Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 1, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #18,316 of 42,765
  Yay just got my Mojo time to listen!

Oh yeah... That's it...

Looks like someone has enlightened.
beerchug.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #18,317 of 42,765
Whenever I flip lightswitch or turn on a fan the Mojo cuts off signal and when I try to play music again it just bugs out and goes outputs pretty much noise, it recovers after like 20 seconds or so though. (This is while its charging) Is there any fix to this and is it damaging the unit? :frowning2:

What it does this even when the usb charging is done from the USB 3.0 port of my PC hmm

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #18,318 of 42,765
  I'm just curious, why is special about the Apple Lightning -> USB connector that allows it to work aside from the fact is has an MFi chip? 

I've seen quite a few third party charging cables that advertise that they are MFi certified, would it work if we use a female usb->microusb and then use this with standard Apple charging cable to connect to the Mojo? Or does the Apple Lightning to USB has some other special chip that allows it to interface with the Mojo?

Or maybe even this, which is an official Apple product which I believe should also contain an MFi chip, so any microusb->microusb cable can be used?

I don't have one myself, just wondering if anyone has tried 
smile.gif

I don't think the apple micro-USB to Lightning adapter will work for external DACs, but I have one for other reasons so I'll give it a try when I get home this evening.

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #18,319 of 42,765
  Whenever I flip lightswitch or turn on a fan the Mojo cuts off signal and when I try to play music again it just bugs out and goes outputs pretty much noise, it recovers after like 20 seconds or so though. (This is while its charging) Is there any fix to this and is it damaging the unit? :frowning2:

Hi @Delayeed,
You may have some issues with your AC mains (spikes/parasites...). If such, when turning off/on fan or lightswitchs you should also see some artefacts in your TV's screen for example ( or when listenning to radio).
It should not damage your Mojo but it depends on the intensity of current spikes.

At some extent,I experienced the same with my Mojo when powering Off/On my active monitor speakers. In that case, the spike was entering the DAC through one of the headphone's output.As a result Foobar/Asio was loosing connection with the DAC & stopping the music but no noise.
I now change my procedure and mute the passive attenuator I have between headphone output and monitors before powering the loudspeakers.

You may
 ° since it is easier change charger.
 ° repeat your observation when Mojo is feeded by optical fiber and disconnect the USB port, in order to know from which port(s) the        interference is entering;
 ° repeat your observations with Mojo's on battery and USB charger cable removed
 ° find/use some main power filter sockets/appliances to reduce the issue.
 ° etc...

Cheers.

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #18,320 of 42,765
  Hi @Delayeed,
You may have some issues with your AC mains (spikes/parasites...). If such, when turning off/on fan or lightswitchs you should also see some artefacts in your TV's screen for example ( or when listenning to radio).
It should not damage your Mojo but it depends on the intensity of current spikes.

At some extent,I experienced the same with my Mojo when powering Off/On my active monitor speakers. In that case, the spike was entering the DAC through one of the headphone's output.As a result Foobar/Asio was loosing connection with the DAC & stopping the music but no noise.
I now change my procedure and mute the passive attenuator I have between headphone output and monitors before powering the loudspeakers.

You may
 ° repeat your observation when Mojo is feeded by optical fiber and disconnect the USB port, in order to know from which port(s) the        interference is entering;
 ° etc...

Cheers.

Thank you for response friend. I now tried and it doesn't cut off if I plug the charging USB cable to the back of my motherboard (it was in front 3.0 at first) I tried switching the light on/off like 10 times and it only cut off once due to leaving the switch accidentally midway which cuts the light out super rapidly but it didn't even stop the music, just a spike so works for now :)

It didn't also affect when the USB charging wasn't connected at all
What I find weird is how the surge gets past my PC PSU and doesn't affect my mouse or keyboard or anything like that hmm..
I will now definitely buy a surge protector extension cable just to make sure my gear is safe.
Seems like when I touch the aluminium part of my Ether Cs it creates a electric buzz that comes out the headphones, it is very quiet though.

I also have problems with my speakers when turning my fan on/off the speakers just pop so I guess a surge protector would help with that too.

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #18,323 of 42,765
So I've seen a lot of ppl using the Mojo as their DAC, connecting to another amp. The Mojo doesn't have RCA outs, how is this achieved?

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #18,324 of 42,765
  So I've seen a lot of ppl using the Mojo as their DAC, connecting to another amp. The Mojo doesn't have RCA outs, how is this achieved?

Using the same 3.5mm output from Mojo as a pair of headphones would use, but with the volume control set to an appropriate line-level.

Please read Post #3 to see a detailed explanation of why Mojos output stage is somewhat unorthodox

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #18,325 of 42,765

Using the same 3.5mm output from Mojo as a pair of headphones would use, but with the volume control set to an appropriate line-level.

Please read Post #3 to see a detailed explanation of why Mojos output stage is somewhat unorthodox

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I'm basically debating whether to get a Mojo vs a Bifrost Multibit as a desktop amp. Does the way the Mojo outputs using the 3.5mm to an amp decreased the signal quality at all, vs the regular stereo RCA connectors? Also, how do the two compare as strictly DAC?

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #18,326 of 42,765

Hi @Delayeed,

You may
 ° etc...

Cheers.

Thank you for response friend. I now tried and it doesn't cut off if I plug the charging USB cable to the back of my motherboard (it was in front 3.0 at first) I tried switching the light on/off like 10 times and it only cut off once due to leaving the switch accidentally midway which cuts the light out super rapidly but it didn't even stop the music, just a spike so works for now :)

It didn't also affect when the USB charging wasn't connected at all
What I find weird is how the surge gets past my PC PSU and doesn't affect my mouse or keyboard or anything like that hmm..
I will now definitely buy a surge protector extension cable just to make sure my gear is safe.
Seems like when I touch the aluminium part of my Ether Cs it creates a electric buzz that comes out the headphones, it is very quiet though.

I also have problems with my speakers when turning my fan on/off the speakers just pop so I guess a surge protector would help with that too.

You may have a house grounding issue there.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #18,328 of 42,765

I happen to use audioquest evergreen and like it

Perfect, that's all I needed to know. Does splitting the connection like that degrade the signal at all?

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #18,329 of 42,765
How well will mojo drive the 800s or does the 800s need more power

I've been doing it for a few weeks and for my purposes the Mojo drives the 800 S perfectly well.  It's quite enjoyable and I have lots of power left on the volume balls (let me know if you want me to report on the colors for average listening--I never looked).  There are of course those who will say that you need a separate amp with lots of power. Good let them use an amp,  I'm happy with Mojo's output which is not at weak to my ears.  I know this heresy.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #18,330 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back