Chord Hugo
Jun 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #5,491 of 15,694
It does seem that this fictitious thinness in the sound of Hugo is being perpetrated and fanned arround by one unscrupulous US dealer come hobby manufacturer. that has been flogging a ridiculous " fix for the problem " by adding an external powersupply that he just happens to have manufactured. 

I also find it strange certain folks would cling on to every mention of Hugo being "thinner" in comparison to other warmer/thinker source and then proclaim "it is an honest opinion that Hugo is thin sounding".... 

Being comparatively thinner than some other source is vastly different than Hugo being inherently "thin sounding" that usually have a negative connotation.  I refuse to believe certain folks are so oblivious to such simple differentiation but now it seems to make more sense.... 

popcorn.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #5,492 of 15,694

I also find it strange certain folks would cling on to every mention of Hugo being "thinner" in comparison to other warmer/thinker source and then proclaim "it is an honest opinion that Hugi is thin sounding"....

Being comparatively thinner than some other source is vastly different than Hugo being inherently thin sounding.  I refuse to believe certain folks are so oblivious to such simple differentiation but now it seems to make more sense....

popcorn.gif

Originally Posted by weisse muller

It does seem that this fictitious thinness in the sound of Hugo is being perpetrated and fanned arround by one unscrupulous US dealer come hobby manufacturer. that has been flogging a ridiculous " fix for the problem " by adding an external powersupply that he just happens to have manufactured.

Unscrupulous dealer? That is a mighty serious claim there. I hope you have proof of that, as you may be setting yourself up for an needlessly unpleasant outcome. I see no reason for ad hominen attacks based on simple product opinions.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #5,493 of 15,694
It Suits You Sir – Episode 101

Scene:- Ok-Guy walks into HiFi dealership in Timbuktu whilst listening to Hugo & ZX1 combo and is confronted immediately by Salesman…

Salesman: Hello Sir, can I help you today?

OK-Guy looks at him gormlessly whilst trying to detach himself from his IEM’s and trying to retrieve his combo from the depths his shoulder-bag.

Salesman: CAN I HELP YOU TODAY SIR?

>OK-Guy plonks his combo & IEM’s on shop-counter< and ask ‘why are you shouting at me?, I’m not deaf.’

Salesman: sorry Sir, sorry >pause< ohhh is that the new Hugo?

OK-Guy: Yes, I'm using it with my ZX1

Salesman: suits you Sir, suits you… have you tried the Hugo with a super-duper power-supply?

>Salesman puts a humongously large power-supply next to Hugo on counter<

OK-Guy: no need it’s powered by its own batteries.

Salesman: it will suit the Hugo Sir, suit it it will Sir and will suit you too Sir >pause< will suits you for sure Sir.

OK-Guy: I don’t need a power-supply as it’s got it’s own charger.

Salesman: but Sir it will suit you, look at the lovely metal casing, suit you it will Sir >pause< will suits you Sir.

OK-Guy: is it milled? >pause< like my Hugo’s casing?

>enter second Salesman who has been lingering idly behind the Naim national-grid stack<

Salesman-2: WOW! a power-supply for the Hugo, suits you Sir, suits you.

Salesman-1: I told Sir it suits him to, suits him for sure.

OK-Guy: where’s the toilets?

Salesmen together: toilets Sir, would you like a water-closset to go with your request.

OK-Guy: nah I’ll just need the power-supply as I need something to flush down the loo.

Salesmen together: power-supply suits you Sir, suits you.

>final scene< OK-Guy enters toilet carrying power-supply.

Episode Ends

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #5,494 of 15,694
It Suits You Sir – Episode 101

Scene:- Ok-Guy walks into HiFi dealership in Timbuktu whilst listening to Hugo & ZX1 combo and is confronted immediately by Salesman…

Salesman: Hello Sir, can I help you today?

OK-Guy looks at him gormlessly whilst trying to detach himself from his IEM’s and trying to retrieve his combo from the depths his shoulder-bag.

Salesman: CAN I HELP YOU TODAY SIR?

>OK-Guy plonks his combo & IEM’s on shop-counter< and ask ‘why are you shouting at me?, I’m not deaf.’

Salesman: sorry Sir, sorry >pause< ohhh is that the new Hugo?

OK-Guy: Yes, I'm using it with my ZX1

Salesman: suits you Sir, suits you… have you tried the Hugo with a super-duper power-supply?

>Salesman puts a humongously large power-supply next to Hugo on counter<

OK-Guy: no need it’s powered by its own batteries.

Salesman: it will suit the Hugo Sir, suit it it will Sir and will suit you too Sir >pause< will suits you for sure Sir.

OK-Guy: I don’t need a power-supply as it’s got it’s own charger.

Salesman: but Sir it will suit you, look at the lovely metal casing, suit you it will Sir >pause< will suits you Sir.

OK-Guy: is it milled? >pause< like my Hugo’s casing?

>enter second Salesman who has been lingering idly behind the Naim national-grid stack<

Salesman-2: WOW! a power-supply for the Hugo, suits you Sir, suits you.

Salesman-1: I told Sir it suits him to, suits him for sure.

OK-Guy: where’s the toilets?

Salesmen together: toilets Sir, would you like a water-closset to go with your request.

OK-Guy: nah I’ll just need the power-supply as I need something to flush down the loo.

Salesmen together: power-supply suits you Sir, suits you.

>final scene< OK-Guy enters toilet carrying power-supply.

Episode Ends

LOL, very clever boyo. I hope your therapist , is giving you a discount rate.. :p

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #5,496 of 15,694

I also find it strange certain folks would cling on to every mention of Hugo being "thinner" in comparison to other warmer/thinker source ...

Yes.

Not thinner. Natural. Not colored. Just the music. : )

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #5,497 of 15,694
i think a very simple way of resolving this would be a mini meet . i live in nyc my serial number is 21584 is there anyone around me with lets say a 4 digit number or less. ??
something lets say under 1000 ?? we could meet in nyc at any starr bucks or coffee shop . or the same in queens or Brooklyn .

al

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #5,498 of 15,694
It does seem that this fictitious thinness in the sound of Hugo is being perpetrated and fanned arround by one unscrupulous US dealer come hobby manufacturer. that has been flogging a ridiculous " fix for the problem " by adding an external powersupply that he just happens to have manufactured. It's a pity this is allowed by law. I'm sure he doesn't have a clue as to how the Hugo's internal power supplies really work or he would understand that his external power supply cannot make a bit of difference. Or perhaps he does as he did spend weeks pumping Reg Watts for information. So perhaps he knows full well that by throwing enough enough mud around enough of it will stick so that he can make a lot of money with his parasite powersupply sales. And he doesn't care that his lies are damaging the reputation of a great product.

While I agree that RIchard (aumacoustics) was originally confused about the signal and power path of the Hugo setup in his review (and I pointed it out on CA the day he published his first review months ago) he has since simply reverted to claiming that the SPDIF input, using the AP products and his own powr supply, is the best option.  It's his opinion, and yes he is selling his own power supply.  Gasp!  Someone selling something on the interweb.  I guess I would not call that unscrupulous nor would I give him enough credit for perpetration or fanning of any major Hugo idea.  The guy is one of several who feel the USB input is not the primary input for the Hugo, and he specifically has proposed that people listen to his own ps with Philip's AP SPDIF converter.  That he got off on quite the wrong foot with his "I am powering the Hugo this way" theory at first..well that's for sure.  But we all called bs to it and he realized what he had done (and at the time was not selling anything but the Hugo).  That chapter was over pretty quick.

I have gone on record that a good linear ps like my Hynes SR3-12 transformed the Qute series, so to think that a custom ps might improve the AP stuff going into the Hugo's SPDIF is not blasphemy or anything....

While I initially tried the inexpensive Matrix-SPDIF, a $250 converter that had great effect on the Qute HD, and less so on the EX and less again on the Hugo, I am going to borrow an AP2/PP setup (as well as revisit the Audiobyte Hydra+) to hear for myself.   My results, if worthwhile, will be part of my review (see, now I'm selling something  :)  ).

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #5,499 of 15,694

While I agree that RIchard (aumacoustics) was originally confused about the signal and power path of the Hugo setup in his review (and I pointed it out on CA the day he published his first review months ago) he has since simply reverted to claiming that the SPDIF input, using the AP products and his own powr supply, is the best option.  It's his opinion, and yes he is selling his own power supply.  Gasp!  Someone selling something on the interweb.  I guess I would not call that unscrupulous nor would I give him enough credit for perpetration or fanning of any major Hugo idea.  The guy is one of several who feel the USB input is not the primary input for the Hugo, and he specifically has proposed that people listen to his own ps with Philip's AP SPDIF converter.  That he got off on quite the wrong foot with his "I am powering the Hugo this way" theory at first..well that's for sure.  But we all called bs to it and he realized what he had done (and at the time was not selling anything but the Hugo).  That chapter was over pretty quick.

I have gone on record that a good linear ps like my Hynes SR3-12 transformed the Qute series, so to think that a custom ps might improve the AP stuff going into the Hugo's SPDIF is not blasphemy or anything....

While I initially tried the inexpensive Matrix-SPDIF, a $250 converter that had great effect on the Qute HD, and less so on the EX and less again on the Hugo, I am going to borrow an AP2/PP setup (as well as revisit the Audiobyte Hydra+) to hear for myself.   My results, if worthwhile, will be part of my review (see, now I'm selling something  :)  ).

I think the bigger issue is his unsubstantiated claim regarding the "May 2014 North American Hugo Shipment Unannounced Sonic Improvement" 

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #5,500 of 15,694

Do you know, wether the Hynes SR3-12 can be used with the Hugo, and if yes does it make a difference?

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #5,501 of 15,694

Do you know, whether the Hynes SR3-12 can be used with the Hugo, and if yes does it make a difference?

No.  As stated, the Hugo is battery powered.  That's the whole reason we cried bs to Richard's initial ps claims...coming in via spdif with clean converter power is maybe a good thing (maybe not) but is totally irrelevant to Hugo's own power, which is a battery, period (some here have toy'd with the idea of going inside and replacing it...good freaking luck with that).

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #5,502 of 15,694
The HD800s can truly rock, even in a neutral system, so long as they have a powerful and refined amplifier behind them. I'm talking all that speed and transparency combined with bass you can feel in your bones. The best results I got out of mine was from monoblock speaker amps, with the exception of system noise caused by having too much gain (the DAC was at -54db and that was LOUD). There was no artificial boost to the bass, just an immense amount of control and authority. The exact opposite of driving them from the Hugo in fact, although if the Hugo was putting out 100wpc of class A power the battery would last about 5 minutes!

I've gone off the grid now but still need to find the right amplifier and I suspect that means something with a truck battery in it. Using the HD800s on a small portable amp will just pigeonhole them as artificial, bright or 'hi-fi'. I just want one system that adapts it's nature to suit the music, rather than different systems for different genres, and I need to drive the HD800s properly to achieve that.

This makes me think I should sell my HD800 and find something easier to drive.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #5,503 of 15,694
It does seem that this fictitious thinness in the sound of Hugo is being perpetrated and fanned arround by one unscrupulous US dealer come hobby manufacturer. that has been flogging a ridiculous " fix for the problem " by adding an external powersupply that he just happens to have manufactured. It's a pity this is allowed by law. I'm sure he doesn't have a clue as to how the Hugo's internal power supplies really work or he would understand that his external power supply cannot make a bit of difference. Or perhaps he does as he did spend weeks pumping Reg Watts for information. So perhaps he knows full well that by throwing enough enough mud around enough of it will stick so that he can make a lot of money with his parasite powersupply sales. And he doesn't care that his lies are damaging the reputation of a great product.

Don't be a hater. Your post is pure non-sense.

Richard made it clear in his review that an external PSU (a TeddyPSU, which he happen to like a lot and recommend to buyers, even though he sells PSU himself) did not improve things on the Hugo. He was not sure why - at first - because it was not in agreement with the vast improvement one gets on the qute DACs.

What he is saying - now - is that the only way to bring out a better PSU in the Hugo is through the coaxial input. That statement is not false. Getting rid of the dirty PC 5V is one way to bring a better power signal inside the Hugo. Rob Watts seems to agree that a cleaner power in the input (or no PSU at all) is one way to improve the sound of the Hugo: that's why he likes to use the optical input vs. USB or Coaxial. 

Richard's solution to that is to use a DDC that allows the use of a good linear PSU. The AudioPhilleo is one such candidate. He happens to not like the PurePower PSU as much as the TeddyPSU 5V he tested the unit with. Since he is a PSU builder, he developed a PSU to be used with the AP1/2 that offers greater performance than the PP (with the TeddyPSU as a benchmark, I assume).

Unscrupulous is probably the last word that would come to my mind to describe Richard's way of doing business. He is the greatest and most honest seller I've been dealing with. He was also very responsive and helpful (patient, too: took me 7 months to finally pull the trigger). Never did he pushed me to buy the AP + PSU. If anything, he'd want you to buy the Hugo standalone and then decide if the sound suits your tastes. If not, then the AP2 + PSU is one way to bring fullness to the sound and he would offer your a good deal for it.

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #5,504 of 15,694
I don't think the Hugo sounds thin to my ear. It's a bit analytical but not dry. Very musical.

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #5,505 of 15,694
Don't be a hater. Your post is pure non-sense.

Richard made it clear in his review that an external PSU (a TeddyPSU, which he happen to like a lot and recommend to buyers, even though he sells PSU himself) did not improve things on the Hugo. He was not sure why - at first - because it was not in agreement with the vast improvement one gets on the qute DACs.

What he is saying - now - is that the only way to bring out a better PSU in the Hugo is through the coaxial input. That statement is not false. Getting rid of the dirty PC 5V is one way to bring a better power signal inside the Hugo. Rob Watts seems to agree that a cleaner power in the input (or no PSU at all) is one way to improve the sound of the Hugo: that's why he likes to use the optical input vs. USB or Coaxial. 

Richard's solution to that is to use a DDC that allows the use of a good linear PSU. The AudioPhilleo is one such candidate. He happens to not like the PurePower PSU as much as the TeddyPSU 5V he tested the unit with. Since he is a PSU builder, he developed a PSU to be used with the AP1/2 that offers greater performance than the PP (with the TeddyPSU as a benchmark, I assume).

Unscrupulous is probably the last word that would come to my mind to describe Richard's way of doing business. He is the greatest and most honest seller I've been dealing with. He was also very responsive and helpful (patient, too: took me 7 months to finally pull the trigger). Never did he pushed me to buy the AP + PSU. If anything, he'd want you to buy the Hugo standalone and then decide if the sound suits your tastes. If not, then the AP2 + PSU is one way to bring fullness to the sound and he would offer your a good deal for it.

I actually did not mention any one, but hey if the cap fits perhaps he should where it.
Okay as your asking. What I found unscrupulous was, for him to solicit information by pretence and subterfuge from Chords contracted consultant about a Chord electronics product without any reference to Chord for his own business purposes of piggybacking a product on to Hugo sales is that not unscrupulous? Well I'm truly sorry but, it seems that way to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back