Chord Hugo
Jun 20, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #11,041 of 15,694
has anyone used fiio x3k as transport for Hugo ? I have just ordered x3k. I could use my Android with hiby player as transport for portable use but a bit apprehensive for weak USB input Hugo. I have found that by far an android device with uapp player or hiby player in aeroplane mode is the cleanest and most direct route to Hugo. how will it compare with coaxial of fiio x3k ?

What do you mean by weak USB input for Hugo, signal strength or physical strength?

I think he means connection strength. You know coaxial locks in good. Micro can wiggle out. As far as quality of input USB works great for me via iPhone or iMac.

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #11,042 of 15,694
has anyone used fiio x3k as transport for Hugo ? I have just ordered x3k. I could use my Android with hiby player as transport for portable use but a bit apprehensive for weak USB input Hugo. I have found that by far an android device with uapp player or hiby player in aeroplane mode is the cleanest and most direct route to Hugo. how will it compare with coaxial of fiio x3k ?

I have tried ibasso DX90 via SPDIF, sound quality is good but I still prefer android device via UAPP. To my ears, Hugo USB input gives better bass resolution.

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #11,043 of 15,694
Noob question here. Been looking for a transport for pairing with the Hugo.
If I read correctly transport just acts like a storage for our digital music files.
How does affects the SQ when it goes to the Hugo? Is it the components inside the transport?

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #11,044 of 15,694
I have tried ibasso DX90 via SPDIF, sound quality is good but I still prefer android device via UAPP. To my ears, Hugo USB input gives better bass resolution.
thanks a lot, I experienced the same when fed by coaxial out of bdp, USB input has better soundstage. by weaker USB input I meant physically weak USB input socket as I have older version.

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #11,045 of 15,694
thanks a lot, I experienced the same when fed by coaxial out of bdp, USB input has better soundstage. by weaker USB input I meant physically weak USB input socket as I have older version.

If you haven't try it, you can also use your android phone as Network Audio Adapter with UAPP. Hence, you can access music files on your PC and play them through UAPP. I detect the same sound quality playing internal files compare to streaming via UAPP.

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #11,046 of 15,694
Noob question here. Been looking for a transport for pairing with the Hugo.
If I read correctly transport just acts like a storage for our digital music files.
How does affects the SQ when it goes to the Hugo? Is it the components inside the transport?

Anytime you stream the digital data you can introduce noise and effect the SQ.   The data being stored is not the issue as long as it's just data being transferred, although others would argue differently.

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #11,048 of 15,694
Did anyone manage to create a 5.1 setup using 3 hugos is in parallel?
I wonder if Jriver could pull it off

The hardest part in making that work is finding the other two Hugos.
Maybe you want to start with Quad
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #11,051 of 15,694
Quote: Could you comment on 812's vs the TH900 Fostex. I have the Fostex and find they are a good match for the Hugo, though Stax 009/modded 727 is still superior by a good margin
  Missing my vintage NOS 300B tubes after I destroyed them days ago, I realized the Hugo with the AKG K812 via Audioquest Diamond USB2 mimics that smooth tube sound.  In this dead quiet summer night, Enya's Only Time floated outside of my ears. Nearly sounding like my 300B driving a pair of KEF LS50 or better yet, Enya in my room. Now, that's lovely indeed.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #11,052 of 15,694

I rate the 812 between the hd800 and GS1000i with the Hugo, using the AQ Diamond cords.
Like you, using the Hugo as DAC with 727t2 and SR-009 is way better.  Regarding the 812, the speed is apparent with the Hugo, I can also listen longer this way compared with 900.  I feel the Fostex a bit warm, colored and can be harsh with certain vocals, like Enya and Adele. Krall and Norah Jones does sound better with TH900 over K812, so I still love my TH900.  Also, Bach organs is fantastic with TH900, even better in my opinion to the KCD3.
I would rate with Hugo like this:
SR-009 > HD800 > K812 > TH900 > IE846

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #11,053 of 15,694
Has anyone bought the Onkyo HD Player Pack for the HF Player. A $9.99 in-app product for iOS?
What features does it add for the iPhone and how different does it sound with the Hugo?
Thanks.

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #11,054 of 15,694
  Has anyone bought the Onkyo HD Player Pack for the HF Player. A $9.99 in-app product for iOS?
What features does it add for the iPhone and how different does it sound with the Hugo?
Thanks.

I'm using it, and it allows you to customize and save settings for the 11 band equalizer. as well as up-sample your Hi Res music to 188 khz and lossy tracks to 48 khz.  Don't know how the heck that works, but it does make a noticeable improvement on many of my tracks (44/16 to 96/24 mostly). Sorry, I can't answer much more about it, as I haven't done any research on what this upsampling actually does.  Maybe someone hear can educate me?

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #11,055 of 15,694
The paid version most essentially allows you to play high resolution files including DSD (DoP) natively when using an attached dac such as the Hugo, thus turning your iPhone into a true high resolution source device. When set to Airport Mode and bluetooth is turned off it makes for an exceptionally low noise, compact and totally off the grid 'reference class system' :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back