Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 31, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #28,066 of 42,765
I don't understand this obsession with huge fat bass. it's like this, find heaviest bass hifi headphone possible + amp with hardware bass boost + eq in even more bass. I just don't get it, why not just buy beats by dre and stream low quality files and play from a phone and be done with it because by adding that much bass it's not really hifi anymore is it.

I wonder whether it's because it's one of the easier things to describe when you are listening to stuff? And then it seems to become the prime factor in assigning quality to something. Do you know what? I put something in my ears and I either like it , it's so so  or I don't like it. It's pretty much an instant thing. Then I take 3000 words and 25 pictures, 3 sound files and 5 hours of video editing to try and describe it to everyone. It's a strange world we live in......

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #28,067 of 42,765
A Happy New Years Eve to all the Chord enthusiasts.
Thanks to @Mojo ideas
 and @Rob Watts for their replies and discussions on the Chord threads.
A special thanks to @Mython
 for his efforts to keep us all under a good natured control on the Mojo thread, during 2016.

These threads are far more enjoyable to frequent, that another forum that I used to visit - so let's all continue in the same vein during 2017.

:atsmile:

Seconded. Happy New Year to all who make HeadFi the great, tolerant place it is. :)

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #28,068 of 42,765
Yes, Happy New Year, all!
beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #28,070 of 42,765
  I see. Would there be any justifiable benefits apart from how the amp might change the signature more to my liking if I am using IEMs? 

Not really, beyond an overkill way to alter output impedance. Most IEMs are easy enough for the Mojo to drive- though some, like the Andromedas, might not sound their absolute best out of it.. but Andros are as picky as hell about OI. If your IEMs already sound good out of it, you're good to go. Driving IEMs is something your Mojo is already pretty good at, in fact.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #28,071 of 42,765
Not really, beyond an overkill way to alter output impedance. Most IEMs are easy enough for the Mojo to drive- though some, like the Andromedas, might not sound their absolute best out of it.. but Andros are as picky as hell about OI. If your IEMs already sound good out of it, you're good to go. Driving IEMs is something your Mojo is already pretty good at, in fact.

The Mojo's output impedance is 0.075 Ohm. The Andromeda impedance is 12.8 Ohm with a sensitivity of 115 dB SPL/mW. Why on Earth do you think the Mojo would struggle with it?

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #28,073 of 42,765
No-one claimed anything would struggle. The Andros change their tonal balance dramatically according to OI, and tend to be dark around Z.

Right, so with the 0.075 Ohm from the Mojo's OI I'm curious how much lower you feel one would need. I'm aware that there is a slight roll of of high frequencies with very low impedance headphones from the Mojo, but it's been clarified to be quite minor.

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #28,074 of 42,765
I found that at low volumes ( light pale green ) mojo generate more heat than at higher volumes ( light to dark blue ) with my beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm. I may be wrong . is it due to sample rate also ? for 44.1khz mojo needs more processing so it is hotter ? anybody experienced that ?

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #28,075 of 42,765
Mojo to Mac for 16bit / 44.1kHz audio via iTunes.

I know there is better AUDIO software on the Mac Computers than iTUNES, but currently with iTUNES when playing (16bit / 44.1kHz) I use the Optical Connection instead of USB into Mojo. The reason is with Optical connection you can change the bit rate to 16bit in Audio Midi setting to match the source audio files, where as with USB it seems to be fixed at a higher bit rate and not changeable.

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #28,076 of 42,765
Mojo to Mac for 16bit / 44.1kHz audio via iTunes.

I know there is better AUDIO software on the Mac Computers than iTUNES, but currently with iTUNES when playing (16bit / 44.1kHz) I use the Optical Connection instead of USB into Mojo. The reason is with Optical connection you can change the bit rate to 16bit in Audio Midi setting to match the source audio files, where as with USB it seems to be fixed at a higher bit rate and not changeable.

I use the Mojo on my iMac via USB and have set the Mojo's Output Format to 44,100 Hz 32-bit integer using the Audio MIDI Setup application. Once set, it remembers it every time I connect the Mojo via USB.

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #28,077 of 42,765
I found that at low volumes ( light pale green ) mojo generate more heat than at higher volumes ( light to dark blue ) with my beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm. I may be wrong . is it due to sample rate also ? for 44.1khz mojo needs more processing so it is hotter ? anybody experienced that ?

Because lower impedance headphones draw more current than higher impedance headphones which use more voltage. Do you mean the same headphone with different volume settings?

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #28,078 of 42,765
Hello rbalcom,

I really appreciate it if you can let me know how you change the bit rate, as I have been unable to.

see screen shot below, as you can see 32bit integer is greyed out and not changeable. I can of course change the kHz via the drop down option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back