Chord Hugo
Jun 19, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #5,101 of 15,694
The Hugo could replace both the DAC and the preamp in most systems, and the sound would be better for it. the volume control absolutely has a place in a 2 channel system, if you subscribe to the theory that the best preamp is no preamp. You could use a passive video switch  and feed it all the digital sources you need via coax (video is 75 ohms as well).   
Now if you still have analog sources this won't work out. I still listen to my LP's. My point is that Hugo straight into most power amps could be a pretty good way to go. Maybe Rob could get us a firmware update that would support a Bluetooth remote!

Quote:
Hykielief if I was into headphones I would buy the hugo in a heartbeat.

I kept asking about the dac this and that bcuz I am using it for strictly 2 channel home use and to me and my situation I do not want to spend extra money on amp and volume control and portability.

That is why I got into details about the dac as dac alone.

But consider I am spending another 2-3 grand on preamp and another 2 grand on amp.

So in all I was asking if the dac will hold up to a 10k 2 channel system since my setup and my belief is source comes first. Anr my amp, speakers , and preamp are all very transparent so I will be hearing the source (dac) about 60%.

Anyway, for your situation, id get the hugo in a hearbeat. 1827393 members in this thread praising the hugo cant be wrong.

Now, AL is comparing the hugo from a sound he hears or got used to from msb analog dac which is 10k alone.

Do the math. Even though hugo is considered giant killer, the msb analog dac is considered one of the best in its price point class as well..

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #5,103 of 15,694
APTX Bluetooth is limited to CD quality audio. 

Moon Audio has a special digital cable for portables which is thin. They can custom make them. They have one in the pictures for a DAP/Hugo coax combination (TS to RCA):

http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/black-dragon-75-ohm-mini-coax-digital-cable-for-the-hifiman-player.html

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #5,105 of 15,694
Bluetooth remote would still be digital. Its inevitable you would lose bits.

My suggestion of a bluetooth remote would control the system, not transmit the music...

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #5,106 of 15,694
just received my hugo, noticed the RCA are crooked, its charging now, so have yet to hear how it sounds
i also tried plugging in the supplied USB cable, it only seems to plug in half way, before the metal casing gets in the way, is this normal?

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #5,107 of 15,694
just received my hugo, noticed the RCA are crooked, its charging now, so have yet to hear how it sounds
i also tried plugging in the supplied USB cable, it only seems to plug in half way, before the metal casing gets in the way, is this normal?

That happens for me if I use certain usb cables. From what I can see, the housing of micro connector hits the shell of the hugo. Happens less often than the rca issue. However, I had to "shave" my audioquest micro to usb B adapter to make it work.

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #5,108 of 15,694
  I didn't compare to the CD's but I don't have them most of them. I have some of these on LP but I usually choose SACD over LP, mostly for the convenience factor and I enjoy the surround mixes when available.  Here are some SACD's that I listened to and enjoyed on Hugo as DSD:
Cindi Lauper 'She's So Unusual'
David Bowie 'Scary Monsters' and '...Ziggy Stardust..'
Depeche Mode Violator' 
Diana Krall 'The Look of Love'
Dusty Springfield 'Dusty in Memphis'
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong 'Ella and Louis Again'
Elton John "Madman...'
Elvis Costello ' My Aim is True'
Michael Jackson 'Thriller'
Pink Floyd 'Wish You Were Here'
Style Council 'Cafe Blue'
Rolling Stones 'Some Girls'
It's different from a 88.2/24bit flac from the same ISO. I'll leave it to others to describe. But it's worth hearing. 

I happen to have Pink Floyd 'Wish You Were Here' on both CD and DSD. So I thought I would compare both on Hugo via USB with JRiver.

I listened to 3 tracks, 1 min into each, back to back, several times over.

1. Shine on you crazy diamond (part 1)

Not much difference between tracks, couldn't say I preferred one against the other.

Score 0 - 0

2. Welcome to the machine.

Much more substantial difference - CD had much better sound stage depth. The machine noises at the beginning were more tangible and real, with better separation and focus.

Score 1 - 0 to CD.

3. Have a cigar.

Big difference, the DSD sounded slow like the tempo was affected. Checked the track time length, the CD is actually 1 second longer! Not surprised about this, perception of tempo can change markedly depending upon distortions.
CD was much more lively, with the rhythms much easier to follow. Track was more emotional and musical with CD.

Score 2 - 0 to CD.

Now these comments only apply to Hugo, if you used a different DAC you would get different results. Also it's only my personal opinion based on one recording.

But it mirrors the loss in transparency I hear when comparing DSD to DXD using the 2L test tracks. 

Rob

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #5,109 of 15,694
Absolutely right, if you trickle charge, (top-up) ithey're unlikely to go through a cycle any time soon and are likely to last a very long time!

what you mean by trickle up

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #5,110 of 15,694
How severe are all these cable fitting issues? It seems a bit off-putting at this price point to have flimsy cable connections.
And can the rca-out be used for small passive speakers (Amphion Ion), or should it be used with active speakers only?

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #5,112 of 15,694
I thought I read general reports was coax feeding into the Hugo sounded better than optical. Since both DX90 & Ak240 are used merely as transports in this case, how do the two compare?

I did prefer the coax input from the stock 901 or dx90 cables over aj240 with the hugo stock optical cable. Now with the sysconcept cable I don't feel I can tell any of them apart in a blind test. However, from a day to day usage perspective, I prefer stacking the ak240 for it larger screen.

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #5,113 of 15,694

what you mean by trickle up

The charger for the batteries has 3 modes of charging. An initial small current to pre-charge the battery when it is completely flat. Then the full on charge current. Once it gets fully charged, it will go into constant current trickle charge mode, where it feeds a small current. Once the voltage is high enough, it stops doing this.

If you keep it switched on permanently with the charger connected the trickle charge exactly matches the current being drawn from Hugo, so no net current from the battery, but you will have the benefits of battery operation which is low noise.

Rob 

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #5,114 of 15,694
Two observations:

1.Hugo sounds so good with Red Book I can't get too fussed about hi res anymore. Lucky as my whole collection is pretty much on CD/16bit

2. If someone asked me to recommend them a desktop headfi set up for under £1500, Hugo would be a no-brainer recommendation, the portability is just a massive bonus on top.

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #5,115 of 15,694
  The charger for the batteries has 3 modes of charging. An initial small current to pre-charge the battery when it is completely flat. Then the full on charge current. Once it gets fully charged, it will go into constant current trickle charge mode, where it feeds a small current. Once the voltage is high enough, it stops doing this.

If you keep it switched on permanently with the charger connected the trickle charge exactly matches the current being drawn from Hugo, so no net current from the battery, but you will have the benefits of battery operation which is low noise.

Rob 

So your recommendation is where possible use it while plugged in to charge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back