Chord Hugo
Jul 7, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #6,241 of 15,694
It's pretty good all around but does the hd800 very well. Andnthatvus atough headphone to make happy. Enjoy the new toy
Al

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #6,242 of 15,694
  I looked at the SE846 user manual, the sensitivity is extremely high (114dB 1mW 9 ohms), so you will hear some hiss from Hugo. They seem to have an in-line attenuator, so try that - this will eliminate the hiss, but I can't say whether it will affect the SQ.

Rob

Hi Rob

Thanks very much for your advice and continued input on this forum. Very much appreciated.

I think what I'm hearing is actually not hiss or a persistent "ssss" sound, but rather a sense of space (as a fellow head-fier who used the exact same setup as me described it). I apologize for misleading people about any hissing with the Hugo + 846 pairing because there really isn't any hiss but a sense of space. The sense of space that I'm hearing seems to be the noise floor of the Chord Hugo as listened through the very sensitive 846. This noise is reduced dramatically with the inline attenuator as you stated Rob, but you guessed it, the attenuator affects the SQ to my ears at least: overall, music sounds noticeably muffled with the attenuator and I prefer to not use it. I can definitely live with hearing the noise floor during very quiet passages because the Hugo + 846 pairing is superb. Both devices are definitely keepers.

Thanks again Rob, and thanks to all who have given me advice, support, and agreed to try different things with their Hugo and 846!   

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #6,243 of 15,694
Wow, what I have seen/read so far is that Hugo can drive:
- IE's
- HD800
- Audeze
- Abyss

Hard to believe ...
I am considering to buy Hugo as semi-portable rig (source: MacBook Air, mobile player).
Would Hugo really drive my HD800, LCD2.2, (HE 560) with authority ?
I heard the HD-901 / HE-560 combi. To me, it was borderline (balance card).
The AK240 / HD800 was not acceptable to me.

Thanks for any comment !

I have 901+balanced card, ak240, and Hugo. Without exception the Hugo drives ALL my iems AND headphones better. I believe it has more to do with the DAC portion than only the amp sections, but obviously Hugo has a more power amp than the other two. It can even drive my HE6 with louder than I need and sound proper (good bass, smooth mids, natural treble). Oh and yes, I don't like my AK240 driving my headphones. It is purely for my iem use.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #6,244 of 15,694
I have 901+balanced card, ak240, and Hugo. Without exception the Hugo drives ALL my iems AND headphones better. I believe it has more to do with the DAC portion than only the amp sections, but obviously Hugo has a more power amp than the other two. It can even drive my HE6 with louder than I need and sound proper (good bass, smooth mids, natural treble).

But can it core A apple. ?? It does not play the he 6 well at all. However it does play anything else I own fine.

Al

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #6,245 of 15,694
But can it core A apple. ?? It does not play the he 6 well at all. However it does play anything else I own fine.

Al

Well of course HE6 can sound better with a lot more power with desktop rigs, but Hugo does give good volume and drive it better than hifiman's own 901+balanced card in balanced mode. At least best I have heard from any portable setup but it's moot as using HE6 with portable gears is fools gold.

And yup, Hugo smashes any apples imho... :D

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #6,246 of 15,694
Here is a link to a post containing an interesting well written comparison of some usb cables. It is page 9 of a thread; scroll down to post #206.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-cable-comparisons-14397/index9.html

(Of course, you can read through the whole thread if you want the full discussion.)

The comparison is between
the Synergistic Research Active SE USB link, the WireWorld Platinum and AudioQuest Diamond
on music from Michael Jackson, Prince, the Chicago Symphony (Mahler), Peter Gabriel, and other musical selections.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #6,247 of 15,694
Hahaha. That quote is a very old honeymooners line. Get them apples.
Al

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #6,251 of 15,694
Recently, I had the pleasure of listening to some classical recording through a pair Yamaha HS-10 speakers, Shure MDR-7506 headphones with the new Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo professional interface. Do you think the DAc in the Chord Hugo is better with giving the clarity and feeling then the dac in the Apollo Twin duo? Do you think the dac in the apollo is better then the dac in the AK-240 player? If I'm listening to classical music from a enjoying feeling but analytical feeling, Do you think it neccesary to get the chord hugo to play classial wav files of artist such as Luciano Pavarotti, Joan Sutherland. would the chord hugo show more technique then the dac in the Apollo twin duo? What you opinion?

Lastly, IF I get the Chord Hugo, would it makes since to get the meridian prime? Which sounds the best in terms of accuracy and presence and showing microscopic detail of the singer (not so much the recording)?

If wanting to hear presence that one can touch the singers voices and actually tell what technique he or she is using or maybe even visualize the amount of breath they are singing. Do you think the HD-800 headphones with the Meridian Prime and/or Chord Hugo is enough or should I opted for anouther headphone and amp.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #6,252 of 15,694
Recently, I had the pleasure of listening to some classical recording through a pair Yamaha HS-10 speakers, Shure MDR-7506 headphones with the new Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo professional interface. Do you think the DAc in the Chord Hugo is better with giving the clarity and feeling then the dac in the Apollo Twin duo? Do you think the dac in the apollo is better then the dac in the AK-240 player? If I'm listening to classical music from a enjoying feeling but analytical feeling, Do you think it neccesary to get the chord hugo to play classial wav files of artist such as Luciano Pavarotti, Joan Sutherland. would the chord hugo show more technique then the dac in the Apollo twin duo? What you opinion?

Lastly, IF I get the Chord Hugo, would it makes since to get the meridian prime? Which sounds the best in terms of accuracy and presence and showing microscopic detail of the singer (not so much the recording)?

If wanting to hear presence that one can touch the singers voices and actually tell what technique he or she is using or maybe even visualize the amount of breath they are singing. Do you think the HD-800 headphones with the Meridian Prime and/or Chord Hugo is enough or should I opted for anouther headphone and amp.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #6,254 of 15,694
I have 901+balanced card, ak240, and Hugo. Without exception the Hugo drives ALL my iems AND headphones better. I believe it has more to do with the DAC portion than only the amp sections, but obviously Hugo has a more power amp than the other two. It can even drive my HE6 with louder than I need and sound proper (good bass, smooth mids, natural treble). Oh and yes, I don't like my AK240 driving my headphones. It is purely for my iem use.

Thank you very much !
Hard to resist now ... :smirk:

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #6,255 of 15,694
  Hello People,
A quick question on cables.

I understand the 'case' for expensive (£100-ish) USB cables is that they are RF shielded so we don't have the noise floor modulation that Rob so helpfully explained a few pages ago.

However, here in my set up (Hugo - HD700) I compared between the stock USB cable in what I imagine is a noisy RF environment (2 computers, screens, charges, phones etc...) and a Toslink optical connection to my PC (some generic cable I have).

Personally I didn't hear an obvious difference, maybe the optical cable was a tiny bit clearer...?

My question is that if Toslik is impervious to RF noise (being made of plastic/glass) than no posh USB cable could top it SQ-wise...? Is that correct?

What do you think?

Thanks!

Hello People,
I think this question went lost in the thread - your thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back