Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 1, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #18,331 of 42,765

How well will mojo drive the 800s or does the 800s need more power

I've been doing it for a few weeks and for my purposes the Mojo drives the 800 S perfectly well.  It's quite enjoyable and I have lots of power left on the volume balls (let me know if you want me to report on the colors for average listening--I never looked).  There are of course those who will say that you need a separate amp with lots of power. Good let them use an amp,  I'm happy with Mojo's output which is not at weak to my ears.  I know this heresy.

I agree as it drives my HD 800 very well.  However, used as a dac only and  hook it up to a good amp and its even better.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #18,332 of 42,765
How well will mojo drive the 800s or does the 800s need more power

I've used my Mojo to drive my 800S and it does a very nice job.

The 800S certainly benefit from having more power on tap, and with very dynamic music the Mojo doesn't drive the 800S to their absolute best (there's an effortless sense to the HD800S when driven by something like a WA5LE or a Ragnarok, which isn't present with the Mojo), but it's still a fabulous combination.

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #18,333 of 42,765
Just thought I'd remind Mojo users that it has the same power output as the Hugo. So, if anyone feels the Hugo can drive their headphones well then so will the Mojo from a power perspective.

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #18,336 of 42,765

I've been doing it for a few weeks and for my purposes the Mojo drives the 800 S perfectly well.  It's quite enjoyable and I have lots of power left on the volume balls (let me know if you want me to report on the colors for average listening--I never looked).  There are of course those who will say that you need a separate amp with lots of power. Good let them use an amp,  I'm happy with Mojo's output which is not at weak to my ears.  I know this heresy.

Same feedback here. Mojo has no trouble AT ALL driving my new HD 800 S. Color-wise, I very very rarely go beyond blue and there is still too much power left on the volume balls. Green and a little blue-green is my average during my daily listens.

I can guarantee you that going all the way to white on color balls to max with HD 800 S (or with any other power hungry HPs) is highly likely to cause the listener an irreparable ear damage.

I almost exploded my ear drums some time back while I was testing the output with one of Shostakovitch's big orchestral pieces.

And I can also remind you that Rob does not recommend any AMP with Mojo, as this simply creates another medium between the source and HPs, eventually causing loss in transparency and depth (therefore SQ).

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #18,337 of 42,765
For me the limits were not in terms of volume/spl ... the Mojo will certainly drive the HD800S to ear-bleeding levels.

Volume matched, going back and forth between the native Mojo output and running it through one of my two more powerful amplifiers, I still find there's more openness, more visceral dynamics and a greater sense of ease about the musical presentation through the big amps.

Of course, you can't stick a WA5LE or Ragnarok in your pocket.

I did try my Mojo through both my ALO Audio Int+ OE and RSA Intruder and definitely preferred the Mojo without an amp in those cases.

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #18,338 of 42,765
  For me the limits were not in terms of volume/spl ... the Mojo will certainly drive the HD800S to ear-bleeding levels.

Volume matched, going back and forth between the native Mojo output and running it through one of my two more powerful amplifiers, I still find there's more openness, more visceral dynamics and a greater sense of ease about the musical presentation through the big amps.

Of course, you can't stick a WA5LE or Ragnarok in your pocket.

I did try my Mojo through both my ALO Audio Int+ OE and RSA Intruder and definitely preferred the Mojo without an amp in those cases.

Pretty much mirros my observation too. If you only have the Mojo, you don't really know what you're missing with a well-paired desktop amp/dac setup. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #18,340 of 42,765
I am a new Mojo owner. Can say that It is an upgrade from my Fiio X7 AM2. I have a question and am sure it must have been discussed before so pardon my ignorance.  When I connect the Mojo with my Macbook Air the Bit Rate indicator stays fixed at 768 (purple)  irrespective of the rate of the track played. Is this normal. Its works as perfectly with my lenovo Vibe P1 (only in the Airplane mode) though. I also connected it to my iPad and Iphone and I felt there was quite a lot of interference on my Iphone as compared to the iPad which was in the Airplane mode. I am using a shure SE846 for my initial listening. Thanks

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #18,341 of 42,765
I'll get around to trying my mojo into my liquid crimson here soon. I'm pretty curious about that.

Mojo vs DAC-19 feeding your Crimson is pretty interesting. Can you do this comparison?

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #18,342 of 42,765
  I am a new Mojo owner. Can say that It is an upgrade from my Fiio X7 AM2. I have a question and am sure it must have been discussed before so pardon my ignorance.  When I connect the Mojo with my Macbook Air the Bit Rate indicator stays fixed at 768 (purple)  irrespective of the rate of the track played. Is this normal. Its works as perfectly with my lenovo Vibe P1 (only in the Airplane mode) though. I also connected it to my iPad and Iphone and I felt there was quite a lot of interference on my Iphone as compared to the iPad which was in the Airplane mode. I am using a shure SE846 for my initial listening. Thanks

Music player such as Audirvana + will help matching music source file rate to output rate in the preferences of A+ in OSX.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #18,343 of 42,765
  Thank you for response friend. I now tried and it doesn't cut off if I plug the charging USB cable to the back of my motherboard (it was in front 3.0 at first) I tried switching the light on/off like 10 times and it only cut off once due to leaving the switch accidentally midway which cuts the light out super rapidly but it didn't even stop the music, just a spike so works for now :)

It didn't also affect when the USB charging wasn't connected at all
What I find weird is how the surge gets past my PC PSU and doesn't affect my mouse or keyboard or anything like that hmm..
I will now definitely buy a surge protector extension cable just to make sure my gear is safe.
Seems like when I touch the aluminium part of my Ether Cs it creates a electric buzz that comes out the headphones, it is very quiet though.

I also have problems with my speakers when turning my fan on/off the speakers just pop so I guess a surge protector would help with that too.

As @shultzee mentioned you may have grounding issues. Are you sure your desktop computer is connected to ground ?
If you are using an AC multi socket plug verify the grounding too.Because the only time I experienced an electric feeling/buzz in my ETHER C's was two days ago when outside weather was stormy with lightenning.
I know you are enjoying the combo so much but not at such point. Cheers
dt880smile.png

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #18,344 of 42,765

That is because, Mac up-samples the data. You need an app that feeds bit perfect data into Mojo. There are a number of apps out there that can do bit-perfect: Vox, Audirvana +, Jriver, Amarra..

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #18,345 of 42,765
That is because, Mac up-samples the data. You need an app that feeds bit perfect data into Mojo. There are a number of apps out there that can do bit-perfect: Vox, Audirvana +, Jriver, Amarra..

The bitrate settings can also be changed without having to download anything by going to the Utilities folder and opening audio MIDI setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back