Chord Hugo
Jan 10, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #9,286 of 15,692
my ZX1 has to be turned off before I can connect to Hugo... I have to turn Hugo on first then ZX1, if I fail to do that I get no music even though everything is showing as connected... confused the life out of me at first then I had this bright idea of reading the manual, clever me...
wink_face.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #9,287 of 15,692
adammax,

IINW, your photo indicates: 

If you are game for some trouble-shooting:

(1) Switch off and disconnect everything in your system.

(2) Connect source (direct) > hp. If there is no sound, check a) source, b) hp or c) hp cable.

(3) If there is sound, the issue is not the source or hp or hp cables.

(4) Switch off source. Connect source > Hugo > hp. Switch on Hugo (set volume accordingly to prevent ear shock). Make sure the correct input is selected. The sample freq light should come on. Switch on source. If possible, check if the source indicates that Hugo is connected. Press play. 

(5) If there is sound, Hugo is fine. If so, and you use an ext amp, go straight to (10). If not, move on to (6).

(6) If there is no sound from the usual hp output socket you use, try the other 2 hp sockets. If there is sound from the other hp ports, then it is probably that one hp socket. If there is no sound from all 3 hp sockets, then something could be faulty with Hugo's hp out module.

(7) If there is no sound from all hp sockets, try other inputs = HD USB or coaxial or optical. Hugo comes with complimentary cables for all input connections.

(8) If there is sound from other inputs but no sound from SD USB, try using another cable micro USB > USB A cable to connect source > Hugo. If you have a Samsung phone, use its data transfer/charger cable to try. If using an alternative cable still does not work with the SD USB input, the issue is likely isolated to this input only.

(9) If there is no sound from all inputs, try connecting the Hugo to other sources - DAP/smartphone/PC/tablet/CD player/media centre, etc. If there is still no sound from all these components, it is likely that the issue lies with: 
a. Hugo's input modules and/or 
b. Hugo's amp module.

(10) If you use an external amp, and there is sound when you connect direct to the Hugo, try another cable to connect Hugo > amp. If it still does not work, it is likely that the issue is the ext amp.

If trouble-shooting leads towards conclusions (6) or (8) or (9), I would advise you to contact your dealer, share your trouble-shooting results and send Hugo in for corrective 'surgery'.

HTH. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #9,288 of 15,692
OOps! I lied.  I use DBPowerAmp and it's DSD plug-in to convert to ALAC.  But, I can only convert to 192MHz or 96.  I'd prefer the 176.4 since it's a direct multiple of DSD.  I don't know if I'm losing by converting out of the multiples thereof.  But I can't get DBPA to do it.
I also didn't know FB2K could convert on it's own.
Oh my appologies for my response to your last response to my DXD post.
hi, I think its best to feed Hugo unaltered digital output. if it is DSD feed it as dop and not convert DSD to PCM. I believe Hugo has much more sophisticated algorithm to remove DSD ultrasonic noise than foobar or j river while converting DSD to PCM. using foobar with DSD plugin is a bit tricky at first but once done it is very straight forward. install sacd plugin from source forge net ( foobar website DSD plugin won't read iso) you would also need to install foobar asio plugin from their website. now select foobar dsd asio as output in preferences. now double click on foobar DSD asio and a menu appears in which select chord Hugo asio and DSD dop as output. now go to SACD in preferences and select output as DSD instead of PCM. also select stereo as preferred area which avoids the multichannel area of SACD iso. this way DSD is outputted as dop indicated as white light in Hugo.

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #9,289 of 15,692
Hello people,
A quick question to those of you who plug the Hugo directly into a power amp (in a 'proper' Hifi speakers set up),
What color (voltage level) do you set your hugo at? And what volume level are you using with JRMC - or whatever else you are using?

I've just realised that increasing the Hugo's output (now in the purples) and lowering the volume in JRMC (around 30) gives much better results.

Thanks! 

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #9,290 of 15,692
Hello people,
A quick question to those of you who plug the Hugo directly into a power amp (in a 'proper' Hifi speakers set up),
What color (voltage level) do you set your hugo at? And what volume level are you using with JRMC - or whatever else you are using?

I've just realised that increasing the Hugo's output (now in the purples) and lowering the volume in JRMC (around 30) gives much better results.

Thanks! 

You can switch off the preamp in the Hugo, risky idea if you are forgetful & use headphones but good if you want to bypass the Hugo's amplifier.

From the manual:
"Volume Bypass
Press and hold the Crossfeed switch whilst turning on to activate volume bypass mode. The volume control will illuminate light blue to indicate line level output. Using bypass mode, Hugo can be used as a standalone DAC"

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #9,291 of 15,692
You can switch off the preamp in the Hugo, risky idea if you are forgetful & use headphones but good if you want to bypass the Hugo's amplifier.

From the manual:
"Volume Bypass
Press and hold the Crossfeed switch whilst turning on to activate volume bypass mode. The volume control will illuminate light blue to indicate line level output. Using bypass mode, Hugo can be used as a standalone DAC"

Thanks Mate,
I'm aware of this function - I think Rob mentioned it basically sets the output level to 3v - which matches the Chord cute(?) - he used it in tests when developing the Hugo.

I'm not sure it's such a good idea to output 3v into a poweramp - the volume would be huge and to make it listenable I'll need to set JRMC to perhaps 10 (out of 100) and that would be a serious hit dynamic range - wise...

It's probably somewhere between 0.5v-2v - any feedback or ideas are welcome!

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #9,292 of 15,692
Hey Round,
It may be a subjective improvement but it's not a good practice. 
The Hugo has a much more sophisticated volume control than JRMC. I would set JRMC to 'disable volume' to get a pure digital signal from your source files. Use the volume control on the Hugo to control the level in your room.  This is from the JRMC Wiki page:

"Disabled Volume

Disabled Volume disables any volume controls. This mode is useful if you send audio to an external device with a hardware volume, and you want to avoid the complexity of two volumes."

The volume control in JRMC will truncate the data from your files. Not much, because it's done @ 64 bits. But remember it's still being transported via USB to the DAC @ 24bits, so attenuating in JRMC will result in less bits through through that transport. If you set the volume control in JRMC to 50% you're effectively sending only 12 bits of data over USB. 

I'm not promising that this will be an audible improvement, but it is much a much better practice to ensure that you deliver a clean data stream to the Hugo. It will also decrease the strain on your PC because it will have to do less real time processing. 

I'd be very surprised if Rob Watts didn't agree.

HTH!

Quote:
  Hello people,

Thanks! 

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #9,293 of 15,692
Thanks Sam,

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment, please see this part form Jriver forums:

If you're reproducing 16-bit music on a 24-bit (or 32-bit) DAC, the "performance" of the volume control is entirely irrelevant unless it compromises the 96dB envelope of the original recording.  Put another way, even if you lose 40dB of dynamic range using the digital volume control on a 24-bit DAC, you still have 104dB of dynamic range, which is more than the source material.  Because there is no dynamic range to "lose," the performance of the volume control is a red herring.  With 24-bit music you may be discarding some very quiet bits, but whether bits that are effectively beyond the dynamic range of human hearing (outside of a lab) are important or not is something each of us will have to decide for ourselves.

(source here)

- Basically because Jriver is doing it's 'thing' at 64bit - and the Hugo is 32Bit - even if you use 20% of the volume most of the bits are there... I think, I wonder what Rob has to say about this.

For me it's unpractical to disable volume as I sit far from the Hugo and like the fine control of the Jremote app. I did compare the two options (full volume in Jriver, tiny volume on the Hugo and Low volume in Jriver (40) and higher (around 1V) out put from the Hugo) and the later, I think sounds better.

PS
I'm using Toslink to connect the PC to the Hugo - ASIO drivers and most of my content is red book though some higher res stuff too.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #9,294 of 15,692
Hey Round,
I don't agree with the writer and I think his advice is worth exactly what you payed for it. (I'm sure you can think the same of mine!)
I want to feed my Hugo the bits right out of the file as they were created in full fidelity to let the DAC create a maximum signal to noise ratio.
I'm not sure maximum volume in JRiver is the same as volume off. 
If it's a matter of convenience for you, then do what you want to do. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #9,295 of 15,692
I'd be interested in this as well. While I typically use 3v as this is easy to use as the startup volume, is their an ideal voltage to send to headphone amps (Violectric V281 and Stax srm 717) to maximize fidelity?

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #9,297 of 15,692
Is there anyone had experience using Sony Media Go with the Hugo as I am encountering a strange problem which is perplexing and can not determine if it is the software or the Hugo.
Thought i had it pinned down to the Media Go software but not so sure now....

System is a Win 8.1 laptop with I5 processor and 4gb memory if this helps. 

[size=12.8000001907349px]Started to get intermittent sound break up which can hear music still playing in background but get this loud digital distortion or like a electric amplified noise pass through and then actual bad break up of the music.  The strange thing is it does not happen at all when using with WMP with WAV files used.  I am using Flac files with Media Go and after WMP was playing back ok pointed towards the Media Go software.  But the big contradiction is I've noticed it happen when I touch the USB cable at the Hugo end it sets it off even worse into a fit of sound break ups.[/size]

I have tried a lot of process of elimination in terms of trying different USB cables, re-checking Media Go settings, Uninstalling Media GO then Re-install and same for the Hugo Win driver.
Tried different USB ports - same result.  All Flac music are cd rips which all play back fine through laptop speakers and my Walkman they are transferred to.  Again my Walkman works fine through the Hugo usb port with no issues. Also for clarification it is the HD USB port on Hugo it is going through.  

Another strange thing I have noticed i thought had also changed is when Hugo is via USB I still have control of the volume on the laptops master volume and through the Media Go volume bar also which I thought should be disabled if it was bypassing the laptops sound card as I am pretty sure I could not change the volume before from laptop when Hugo's plugged in. This also is the case with WMP in use which does not happen to.  Another thing I cannot select in Media Go settings is in a drop down box the option to use Hugo as an Asio device which is blanked out as if it does not register the Hugo is one so just states it as windows sound as default. 

Cannot remember how the USB sockets are when new but they both Hugo usb sockets seem to have some play no matter what usb cable is attached, again for clarification have always never been heavy handed or brutish with plugging & unplugging of the USB on the Hugo as it always was a concern for me the way they looked anyway so have always tried to apply caution with them.   

So, perplexed as it happens with one program and not the other but clearly with the Media Go  touching the usb cable near the Hugo end set's it off even worse although it will do it on its own accord at totally random intervals and length of duration when it is happening.  

Is it something simple I'm missing here or has anyone experienced the above themselves which can be resolved easy enough (hoping so!) 

Never used to have this problem so makes it even more strange.  Thought i'd ask on here first just in case it was a simple fix or solution from someone who might of come by this already before embarrassing myself asking the chaps at Chord. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #9,299 of 15,692
Hey Dallan,
I enjoyed having you over. Sorry about your wallet. Seriously, I'd keep my eyes open for a used one.

Quote:
  Thanks for the listen Sam, but now i am over two grand poorer.
redface.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #9,300 of 15,692
Hi Sam. Thank you for your detailed responses. I've followed them and it seems like it's the usb which is malfunctioning. I just contacted the dealer and am pending for a replacement unit.

Another question, are we able to extend the warranty of chord products? I'm kinda worried if due to wear and tear and the product is out of warranty, what will be the next course of action? Is dealer obliged to service for owners?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back