found some lead sheets in replacement of iron, a quick google search seemed to tell me that lead has better signal isolating properties than iron, but i'm not science guy so I am not sure on this. 

If you are just using IEMs then the amp will only add its own flavour to the sound and not be required at all for drive ability. Please read the detailed and informative posts by Rob Watts in the third post of this thread. You'll see what his lengthy listening tests have revealed as far as how noise and distortion can alter the perception of sound.

My suggestion is to start with a Mojo and then try different gear if you really want to experiment. Sorry about your wallet. I did the opposite by trying/buying a lot of gear and settled on the Mojo and the DAVE and one TOTL amp. Just know that there is a lot of technical prowess under the hood of the Mojo that measurably surpasses many other DACs and DAC/amps (detailed in the third post of this thread). To me Mojo is a huge bargain.

I see. I own a crappy little Fiio E12, and even with the gain switch the passive distortion noise was just unbearable. The bass boost was a good feature, but I think I am inclined to agree with you. Stacking the Mojo with my phone already makes it a decent sized chunk, so I don't think adding an extra amp would be desirable for portability. 

I also own the e12. The Mojo is far superior!

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #28,063 of 42,765

If you will be using IEMs, then there is no need for a separate headphone amp.
You already have some IEMs, but once you have the Mojo, you may find that your existing pair leave something to be desired soundwise. But that is another story, which will be influenced by your musical tastes, ears, budget, etc.

The members here can always suggest headphones or IEMs that have good synergy with the Mojo, for you to demo, and then make a personal choice. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #28,064 of 42,765
A Happy New Years Eve to all the Chord enthusiasts.
Thanks to @Mojo ideas and @Rob Watts for their replies and discussions on the Chord threads.
A special thanks to @Mython for his efforts to keep us all under a good natured control on the Mojo thread, during 2016.

These threads are far more enjoyable to frequent, that another forum that I used to visit - so let's all continue in the same vein during 2017.

atsmile.gif

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #28,065 of 42,765
My ears didn't perceive any differences when listening with Mojo @ Ether C1.1 at normal listening levels (~70-90dBSpl).

May I ask you the reference of the track you used? I am curious, since I compared your files with a version I owned ( CD 16/44.1 Ultimate Collection). I would like to listen to your source since I am finding I am losing musicality. For sure it was not the initial purpose of your test but I am taking advantage of it...:wink:

It is a Vinyl Rip done in DSD format

Users who are viewing this thread

Back