Chord Hugo
Jun 23, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #5,476 of 15,694
I would just like to know if it is true that they made a power supply change.

Rob,

Can you confirm this?
It does seem that this fictitious thinness in the sound of Hugo is being perpetrated and fanned arround by one unscrupulous US dealer come hobby manufacturer. that has been flogging a ridiculous " fix for the problem " by adding an external powersupply that he just happens to have manufactured. It's a pity this is allowed by law. I'm sure he doesn't have a clue as to how the Hugo's internal power supplies really work or he would understand that his external power supply cannot make a bit of difference. Or perhaps he does as he did spend weeks pumping Reg Watts for information. So perhaps he knows full well that by throwing enough enough mud around enough of it will stick so that he can make a lot of money with his parasite powersupply sales. And he doesn't care that his lies are damaging the reputation of a great product.

Jun 23, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #5,477 of 15,694
It does seem that this fictitious thinness in the sound of Hugo is being perpetrated and fanned arround by one unscrupulous US dealer come hobby manufacturer. that has been flogging a ridiculous " fix for the problem " by adding an external powersupply that he just happens to have manufactured. It's a pity this is allowed by law. I'm sure he doesn't have a clue as to how the Hugo's internal power supplies really work or he would understand that his external power supply cannot make a bit of difference. Or perhaps he does as he did spend weeks pumping Reg Watts for information. So perhaps he knows full well that by throwing enough enough mud around enough of it will stick so that he can make a lot of money with his parasite powersupply sales. And he doesn't care that his lies are damaging the reputation of a great product.

I would also have to agree with your observation of this power supply BS. I went to the web site and read up on his product. I may not be as technically astute as other people here, but I can see that this guy is trying to cash in, on the coattails of someone else's hardwork. IMO

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #5,478 of 15,694
I feel the same. It's why I asked about it
I do not feel there us any issues with the Hugo in sound.
It's just stunning. My only issue with sound is people putting such a high praise as it's the best
Or unrealistic comparisons. Now maybe it's my age kicking in not sure.
But given it's price and mobility it's fantastic in my book.
Another point to be made is some dacs like the M7 are just so different and have a much thicker note in presentation.
Even the bass is so much more it makes the Hugo seem dare I say thin. Well the Hugo is anything but thin
Al

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #5,479 of 15,694
  you need to get USB Audio Recorder PRO from the Android Store.  that should solve it.

First and foremost I want to thank all of you who replied to my inquiry, Crashem and others, for the solutions for running an Android into the Hugo. Finally I wound up using a tip from 7ryder, however with a twist.

I purchased USB Audio Player PRO from apparently the same software designer as the recording app. A few glitches initially during set up, but so far so good. Using the short white micro to micro adapter Chord included in the package.

The company offers a 20 min trial version of this software, so you guys with Androids, try it, you may like it. It has a good UI too. Remember to reset the security in your settings after downloading the free trial, for you need to disable for the download.

A FEW COMMENTS about my impressions for iPhone v Android's v DAP's playback quality.

1. There are no differences I can determine via the software. What do I know?
2. I can only relate the sonic impressions specifically to the hardware: iPhone 4, 5 and HTC1 and some other DAPs I heard, and this is it:
I am almost sure, and I welcome those experienced with running the tests or disagreements, that the commercial DAPs costing sometimes thousands are not better sounding driving external DACs such as the HUGO, than what is possible with cell phones and the better software available from the best APP designers. In fact I believe the very opposite: open solutions via the APP or Android stores, can provide better sounding solutions.

At least that has been my experience with with the new HTC1-M8 that has been receiving such glowing comments from Boy Genius, Forbes and the Wall Street Journal among others. Genius called it the best mobile phone ever made. It may be so, I don't know yet. I do know it has the latest and best processors and radio and so what does it all have to do with the music?

The number crunching I guess. Likely other design matters I cannot comment on. HTC says it is the best "music" phone. Others say, look, all HTC does is make phones, nothing else, no computers or accessories to, no dishwashers or cameras. They focus on making the best, so it is said. Hey, if that is true, all I have is the sound here (and a very beautifully-made mobile), and the sound using the software 7ryder suggested is truly a class above that I've heard via other mobiles or DAPs.

I enabled the first crossfeed setting on the Hugo - just right to my ears.

No, the system cannot be quite as good as my iMac with Fidelia + FHX, but it got the closest to it I've heard.

Again, thanks to all.

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #5,481 of 15,694

It is weird, as I don't find the AP1/PP makes the Hugo sound brighter at all, but the opposite if anything. Maybe it is just my set-up. I have my AP1/PP plugged in directly with adaptors but no cable. Also, the USB signal doesn't pass through the Pure Power first. My Oyaide cable goes directly from my MacBook Air to the AP1.

So am I right in thinking your cables arrangement for AP1/PP is as follows:

MacBook Air > Oyaide USB > AP1 > BNC to RCA (male) adapter > Hugo 
MacBook Air > USB cable > PP > mini power cable > AP1

I assumed your AP1 is using the power from your Oyaide USB cable?

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #5,482 of 15,694
Yes it is and it's cheap also.
As the ap 1/pp is also very good. It's a lot money.
I can add this and it's not hugo related. Steve Nugent the maker of the offramp
Had batteries for the offramp
He now sells a linear psu for it. I asked him why batteries are quite
His answer is try have a much higher internal resistance and cannot keep
Up with Demands like a psu can. So in the end it could improve things.
My own plans at some point is try a linier psu with my Hugo directly and listen for improvemt But I also have a M7 as such was interested in the product
Al

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #5,484 of 15,694
Mine was with all included cables. No coax cable was used just connector
Does currawong have the DSD model ??
Al

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #5,485 of 15,694
I don't think the HD800 would ever have a 'party', 'fun' or 'bass-boosted' character without EQ in software or hardware, like an amp. It's not in the design brief. HD800 is designed to show you how bad EQ-ing sounds. Other cans are designed to rock and do the job much better.  Doesn't mean I don't love my HD800. It just means that I'm looking for some variety. 

The HD800s can truly rock, even in a neutral system, so long as they have a powerful and refined amplifier behind them. I'm talking all that speed and transparency combined with bass you can feel in your bones. The best results I got out of mine was from monoblock speaker amps, with the exception of system noise caused by having too much gain (the DAC was at -54db and that was LOUD). There was no artificial boost to the bass, just an immense amount of control and authority. The exact opposite of driving them from the Hugo in fact, although if the Hugo was putting out 100wpc of class A power the battery would last about 5 minutes!

I've gone off the grid now but still need to find the right amplifier and I suspect that means something with a truck battery in it. Using the HD800s on a small portable amp will just pigeonhole them as artificial, bright or 'hi-fi'. I just want one system that adapts it's nature to suit the music, rather than different systems for different genres, and I need to drive the HD800s properly to achieve that.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #5,486 of 15,694
Yes it is and it's cheap also.
As the ap 1/pp is also very good. It's a lot money.
I can add this and it's not hugo related. Steve Nugent the maker of the offramp
Had batteries for the offramp
He now sells a linear psu for it. I asked him why batteries are quite
His answer is try have a much higher internal resistance and cannot keep
Up with Demands like a psu can. So in the end it could improve things.
My own plans at some point is try a linier psu with my Hugo directly and listen for improvemt But I also have a M7 as such was interested in the product
Al
No it can't the charging power supply goes through two stages of advanced high frequency switching power supplies by the looks if the design these control what the batteries get from the external power supply and no external supply has any control over what the batteries deliver so this unscrupulous unnamed dealer is talking total gonads.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #5,487 of 15,694
I think yo did not understand me or me you. My point was buying his package is a audiophileo and his linear PSU as a package . The price if I understood correctly is cheaper than buying a ap2/pp. That was my point . How the hugo works inside I have no idea but I do understand he is trying to make us think it is affecting the internals of the hugo. And this I am sure it is not. .
Al

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #5,488 of 15,694
Try the hdvd600. It is exceptional with all my headphones minus the he6. It is also good with all,of my ciems. Now with the hd800 it's the best I have heard . But the hugo does a good job on its own too.
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back