Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 13, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #15,886 of 42,765
  I was using a Fiio X3 and X5 (both first generation) to drive my Mojo. They use a very simple and reliable coax cable and when you carry the Mojo and the player in your pocket it stays connected and works fine. 

I read peoples comments about the Galaxy S4 so for giggles I picked one up. It connects to the Mojo using a USB Mini B type connector. The first thing I learned is the connection is NOT reliable. The Mini USB B connector is not as reliable as a coax cable, so if you are carrying the S4 and Mojo in your pocket you will encounter dropouts in sound as the connection makes and breaks. The connector on the S4 should not be described as robust, and on the Mojo it seems the connector does not seat very deep and it could wiggle as well.

Of course if you are stationary and want smartphone capabilities then it's probably just fine. I am guessing someone will pipe in here and say they have had zero problem with this but I wanted to make sure I indicated that I have. 

If I was making a choice of what kind of player to get I would choose one that outputs coax as it's a simple and reliable connection. As to which player sounds better sending digital signals to the Mojo, I leave that up to those who can hear that difference. I think the X3, X5 and Galaxy S4 all sound really good with the Mojo. The one that sounds best is the one I am using at the moment, no matter which of the three it is.

(I also use the SE 846, with stock cables though)

Nice bro, i got you idea.
I really like my S4 and i dont wanna at moment a DAP as X5 or X5, because i like to listing to on spotify ( 320kbps mp3 ) and tidal ( hifi flac ),
so... i'll keep my S4 until im done and get some more better to play DSD and be more nice too.

Have you test the silver dragon cable from moon audio to see the difference?

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #15,888 of 42,765
I can't say by how much though probably not that much. I'd mentioned it before because it's just one of any number of factors that can decrease the playing time.
Thanks for the reply.

Apr 13, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #15,889 of 42,765
  Hi, 
thats really weird that you say that they tend to be a little boring. This is something I only felt at the very beginning after buying them. I did also buy at the same time the hifiman he400 and the shure 846, so compared to them that was my feelin, but over time i grew more accustomed to the sound of the NADs. How long do you own them already?

I'm not sure if to simply buy the mojo and sell my geekout and dx90... first world problems

Hey
By boring I mean lacking that musicality that other more expensive headphones do give. From a value standpoint though the HP50 is very good. Compared with the types like the HD600/650 Sennheisers and the Meze 99 (had a chance to hear them recently) I do find the HP50 a bit lacking in sub-bass notes (not the same impact) and the highs don't extend as much. That's personal preference though. I do have them since May 2015
wink.gif

I'd say get the Mojo. You won't be disapointed with its performance. You can add an amp later on if feel like it.

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #15,890 of 42,765
Finally we have Mojo battery spec!
Thanks Rob.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mojo would be perfect if it wasn't prone to RF.
But full aluminium casing is understandable&reasonable as the FPGA & big battery emit much heat to be dissipated. Ferrite chokes only decreases RF from cable to certain amount, thus phone+streaming+Mojo stack is quite noisy (and unacceptable, for me).

Actually ferrite chokes can make a significant difference. I use a large one with the cord wrapped around it several times.  It's snugged as close to Mojo as possible since that is where the RF enters.  I've got two smaller one's behind the big one.  The difference having vs not having them is significant.  Also the difference between placing them in the right place vs wrong place is just as significant.

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #15,891 of 42,765
  I'm sure this has been mentioned here before but in case you missed it: 

If you don't like the CCK between iPhone and Mojo (I hate it), the L19 cable from FiiO works perfectly. It's just the right length for iPhone and Mojo to sit side-by-side, or to stack back-to-back if that's your thing. Basically, it's neater and tidier.

Any concerns about bending it to have the iPhone go back to back with the Mojo?

It connects fine, and seems easier side-by-side.  The Larvibble cable is quite a bit more, but looks like it will be more flexible.   

I think more than a few people love Apple products, but not the company.   
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #15,894 of 42,765
Any concerns about bending it to have the iPhone go back to back with the Mojo?

It connects fine, and seems easier side-by-side.  The Larvibble cable is quite a bit more, but looks like it will be more flexible.   

I think more than a few people love Apple products, but not the company.   :wink:

No problems going back-to-back. The cable is sturdy and feels well made, but is also flexible.

That said, I've only had the cable a few weeks and don't know how long it'll last.

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #15,896 of 42,765
Hi the battery playing time is dependant on several factors I'm afraid the first being how hard the FPGA is working and this goes for the USB chip too this is dependant on the size of the files it's processing the bigger the more power I will take as there is a lot of processing going on inside mojo it's not like a simple Dac chip. The second factor is what it's driving surprisingly many Higher quality IEMs have impedances as low as eleven Ohms therefore mojo has to work harder . There are other factors too such as The ambient temperature and the natural capacity tolerance of the battery too. I doubt you unit has a problem it's more likely to be a number of these factors coming into play ofcourse if your at home you can play and charge at the same time. I hope that helps. JF.

So, if i"m using a Final Sonorous VI, which is rated at 8 Ohms, the Mojo will have to work harder, therefore draining the battery faster? i don't get it....a 300Ohms headphone will use less power, (considering they have the same sensitivity)??  how come then you can't really use a 300Ohms headphone with a low power source like a smartphone?  

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #15,897 of 42,765
Actually ferrite chokes can make a significant difference. I use a large one with the cord wrapped around it several times.  It's snugged as close to Mojo as possible since that is where the RF enters.  I've got two smaller one's behind the big one.  The difference having vs not having them is significant.  Also the difference between placing them in the right place vs wrong place is just as significant.

I'm using cable with ferrite choke right now. When the iPhone is placed in line with mojo, it helps. When the iPhone is placed on top of Mojo, the RF goes funky. I'm using iPhone SE; it emits RF way more than 6s. Moreover, I'm using Tidal HiFi. Bigger stream size& longer download time force me to put Mojo & iPhone in different pockets.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #15,898 of 42,765
Hi guys

Im in need of help / resolution to my issue with the Mojo I bought a couple months ago to use with my Audeze LCD-X.

I am a music producer and use it with my headphones when composing / mixing

Issue is, i also reference other materials outside of my production software (youtube tutorials, reference tracks etc)

The Mojo's drivers seem to lock it to 1 audio source at a time. So I cant play a youtube video for example as the system is locked into the production software.

Ive tried ASIO4All drivers as well, but it seems this multiple sample rate detection feature on the Mojo actually makes it impossible to work with more than 1 thing at a time.

Is this the case? as if so mines up for sale in the classifieds section as its damaging my workflow, if there is a fix, please save my life!

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #15,899 of 42,765

Enjoying the **** out of my Mojo but I got a concern..

My battery has gotten to the point of playing back about 4 hours from full blue charge to dead.
I bought this from e-earphone IIRC? Do they handle that stuff or does Chord? I love it and am not gonna bitch...**** happens...but any guidance via PM or otherwise would be cool
beerchug.gif

Where did you get that great case for the mojo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back