Chord Hugo
Jun 23, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #5,538 of 15,694
Goodness me CHG, that must sound heavenly... Great setup

In fact, my favorite portable transport is ipod touch usb out. With hm-901, I can choose to listen to the hm-901 only for convenience and still get very good sound quality.. with ipod touch, i prefer not to.
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #5,539 of 15,694

In fact, my favorite portable transport is ipod touch usb out. With hm-901, I can choose to listen to the hm-901 only for convenience and still get very good sound quality.. with ipod touch, i prefer not to.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info, when I get the Hugo (like very soon) I plan to use the C4 pro as my source...should be interesting

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #5,540 of 15,694
Folks were right. The chord sarum tuned Aray interconnect would not fit the chord Hugo. So...I did a cable shoot out using the chord sarum against my reference cables (audience au24se and Jena Labs). The phrase that kept coming to mind was "it fills in the empty space". Like when i am the eye doctor and they use the machine that tests different lenses the chord sarum added more definition and filled in the entire sound stage. As if information was previously missing. Like a puzzle with just a few pieces missing the sarum filled out the entire picture. And added to harmonic rightness. Piano and high hat sounded like piano and high hat. Filled I the empty spaces, removed a thin veil, and added some harmonic rightness. One cable.

So I used the sarum as IC between spiral groove and air tight ate-1 and ATC-2. One single cable has elevated that system ABOVE what I was getting from my arc ref 40 and arc ref 2se relative to space, timing, musical enjoyment. One cable. I love my Audience cabling but there sure is synergy with this Chord Sarum Tuned Aray. Will listen more so I am not falling prey to initial "wow" effect type component.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #5,541 of 15,694
Bad news. The mini usb to usb cable from audioquest does not fit the hugo. The plastic housing is too wide. Didn't have time, but I guess some trimming might get it to work since the mini usb to usb b adapter required the same.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #5,543 of 15,694
Great - went to the pub, came back and another eight pages had been added to this thread - fortunately a quick scan of those pages tells me I've missed nothing  :wink:

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #5,545 of 15,694
  I dont find the hd800 bright when used with the aftermarket cables and all copper variety the brightness is not there at least in my opinion. The Hugo really is among the very best I have heard the hd800 sound and use it daily for listening now. I hear transparency but not brightness. The hd800 is my reference headphone more so than the others and I have had or still own most of them. The Hugo get it right. Recently in North Jersey I had 4 other people listen to the combination and most  if not all of them said it was better than some very expensive systems they heard. While in the past i have loved the hd800 with SET triode amplifiers the sound coming from the Hugo is just musical. Musicality is what is most important to me and the Hugo nails that  for me with the hd800.

Well said, sir, and I keep coming back to the glossary definition of 'bright':

Bright - A sound that emphasizes the upper midrange/lower treble. Harmonics are strong relative to fundamentals.

The HD800 has the best treble response of any headphone or speaker I've heard - admittedly a smaller selection than several in this thread, but I can only go on my own experience. Those who shy away from that are - IMO - depriving themselves of some truly wonderful sonic moments. The sole caveat I would put on that is the possibility that 20-something ears may be more sensitive to 'brightness' than I am at 55, but that's showbiz  :wink:

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #5,547 of 15,694

Well said, sir, and I keep coming back to the glossary definition of 'bright':

Bright - A sound that emphasizes the upper midrange/lower treble. Harmonics are strong relative to fundamentals.

The HD800 has the best treble response of any headphone or speaker I've heard - admittedly a smaller selection than several in this thread, but I can only go on my own experience. Those who shy away from that are - IMO - depriving themselves of some truly wonderful sonic moments. The sole caveat I would put on that is the possibility that 20-something ears may be more sensitive to 'brightness' than I am at 55, but that's showbiz  :wink:

Thank You. I have noticed in the past some people  sometimes confuse transparency with bright. I hear the hd800 as an excellent clear and precise transducer. it can be analytical which as a reviewer is sometimes what  I need for proper recording and equipment evaluation.

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #5,548 of 15,694
There might be a slight hint of a hot spot in the upper region but the HD800 are not bright overall. Thinking that is a possible trapdoor to fall into when you encounter the class-leading transient response.

Ultimately the HD800 may be perceived to be more like a tool and a production concept. Be mindful of source pairing otherwise why persist if you are picking these things out.

Disclaimer: have only demoed stock HD800 on Senn's own dac/amp

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #5,550 of 15,694
There might be a slight hint of a hot spot in the upper region but the HD800 are not bright overall. Thinking that is a possible trapdoor to fall into when you encounter the class-leading transient response.

Ultimately the HD800 may be perceived to be more like a tool and a production concept. Be mindful of source pairing otherwise why persist if you are picking these things out.

Disclaimer: have only demoed stock HD800 on Senn's own dac/amp

No idea what they sound like with the Senn amp, but the Hugo - contrary to some of the earlier posts in this thread - isnt a 'bright' source IMO. If you feed it a bright recording, that's precisely what you'll get - Chinese Opera, for example, isnt going to magically lose those outrageous highs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back