Chord Hugo
Jun 23, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #5,461 of 15,694
bump.

question.
my motherboard(z77 sabertooth) has a toslink optical output, i've disabled this option in replace for USB dac's in the past, as we all know onboard sound is utter rubbish.
i've recently enabled onboard audio again so that i can use the toslink option, all this talk of optical being better, i thought i'd give it a try.

now i'm not sure, is the signal passed directly to the hugo, or does it run though onboard sound first > hugo?

also does the hugo not remember which source input was chosen when you turn it off?

It will go thru the sound card for digital (flac) to digital (spdif) encoding and send out via toslink.
The actual Digial to analog is done in Hugo.
HUGO has no memory and remembers nothing

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #5,462 of 15,694

Just looked on website.  Can't find the Ref1.  Is it the same as the 1plus2?  Btw, no prices on website.  Any idea on cost?

You may PM Gavin and his nickname is...

spkrs01

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #5,466 of 15,694
I know this is what have read. But the sound is that of the sabre to me meaning that same kind of sound signature. .
Al

Al any comment from you on the Hugo Vs the Master 7?

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #5,467 of 15,694
I would just like to know if it is true that they made a power supply change.

Rob,

Can you confirm this?

Only what I read. Ted b mentioned here that there was a change in the USB in think. You should read it , but he did not say anything about the sound.
Who knows but one way to know is some pics of the insides and serial numbers . This would help. But in the end let's enjoy the device but if there is something I can do to improve I would think about it . The AP2 has me thinking something is odd with his mod as for me it made it worse .
Al

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #5,468 of 15,694
To me Sabre and Cirrus sound quite different. Contrary to reports here, Sabre does -not- sound thin if it's implemented properly. Sabres are notorious to be difficult to design around and if not done well I can see why readers would say they sound "thin" but then they're focused on the DAC rather than the implementation around it.

Good morning. I totally agree with you. as the HDP r10 is sabre I did find it nicer than my ak120 . When I had the ak240 I already had the Hugo and do a comparison . It could be this gave me that sound type recall. As the Hugo is way different . But the ak240 has a simaler sound as the ak120 had. Neither was bad but I like the Hugo for better. But the ak series has the GUI and overall works fantastic as a DAP. it could be my age at a no compromise point in my life having it's say. As the I keep wondering why not keep the ak240 and be done. In the end I have two devices and wire in my back pack . But a smile on my face .
Thanks for all,you help in this hobby
al

Look here.

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #5,469 of 15,694
I think the Hugo has exposed a need - for a truly portable, high end closed full size headphone.  Not bulky like LCD XC, but resolving enough to take advantage of the Hugo on the go.  Can it be done?

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #5,470 of 15,694
Al any comment from you on the Hugo Vs the Master 7?

Totally diffent anImals. The Hugo is a gazel where the M7 is leopard. They both are fast but the gazel has more suppleness . If you go from one to the other the sounds are so different it's tough to say what is better. But they are both very pleasei no to the ears . The M7 is much thicker and warmer . The Hugo is closer to the music but sounds thin.
They both are very nice . Ultra details goes to Hugo. But ultra rich presentation goes to M7. The M7,has a sound that does not cause fatigue but neither does the Hugo . Hope this helps
Al

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #5,472 of 15,694
Totally diffent anImals. The Hugo is a gazel where the M7 is leopard. They both are fast but the gazel has more suppleness . If you go from one to the other the sounds are so different it's tough to say what is better. But they are both very pleasei no to the ears . The M7 is much thicker and warmer . The Hugo is closer to the music but sounds thin.
They both are very nice . Ultra details goes to Hugo. But ultra rich presentation goes to M7. The M7,has a sound that does not cause fatigue but neither does the Hugo . Hope this helps
Al

Al, if we use headphone analogy, Hugo is HD800 and Master 7 is LCD3?

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #5,473 of 15,694
Yes your on to me. Lmao.
I am trying to use corolations in the hope it will increase understanding.
It appears I stink in this too. Thanks for pointing it out.
If patience is a virtue then its the main course when reading my posts

How was that. :sunglasses::sunglasses:
Al

Jun 23, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #5,474 of 15,694

ES Sabre chips come to mind... Many supposedly high-end products use those chips, which have plenty of detail, but are dull, sound digital and lifeless. For instance Resonessence Invicta is really expensive (GBP 4500), with lots of features but I'm sure Hugo is better. I have not heard one dac with a Sabre chip that sounds natural and organic.

I've found that the ES9018 makes singers sound "younger" (not my choice of word, but I agree with it). Poor implementations make the music sound flat and dull. Good ones are simply good, but somewhat "hi-fi" in sound. The Invicta was the best I've heard, but I'd still rather listen with the Hugo or M7.
Curranwong said AP1/PP sounds the best but Al you said OR5 makes no difference....so I am confused.....

Do not be. And I said it did not help it made it worse. when I have a chance I will,do them both again. Sorry i do trust currawang . But when I did it
I felt it took the shine off meaning the anolog sound it has. It also sounded like it turned the pitch up even more . So i was not happy.
The AP1/PP made my new B7 lampi sound pitched high as well and the offramp made it darker. And my new ps audio DS was not helped either they both had odd effects
And made them worse off. I will,try it again and post I promise .
Al

It is weird, as I don't find the AP1/PP makes the Hugo sound brighter at all, but the opposite if anything. Maybe it is just my set-up. I have my AP1/PP plugged in directly with adaptors but no cable. Also, the USB signal doesn't pass through the Pure Power first. My Oyaide cable goes directly from my MacBook Air to the AP1.

So it does sound bright and thin. I TOLD you guys I had a credible source earlier telling me the Chord QuteHD w/ External PSU sounded better to him.

Not to me it doesn't. How I have it running it sounds more like my very organic and "darker" Master 7. I think it is somewhat "forward" like a SET amp, but given how lacking in harshness the treble is, I can't imagine calling it "bright". Maybe vocals sound younger like they do in Sabre DACs (though in other ways they are different).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back