Chord Hugo
Jun 23, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #5,521 of 15,694
Ted I think the one I have does dsd direct without the dop. And the higher PCM as well. It is avalible , but not as an upgrade inwas told it's a whole new board inside. Inwas wondering if it might be the reason I hear it differently. . The original only does dsd 64 the new one goes to dsd 128.
Go to the website and look.
Al

The website seems very clear on what the SE (special edition) is; it goes to 24/384k...which ipsofacto means it can handle DSD128 via DoP.  The "regular" ones go to 24/192k, so they can do DSD64 via DoP (which requires a 24/176k path).  Al, I don't understand, at all, the notion of a USB/SPDIF interface that does "direct" DSD (without DoP)??  It's SPDIF!  Moreover, I do not understand the notion of an AP1 or AP2 (all of which do at least 24/192) that doesn't do DoP for DSD64.  Can someone tell me where I am wrong here?  Why the confusion?

Jun 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #5,522 of 15,694
But does x5 really better than ak100 if we use it as source ONLY?

It was reported people get better result from coaxial than optical from the very beginning of the thread (using DAP). In fact, c4pro with its normal rca coaxial instead of 3.5mm jack was also claimed as best trabsport. Rob later chimed in and stated his preferred method is optical. Some people claimed Ak240 optical out is better than the older AK models.
I have not tried optical yet but my current favorite is ipod touch using onkyo hf app sending selective dsd recordings. It sounds less forward than coaxial and just right to my ears....unfortunately, the microusb port is not so ideal for walk around type portable use...so i am still hunting...
I conclude this little difference we spent pages to discuss about is all personal preferences.

Jun 23, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #5,523 of 15,694
The website seems very clear on what the SE (special edition) is; it goes to 24/384k...which ipsofacto means it can handle DSD128 via DoP.  The "regular" ones go to 24/192k, so they can do DSD64 via DoP (which requires a 24/176k path).  Al, I don't understand, at all, the notion of a USB/SPDIF interface that does "direct" DSD (without DoP)??  It's SPDIF!  Moreover, I do not understand the notion of an AP1 or AP2 (all of which do at least 24/192) that doesn't do DoP for DSD64.  Can someone tell me where I am wrong here?  Why the confusion?

Sorry I misspoke regarding the native and spidif. But I do remeber not being able to try dsd with the ap1/PP. it might of been a firmware update from the product or I could be confused . I will,email Phil and ask. I do get confused with all this stuff .
Al

Jun 23, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #5,524 of 15,694
Sorry I misspoke regarding the native and spidif. But I do remeber not being able to try dsd with the ap1/PP. it might of been a firmware update from the product or I could be confused . I will,email Phil and ask. I do get confused with all this stuff .
Al

No apologies.  I'm sure the AP's were out before DoP flags were standardized.  Many players have/had multiple DoP marker settings, so Philip had to follow that moving standard for awhile.  But currently...given you guys stay updated on firmware..I can't imagine an AP1 or AP2 that doesn't do DSD64 via DoP.

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #5,525 of 15,694
After almost 400 pages in this thread can we say that the 'bright sounding' comments come mostly from HD800 owners, me included? 

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #5,527 of 15,694
I dont find the hd800 bright when used with the aftermarket cables and all copper variety the brightness is not there at least in my opinion. The Hugo really is among the very best I have heard the hd800 sound and use it daily for listening now. I hear transparency but not brightness. The hd800 is my reference headphone more so than the others and I have had or still own most of them. The Hugo get it right. Recently in North Jersey I had 4 other people listen to the combination and most  if not all of them said it was better than some very expensive systems they heard. While in the past i have loved the hd800 with SET triode amplifiers the sound coming from the Hugo is just musical. Musicality is what is most important to me and the Hugo nails that  for me with the hd800.

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #5,528 of 15,694

The number crunching I guess. Likely other design matters I cannot comment on. HTC says it is the best "music" phone. Others say, look, all HTC does is make phones, nothing else, no computers or accessories to, no dishwashers or cameras. They focus on making the best, so it is said. Hey, if that is true, all I have is the sound here (and a very beautifully-made mobile), and the sound using the software 7ryder suggested is truly a class above that I've heard via other mobiles or DAPs.

If you are using the Hugo via USB audio then you are not hearing anything to do with the HTC One (M8) audio implementation at all, you are only hearing the Hugo which is being fed the USB audio stream directly via UAPP. Almost any Android with USB host will sound identical to the M8 with the Hugo in the same scenario.

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #5,529 of 15,694
I dont find the hd800 bright when used with the aftermarket cables and all copper variety the brightness is not there at least in my opinion. The Hugo really is among the very best I have heard the hd800 sound and use it daily for listening now. I hear transparency but not brightness. The hd800 is my reference headphone more so than the others and I have had or still own most of them. The Hugo get it right. Recently in North Jersey I had 4 other people listen to the combination and most  if not all of them said it was better than some very expensive systems they heard. While in the past i have loved the hd800 with SET triode amplifiers the sound coming from the Hugo is just musical. Musicality is what is most important to me and the Hugo nails that  for me with the hd800.

Glad you posted the comments.
Al

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #5,530 of 15,694
After almost 400 pages in this thread can we say that the 'bright sounding' comments come mostly from HD800 owners, me included? 

No surprise. Hd800 not best pairing with hugo without external good external amp. I would say the majority of people who say differently haven't heard what a good external amp can do. If I was using hugo as semi mobile solution, I would use different phones even though hd800 can be pretty sick phones.

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #5,532 of 15,694
I feel the same. I have tried a few amps with the Hugo and the hd800. And as I can be better it's not by much. Whatever is inside the Hugo does the hd800 well enough for me.
The only change is a little less bright with some other amps. But it kinda cuts down on the pristine sound of the Hugo when I did it.

Al

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #5,533 of 15,694

If you are using the Hugo via USB audio then you are not hearing anything to do with the HTC One (M8) audio implementation at all, you are only hearing the Hugo which is being fed the USB audio stream directly via UAPP.

That appears to be true and I am aware of it. The sonic character however, assuming there's nothing getting in the way of the data stream, is pure. Any DAP is, other than for displaying the list of songs and controlling "play" commands, just a USB stick. A DAP at $1500-2400 otherwise appears to be a waste of money.

Doubling up with a second-rate DAC (as opposed to the Hugo's first rate DAC) it is hardly a best buy. The HTC1-M8 and perhaps others too in this class, can provide 160G of SSD (32 on board, 128G card); the developer's edition of this mobile phone offers 192G, exceeding the capacity of the iPod Classic. I just bought another 32G micro XD for $30 at Radio Shack, giving me 64G total, all I need for photography and music storage, so far about 600 tunes in CD rez, and I am barely touching half of capacity.

Other advantages to this mobile phone, one has a smart phone hanging out with a DAP - Dumb A**ed Player.

It's slim, beautiful, very well made with the latest chips, but unfortunately it doesn't dispense cappuccino or pick up girls. OK, the last is possible.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #5,534 of 15,694
Nor does it play dsd .. So far the only option is a I device for portable. Is there any other devices confirmed as yet .
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back