Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 22, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #23,011 of 42,765
Is that extender thing actually helps prevent the usb from getting loose? Such as sluding it in my pocket and all the weight will be on the end where the usb is.

It ought to be better for the USB as the module contains one end, however you will still have the connector that goes into your phone/iPod or whatever.

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #23,012 of 42,765
nice to see finally after 3 weeks ongoing delay people are finally getting these...are you in the UK?

will be interesting to see how this compares portability wise against my dragonfly red.
would be using a carrying pouch to carry the mojo/ipod/extender...anyone already trying this?

Yes I'm in UK. Audio sanctuary have just started sending them out from yesterday I believe.

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #23,013 of 42,765

nice to see finally after 3 weeks ongoing delay people are finally getting these...are you in the UK?

will be interesting to see how this compares portability wise against my dragonfly red.
would be using a carrying pouch to carry the mojo/ipod/extender...anyone already trying this?

Wouldn't the dragongly red win outright portability-wise? tiny and with negligible weight? 

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #23,014 of 42,765
  1. [attach]1638381[/attach] miketlse
    "does this mean that the resistance of a coated cable, effectively changes with frequency?"

Thanks.I was not arguing about your cable characteristics but more about skin effect term.
Usually skin effect is the term describing the fact that when dealing with Alternative Current,the current flows mainly at the skin of your cable conductor. The higher is the frequency, the smaller is the skin depth at the outer surface of your cable.
IMHO, dealing with audio frequencies this is not preponderant.
Taking advantage of those properties, at high frequencies your cable needs care mainly at surface:such as cost efficient silver thin coat (few um).
Cheers :beers:

Just to mention my opinion on Silver coated cables, they maybe technically better for digital cables but for analogue, it is debatable and it depends on the cable manufacturers philosophy and the price range ( and perhaps their justification) but imo, I see the main benefits of silver plated as an aid to tune a speaker based system, eg. to give more top end detail if needed. 

Seemingly, higher frequency HF signals tend to travel close to the cables outer conductor surface and the lower LF signals more in the center of the conductor.

The signals travels faster in Silver than in Copper and that is why some people may find that Silver analogue cables sound initially impressive but maybe fatiquing in the longer term.

I personally stick with Copper speaker cables and analogue interconnects and in my system I use solid core copper speaker cable and I even rewired my speakers internals with solid core (which is a pain to work with) but I beleive I can hear the benefits as I replaced the original Silver plated cable which was making my system too bright for my liking.

I do not want to derail this thread but wanted to give a bit of my experience and research that I did on cables a few years ago. 
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #23,015 of 42,765
I have something to consult my fellow Chord Mojo owners:

Whenever I turn on my fully-charged Chord Mojo unit, the battery indicator turns green; if it does turn blue, it's only for a few minutes (without load).

Is the battery in my Mojo toast? Can it still be warrantied? Or is this par for the course? I've been using my Mojo since late-January 2016.

Hope to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #23,016 of 42,765

Whenever I turn on my fully-charged Chord Mojo unit, the battery indicator turns green; if it does turn blue, it's only for a few minutes (without load).

Is the battery in my Mojo toast? Can it still be warrantied? Or is this par for the course? I've been using my Mojo since late-January 2016.

It wasnt fully charged.

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #23,017 of 42,765

To have the led to stay blue for a long time, you need to charge the unit to 100%, which is until the white charging light goes off, which in my experience can take anywhere between 5-8hrs, depending on the level of charge Mojo had when you started your charge cycle. Four hours of charge will give you blue light, but for a very short time. Rob explained in one of his posts that, once the Mojo reaches a certain level of charge, it goes into a kind of trickle charge mode, which is why it takes more than 4 hrs of charge to reach 100%.

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #23,018 of 42,765
  1. [attach]1638381[/attach]

miketlse

"does this mean that the resistance of a coated cable, effectively changes with frequency?"

Just to mention my opinion on Silver coated cables, they maybe technically better for digital cables but for analogue, it is debatable and it depends on the cable manufacturers philosophy and the price range ( and perhaps their justification) but imo, I see the main benefits of silver plated as an aid to tune a speaker based system, eg. to give more top end detail if needed. 

Seemingly, higher frequency HF signals tend to travel close to the cables outer conductor surface and the lower LF signals more in the center of the conductor.

The signals travels faster in Silver than in Copper and that is why some people may find that Silver analogue cables sound initially impressive but maybe fatiquing in the longer term.

I personally stick with Copper speaker cables and analogue interconnects and in my system I use solid core copper speaker cable and I even rewired my speakers internals with solid core (which is a pain to work with) but I beleive I can hear the benefits as I replaced the original Silver plated cable which was making my system too bright for my liking.

I do not want to derail this thread but wanted to give a bit of my experience and research that I did on cables a few years ago. :wink:

Thanks for having shared the experience I am missing.
A few hours ago I was writing to another headfier that I was curious to look at velocity vs frequency for such cables in order to understand their success.
Another interesting point when looking at pictures is they don't seem to be shielded....
Well I will not derail more :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #23,019 of 42,765

To have the led to stay blue for a long time, you need to charge the unit to 100%, which is until the white charging light goes off, which in my experience can take anywhere between 5-8hrs, depending on the level of charge Mojo had when you started your charge cycle. Four hours of charge will give you blue light, but for a very short time. Rob explained in one of his posts that, once the Mojo reaches a certain level of charge, it goes into a kind of trickle charge mode, which is why it takes more than 4 hrs of charge to reach 100%.

Thanks for the speedy response!

Well..before I turned on the unit, I made sure that it was fully charged (white LED turned off). I think the longest blue-to-green-LED transition time I've been getting for the past couple of weeks is just 40-45 mins. 

Also some additional info: for the past couple of months, I've been mostly using my Mojo plugged to the mains via a USB hub charger. Do you think having it plugged for most of the time has somewhat 'toasted' the battery? I wasn't expecting its battery to degrade this fast.

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #23,020 of 42,765

Thanks for the speedy response!

Well..before I turned on the unit, I made sure that it was fully charged (white LED turned off). I think the longest blue-to-green-LED transition time I've been getting for the past couple of weeks is just 40-45 mins. 

Also some additional info: for the past couple of months, I've been mostly using my Mojo plugged to the mains via a USB hub charger. Do you think having it plugged for most of the time has somewhat 'toasted' the battery? I wasn't expecting its battery to degrade this fast.

Apparently the battery in Mojo is capable of taking a lot of beating. So the chances of the battery being fried at this point is likely unlikely. Especially when Chord has stated that it should last for 10yrs.

I get around 60mins of blue light, when I take it off charge, soon after the white light goes out. Remember the type of headphones/IEMs and, the file type being played also play a role in determining the rate of battery drain.

Sometimes I leave it for charge when I go to bed at night and I take it off charge in the morning. So it is plugged in for about 8-9hrs. On those days, blue light has managed to stay for close to 100mins. I don't really know why though. 

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #23,021 of 42,765

Apparently the battery in Mojo is capable of taking a lot of beating. So the chances of the battery being fried at this point is likely unlikely. Especially when Chord has stated that it should last for 10yrs.

I get around 60mins of blue light, when I take it off charge, soon after the white light goes out. Remember the type of headphones/IEMs and, the file type being played also play a role in determining the rate of battery drain.

Sometimes I leave it for charge when I go to bed at night and I take it off charge in the morning. So it is plugged in for about 8-9hrs. On those days, blue light has managed to stay for close to 100mins. I don't really know why though. 

That's what I also thought about the near indestructibility (and infallibility) of the Mojo's battery, having read significant portions of this humongous thread. That's why I am surprised that I am not getting a similar experience to what the majority are experiencing, i.e., my experience only after seven months battery-wise is somewhat underwhelming. 

I mostly play FLAC rips from CDs, as well as 320 kbps MP3s. I have a couple of high-res FLAC files (24-96 and 24-192) but they only comprise less than 10% of my files, at least those fed from my DX90. 

During the first few months of use, battery life after full charge is nothing short of remarkable. Before I get the green light, I am able to use my Mojo for about 2 hours, which is more or less in line with Rob's battery design. I just don't know what happened in between that resulted in the rather fast discharge from blue to green light LED. 

Is using the Mojo while plugged in the mains really not that advisable? That's what I'm thinking as the main culprit for my battery problems.

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #23,025 of 42,765
  Wouldn't the dragongly red win outright portability-wise? tiny and with negligible weight? 

oh yes, easily dragonfly wins for weight/form factor (small footprint etc)
...but just how heavy is the mojo/extender (with a pouch) is something i'll experiment with
...it's all about the better sound and added versatility...so we'll see.

nice small pouch to carry it around might not make that much of a difference vs ipod touch and dragonfly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back