Chord Hugo
Jan 7, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #9,256 of 15,694
I would also LOVE it to use standard SD or CF cards so you could cary a lot of music... 4x SD slots? I'm just saying 1TB would be awesome!

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #9,257 of 15,694
I would also LOVE it to use standard SD or CF cards so you could cary a lot of music... 4x SD slots? I'm just saying 1TB would be awesome!

i currently use my ak240 (sometimes with my hugo as well) and useing the MQS streaming feature to play files from an iUSBportHD made by Hyper Drive. the iUSBportHD is configured with a 1TB drive. i can stream all my aiff files up to 192k with no problem. Can't stream DSD's but maybe someday! Also, Tidal running on my iPhone 6 streaming to my Hugo via Bluetooth is another awsome connection. 25 million tracks to choose from all in 16bit 44k cd quality and "look mom" no wires! so lets recap:

1. AK240 with the internal drive & sd card loaded with DSD files and/ or wifi streaming 1TB worth of aiff, alac, flac, etc. with an iUSBportHD drive tucked away in my briefcase/ backpack.

2. Chord Hugo & iPhone 6 streaming up to 25 million songs in full CD quality from Tidal via bluetooth (ie...no cck needed)

3. Patiently waiting for Tidal to be integrated into my ak240 via a system update, soon hopefully. When this happens, my ak240 toslink out into my chord hugo and 1TB iUSBportHD stack will provide virtually unlimited, lossless bliss.

Simply add headphones! If anyone is interested, I will provide photos.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #9,258 of 15,694
i currently use my ak240 (sometimes with my hugo as well) and useing the MQS streaming feature to play files from an iUSBportHD made by Hyper Drive. the iUSBportHD is configured with a 1TB drive. i can stream all my aiff files up to 192k with no problem. Can't stream DSD's but maybe someday! Also, Tidal running on my iPhone 6 streaming to my Hugo via Bluetooth is another awsome connection. 25 million tracks to choose from all in 16bit 44k cd quality and "look mom" no wires! so lets recap:

1. AK240 with the internal drive & sd card loaded with DSD files and/ or wifi streaming 1TB worth of aiff, alac, flac, etc. with an iUSBportHD drive tucked away in my briefcase/ backpack.

2. Chord Hugo & iPhone 6 streaming up to 25 million songs in full CD quality from Tidal via bluetooth (ie...no cck needed)

3. Patiently waiting for Tidal to be integrated into my ak240 via a system update, soon hopefully. When this happens, my ak240 toslink out into my chord hugo and 1TB iUSBportHD stack will provide virtually unlimited, lossless bliss.

Simply add headphones! If anyone is interested, I will provide photos.

I have a Seagate Wireless plus with tons of hires files transcoded to ALAC that I stream through 8Player>iPhone6>CCK>Hugo. I would love to get rid of extra things to charge and basically dick with. Although if somebody came out with a device that had an iPhone/Android app/controller - no screen, no UI - nothing, it would be a great companion for the Hugo. Like a portable Meridian Sooloos. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #9,259 of 15,694
I guess this little Windows 8.1 PC plus a compact powerbank could work? Just install foobar2000 there and then control the playlists from an Android/iOS device via Wi-Fi

TB2BuLhbpXXXXX2XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!20201261.jpg

TB2kofebpXXXXaKXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!20201261.jpg

106X39X9.8mm

TB2kwzMbXXXXXXkXXXXXXXXXXXX-2331994925.jpg

TB2A5nLbXXXXXXzXXXXXXXXXXXX-2331994925.jpg

Hook them up with a cable like this

TB2Vu1taXXXXXc1XXXXXXXXXXXX_!!16860876.jpg

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #9,260 of 15,694
I forgot to mention, one of the other bennefits of the iUSBportHD besides its large capacity is the fact that it is rechargable/ battery powered (8 hrs). A few other notes, besides MQS streaming, it also works with hundreds of apps that support HTTP, FTP, WebDAV, DLNA, uPnP. It supports 2 way file transfer (with up to 12 users), audio & video streaming. It also has both a SDXC slot and a USB port for attaching an additional hard drive that is accessible via its wireless capabilities. So theoretically, you could have access to stream 3TB of music video files on the go. Anyone wanting additional info:

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/iUSBportHD/

if there is interest, I will be glad to setup a specific post dedicated to this type of products. quite amazing really. There is a smaller version available that omits the built-in hard drive and provides wireless access to a Micro SD card slot & USB port.

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #9,262 of 15,694
i wonder how a DAP from chord would look like?...

i would be very interested in something that looks like the Shozy Alien pictured here:

add a small, good looking, functional touch screen. able to play ALL formats. Add dual micro sd card slots (128gb and above), MQS streaming, bluetooth w/ aptX, volume controls and an iphone/ android app for additional navigation & control. Sized somewhere between a credit card and an iPhone that can be tucked away within the elastic straps of the Hugo leather case. And finally, offer it in both silver and black priced in the $750 range. They would not be able to produce them fast enough.

Most importantly, allow it to work from accross the room with my new Hugo TT for home use. Yes...I have been looking for a device like this ever since i purchased my ak240. I guess you could say that I am looking for an Astell & Kern ak240 minus the amp & dac pieces allowing it to be slimmer. But it needs to be DXD & DSD128 (and above as developed) capable.

regards... Papa Kief

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #9,263 of 15,694
add a small, good looking, functional touch screen. 

From Chord? You're dreaming. It's going to be an all multicolored bubbles UI.
You would choose genre by memorizing: red = rock, green = acoustic, blue = metal, indigo = electronica, etc.
Then you would assign different LED colors to artists like Blue = "Blue Oyster Cult," Red = "The Police" (you have to turn on the red light), purple = "Prince," no color = "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince," etc.

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #9,264 of 15,694
  From Chord? You're dreaming. It's going to be an all multicolored bubbles UI.
You would choose genre by memorizing: red = rock, green = acoustic, blue = metal, indigo = electronica, etc.
Then you would assign different LED colors to artists like Blue = "Blue Oyster Cult," Red = "The Police" (you have to turn on the red light), purple = "Prince," no color = "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince," etc.

Yep.  How about put that useful display on TT displaying source on regular HUGO.  I do love my HUGO so much that I forgive a great deal with design elements.  

Also, Love the idea to make a smaller HUGO.  One about the size of my AK240 would be great :p

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #9,265 of 15,694
You guys need to look at how long it took Fiio to go from making amps and DACs to making a functional DAP - it's not a given that company which can build a good DAC/headamp will automatically be able to turn out a DAP that addresses the usability issues we saw with the first generation of 'uber DAP' from HiFiMan and others. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #9,266 of 15,694
Right. For my part, I'd be happy with just something that can strap to an iPhone without so much bulk, without all the ports, less battery, lower power would be fine, optimized for IEMs. Basically, something that would qualify as a true portable rather than a transportable. But, don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled that they got the Hugo down to what it is! Still, they give you that little portal, and when you look inside, there seems to be a lot of space. I don't know what's possible in actual circuit design. Just some idle wishing. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #9,269 of 15,694
The space between the top of the casing and the top of the IC chips. The height of the casing is dictated by those battery packs which would have to be redesigned flat. So, basically, speaking from ignorance, whatever engineering voodoo that Apple uses. But, again, just idle wishing. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #9,270 of 15,694
  The space between the top of the casing and the top of the IC chips. The height of the casing is dictated by those battery packs which would have to be redesigned flat. So, basically, speaking from ignorance, whatever engineering voodoo that Apple uses. But, again, just idle wishing. 

Hugo runs fan-less on custom-programmed chips, and includes an amp module inside. Perhaps, it may use 'that space' for heat dissipation. Methinks that is also why the casing is aircraft-grade aluminium.

Apple/<add name of fav Android manufacturer> is able to pack it a bit tighter because smartphones do not usually come with:

a) RCA outputs + co-axial port + optical out + 2 x USB outputs + 3 hp ports
b) Integrated hp amp/pre-amp that can deliver up to 35mW of power to a 600 Ohm load
c) A finely-stepped digital volume control system
d) Customised FPGA chips + circuitry to process/deliver up to 32-bit audio

If you think about it, until today, no other mass-produced consumer DAC fits all of the above into a casing of Hugo's size.

J. Franks and R. Watts are accomplished engineers. Although the design of Hugo is eccentric in some ways, we should perhaps give them the benefit of the doubt... in that they would not simply 'waste' space in a custom-designed/fabricated casing.
Which is not to say that newer tech would not make a Hugo II or III with a DAP inside possible. Hopefully, soon. 
tongue_smile.gif

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back