Chord Hugo
Jan 12, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #9,317 of 15,694
  Could be but the UK/Europe difference threw me off since it actually seems cheaper in Europe.  I was curious if someone smarter and better informed than me knew the reason.  

Probably because Chord is an European company. Alot of American products are way more expensive in Europe too. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #9,318 of 15,694
Sorry to vary from the dominant topic but, does anyone know why there is such a huge price difference for the Chord Hugo between the US and Europe?  The US price is $2495 through its authorized distributor.  The UK price is £1,400 which at current exchange rates equals $[COLOR=212121]2,117.22 [/COLOR].  The Dutch price is € 1.679,00 which at current exchange rates equals $1,979.36. I understand that there may be a little add on for exported products but these prices seem all over the place.  

Hugo is Usd$2000 in Singapore but a Mcintosh MHA100 is Usd$7100 in Singapore (Usd$4500 RRP in US)! go figure!!!

maybe we can do a swap!!! hahaha

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #9,320 of 15,694
  Could be but the UK/Europe difference threw me off since it actually seems cheaper in Europe.  I was curious if someone smarter and better informed than me knew the reason.  

firstly there is the exchange rate of the pound-dollar, pound-euro, then you have the country concerned import-tax plus if you're living in Europe you have VAT... it depends where you live to how much you pay.

I like the thrill of smuggling, I saved myself £120 buying my ZX1 from Japan, if I decided to get a AK240 I could save myself over £700 on importing one (pray tell me where that price difference comes from). 

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #9,321 of 15,694
has any body compared the PCM vs DSD playback quality of Hugo ? I use foobar I find dsd to be bit more laid back and quieter than PCM. PCM on the other hand sound more dynamic and energetic but the difference is very subtle. both sound very musical though.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #9,322 of 15,694
It depends a lot on the particular recording. Some DSD or other higher-res recordings from, say Acoustic Sounds or HDtracks sound fantastic, more relaxed and natural than their ordinary versions, some are not so hot.
(I use a Hugo and also a Meridian Direct DAC, and this is true with both.)

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #9,323 of 15,694
As much as I love the Hugo, I think that pre-processing DSD files in the Korg software to 88.2/24bit flac provides more convincing illusion of 'being there'. I know that this goes against my usual bent towards a more direct signal/file path, but I think the Hugo really shines with PCM. It also saves a ton of disk space, that I won't rule out as having an effect on me.
This isn't what I would call a huge qualitative difference but it's very audible... Maybe if I'd used different recordings for my tests I would have drawn a different conclusion. 

Quote:
has any body compared the PCM vs DSD playback quality of Hugo ? I use foobar I find dsd to be bit more laid back and quieter than PCM. PCM on the other hand sound more dynamic and energetic but the difference is very subtle. both sound very musical though.

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #9,324 of 15,694

Probably because Chord is an European company. Alot of American products are way more expensive in Europe too. 

Chord Electronics is a British company, headquartered in Kent.  Any difference in price will be down to the high VAT charges worn by UK customers. Note that their trademark sense of humour extends well beyond the casework on the Hugo. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #9,325 of 15,694
anyone having problem with their HD USB input? I tried one in headfonia store using my Galaxy S4 and it sounds brilliant so I deciced to pick one up but when I got home and tried the new rig with my S4 using the HD input,the Hugo dont recognize the device and the sample rate light didnt show up,but when I plug the SD input the chord recognize my S4,so anyone having this trouble too?

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #9,326 of 15,694
anyone having problem with their HD USB input? I tried one in headfonia store using my Galaxy S4 and it sounds brilliant so I deciced to pick one up but when I got home and tried the new rig with my S4 using the HD input,the Hugo dont recognize the device and the sample rate light didnt show up,but when I plug the SD input the chord recognize my S4,so anyone having this trouble too?

hi ur phone may not be compatible either with uapp or with chord Hugo. one of my friend also reported that his galaxy did not recognize his yulong DAC thru uapp .

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #9,327 of 15,694
hi, DSD to pcm conversion requires filtering of frequencies say above 30khz . korg has no choice filter as far as I know but j river and foobar both have choice of filters. choice is of cutting above 30khz and 50khz if I remember correctly. may be korg is allowing a bit more high frequency content making the sound a bit livelier. BTW which player you are using to feed Hugo ?

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #9,328 of 15,694

So what? We always pay more for American products (iPhone 6 for instance). It's nice to see we get some things cheaper sometimes. I bought Hugo at USD 1.700. I sold it since then but that's irrelevant.

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #9,330 of 15,694
hi, DSD to pcm conversion requires filtering of frequencies say above 30khz . korg has no choice filter as far as I know but j river and foobar both have choice of filters. choice is of cutting above 30khz and 50khz if I remember correctly. may be korg is allowing a bit more high frequency content making the sound a bit livelier. BTW which player you are using to feed Hugo ?

I'm using Audionirvana on a mac. But I also compared feeding the DSD's through Onkyo Player on the iPhone to playing the flacs on the AK120 for OTG Hugo use and preferred the flac files there. I freely admit that leaving my iPhone available for incoming calls may also have played a part in my decision. But the DSD felt a little more artificial than the PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back