Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 13, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #15,901 of 42,765
I have tried today the Mojo in comparison with the Resonessence Herus, listening with my modded TH900 (less midrange dips, more balanced sound than the stock version).
Some comparative thoughts.

- The Mojo sounds smoother. The Herus when used with an external USB power bank sounds smoother, but still not as smooth as the Mojo.
- The Mojo sounds more balanced on tonality, but not yet perfect. Instruments pitch is better and more faithful to reality than the Herus. The Herus has more midrange ringing, the Mojo has more treble. I think bright headphones are not the optimal match for the Mojo, though the Mojo itself is not bright. It might do with the harmonic structure of the sound through the Mojo.
- The Herus bass hits at a very slightly different spot, therefore they are perceived as slightly different, but both have similar extension. I tend to like the Herus bass a tiny bit more more, as it's perhaps more resonant.
- The Herus sounds a bit drier, there is more space between instruments, but it makes the comparative sensation of slight hollowness, even though it has slightly more body than the Mojo.
- Overall, the Mojo is better, more musical and higher fidelity than the Herus, though the difference is not big. For the price, the Herus is still a steal.

If I have to find something to nag about, the Mojo could be a bit more effortlessly dynamic on both micro and macro levels. It's somewhat polite, "optimally damped", well executed "delta-sigma" sound.

All in all, I am not so much blown away by the Mojo as I expected based on the rave reviews, but it is indeed among the best portable DACs.
Things are getting better and better.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #15,902 of 42,765
  Really bro? the 5V 2A is better then 5V 1A? why so? whats the difference on the (A) between time, charge or something?
I have 2 charges here over 5V 1A, and i was considering to buy the iphone 6 charger that's 5V 1A

Despite the fact that Apple ships a 1 amp charger with the Iphone 6, the Iphone 6 and 6S charge circuit can use a 2 Amp charger and will charge faster with it. Mojo can also safely use a 2 Amp charger because of its built in safety charge circuit. So both can use the same charger.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #15,903 of 42,765

So, if i"m using a Final Sonorous VI, which is rated at 8 Ohms, the Mojo will have to work harder, therefore draining the battery faster? i don't get it....a 300Ohms headphone will use less power, (considering they have the same sensitivity)??  how come then you can't really use a 300Ohms headphone with a low power source like a smartphone?  

I don't understand either?

If we use some basic fundamentals like  V = I R and P = I V,   therefore P  =  I squared  R.

Say for simplicity sake we say that I = 1 Amp and R = 1 Ohm, therefore P would = 1 Watt.

If we then changed R  to 2 Ohms we would then double the power to 2 Watts.

I know that 1 Amp is very high in portable audio reality but it just makes it easier to demonstrate the point.

I also know that Impedance is more complex than simple resistance (R) and is also frequency related.

I think that my point demonstrates that increasing the Impedance increases the power consumption?

Or perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree or over simplifying things?

Is there some other phenomenon going on?

I am also surprised that Chord have 2 identical headphone outputs and do not have a dedicated line output circuit like other companies?

P.S. this is not my area but I would be interested to know.
popcorn.gif

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #15,904 of 42,765
I think bright headphones are not the optimal match for the Mojo, though the Mojo itself is not bright.

I also use TH900s, although my are unmodded, and completely agree with your comment.

I find I have to use some equalisation with the TH900s as otherwise they sound somewhat boosted in both the bass and treble compared with my other DACs; these both use TI/Burr Brown DAC chips and seem to mesh better with the TH900s as standard.

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #15,905 of 42,765
So, if i"m using a Final Sonorous VI, which is rated at 8 Ohms, the Mojo will have to work harder, therefore draining the battery faster? i don't get it....a 300Ohms headphone will use less power, (considering they have the same sensitivity)??  how come then you can't really use a 300Ohms headphone with a low power source like a smartphone?  
It's because to 300 Ohms headphones need more voltage swing than sensitive IEMs mojo has five Volts RMS output where as most phones have less than one volt so they can hardly get the drivers moving.

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #15,906 of 42,765
@Light - Man, power is p =v * i. so high impedance headphones need more voltage and less current for the same power . sensitivity is other issue. a low impedance but low sensitivity headphone is most difficult because it will demand more output ( voltage) and will draw more current at the same time due to low impedance (like some planars ) . I have beyer DT 800, 600 ohm with mojo. mojo does not have any problem in driving these even when these demand over 1.5 v or so output and even upto 2.5 in some cases when watching movies.

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #15,907 of 42,765
I'm using cable with ferrite choke right now. When the iPhone is placed in line with mojo, it helps. When the iPhone is placed on top of Mojo, the RF goes funky. I'm using iPhone SE; it emits RF way more than 6s. Moreover, I'm using Tidal HiFi. Bigger stream size& longer download time force me to put Mojo & iPhone in different pockets.

The issue with RF is that it can get into the tinniest hole.  I've oft considered a ferrite spray to coat the end of my cables and maybe apply around the port on the mojo but not in it.  Or some kind of tape that I could use to attach the micro usb to the mojo port and then spray ferrite on it, essentially leaving the cord attached.  I just haven't done it yet.  If I could get ferrite on the end of the cable I'm sure most of the RF would be gone or completely eliminated.  Stopping it where the data enters the dac-the end of the line-is the most important.

One strange phenomena that I've yet to account for is that sometimes the RF is in only the left ciem or maybe 70/30 in the left.  I have no idea how this could happen.

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #15,908 of 42,765
  Hi guys

Im in need of help / resolution to my issue with the Mojo I bought a couple months ago to use with my Audeze LCD-X.

I am a music producer and use it with my headphones when composing / mixing

Issue is, i also reference other materials outside of my production software (youtube tutorials, reference tracks etc)

The Mojo's drivers seem to lock it to 1 audio source at a time. So I cant play a youtube video for example as the system is locked into the production software.

Ive tried ASIO4All drivers as well, but it seems this multiple sample rate detection feature on the Mojo actually makes it impossible to work with more than 1 thing at a time.

Is this the case? as if so mines up for sale in the classifieds section as its damaging my workflow, if there is a fix, please save my life!

The Mojo picks up whatever is playing, like Youtube etc. However if you are using software and running audio at more than 44.1KHz, you have to close it down. Otherwise the Mojo will not move on to play Youtube because it can't run two sampling rates at the same time. As Youtube is at 44.1KHz. I guess that might what you experience.

Or if we use e.g. WASAPI like I do in JRiver, I have to close that down before using Youtube. Basically because the WASAPI driver is still running. Close that down and then you PC will initialise direct sound which Youtube will use, when you start Youtube.

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #15,909 of 42,765

The Mojo picks up whatever is playing, like Youtube etc. However if you are using software and running audio at more than 44.1KHz, you have to close it down. Otherwise the Mojo will not move on to play Youtube because it can't run two sampling rates at the same time. As Youtube is at 44.1KHz. I guess that might what you experience.

thanks i assumed this was the issue, apart from both my software and youtube at 44.1

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #15,913 of 42,765

Yeah that's probably it, if you are using ASIO. You'd need to shut down any software running that driver before you firing up Youtube. Assuming Youtube uses Direct Sound; I think it does.

I have the same issue. Confuses me sometimes and than I remember, "Ah yeah. Gotta shut down JRiver".

But if the Mojo driver is asio based and my music software is asio why is there an issue?

Ive attempted not having youtube open and then opening it once my software is loaded but no luck, is it the whole of my browser i need to close and open after?

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #15,914 of 42,765
  But if the Mojo driver is asio based and my music software is asio why is there an issue?

Ive attempted not having youtube open and then opening it once my software is loaded but no luck, is it the whole of my browser i need to close and open after?

I am a bit stuck why you are stuck but I will try to explain again. No worries.

If you are running software that runs ASIO then you are sending bit perfect data. Same with WASAPI. The computer has initiated that driver. (When you install the Mojo drivers it installs all the drivers for the Mojo. WASAPI, ASIO, Direct Sound, and any other if there are any.) However your PC then tries to runs Youtube through the Mojo, but Youtube uses Direct Sound. Therefor if you PC still has ASIO running, it can't run Direct Sound at the same time. You can only have one sound driver ruinning at the same time.

That's what I think. If I am wrong, then I guess someone will correct it. However what happens in principle is exactly this. You can only have one format running at once.

You can however run Youtube and music played over Direct Sound driver. I have just tested it again to be sure but I knew already. I played a youtube vid. Plus I ran a FLAC rip in Media Go software which only allows me only the Direct Sound driver.

Good luck.

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #15,915 of 42,765
Hi, URGENT. Massdrop is now offering "Little Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp"

I wanna know that is there any improvement if I stack Mojo with this? I would love to have smooth sounding (Treble especially) on my TH-600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back