Chord Hugo
May 23, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #3,406 of 15,694

Yeah, but how does the oppo DAC sound compared to the Hugo.  I would think the Hugo wins easily.  Of course on 2 channel sound.  I think the following post sums it up.

"I could never go back to listening to any stock Blueray player anymore without Hugo. I would rather listen to a $100.00 Blueray player with the Hugo than a $1000.00  stock player:frowning2: Oppo,Marrantz )ect. minus the Hugo!............FOR SURE!
gs1000.gif
"

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, Elvis .... the Hugo still costs almost double the price of my Oppo and the latter is their TOTL Darbee model. I think you need to see what this thing can do with Blu-Ray movies before getting too carried away - 2-channel audio is lower down the Oppo's feature set. 

May 23, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #3,407 of 15,694

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, Elvis .... the Hugo still costs almost double the price of my Oppo and the latter is their TOTL Darbee model. I think you need to see what this thing can do with Blu-Ray movies before getting too carried away - 2-channel audio is lower down the Oppo's feature set. 

I get it, if your into surround sound or SACD.  Okay.  I'm just a 2 channel monger, not so much into movies.  Live music yes.  But a superior 2 channel system is king to me controlled thru a PC/Mac.

May 23, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #3,409 of 15,694
  From the manual of BDP-95 / BDP-105D

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP95/BDP-95_English_Manual_v1.2.pdf

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP105/BDP-105D_USER_MANUAL_English_v1.1.pdf

By default that's Bitstream for Coaxial/Optical Output

iaAyt.jpg

Change that to LPCM for Hugo as follows

naTDt.jpg

OK, OK :D

Just spent some time messing with different combinations - including SACD which I knew wouldnt work for obvious reasons - and I'm not convinced by the earlier comment someone made that coax was 'by far' the best SQ of the available connection options for Hugo. I would need a lot more hours with a lot more music to say which is better, but given the somewhat tenuous grip my coax cable has on the front of the Hugo I'm not really sure that I can be bothered. Toslink optical sounded OK, but its hard to beat USB when its all said and done. 

May 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #3,411 of 15,694

I agree. As a satisfied user of Oppo 103D, I can't imagine home theatre without DTS HD, much less without 7.1.

May 24, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #3,412 of 15,694
Packaging must be all over the place. My first Hugo, from the first run had a black box and limited accessories. My second, still original chassis, all the extra accessories, same black box. 

Edit: Also noticed they swapped out the power supply on the UK units. I think the original was discontinued? The new one is slightly less power at 6 watts and .5 amps. I believe the US and first UK supplies rate at 7.2W and .6 amps. Everything 12 volt. 

Not really. Looks like very very early original chassis vs the current revised chassis. I think the original box is white colour and the later ones has black box (the box for my revised chassis Hugo is black) - Phil at custom cables has posted example of that awhile back. There are more stock cables there than are on mine. My power supply is 12V 0.5A, see below:

http://www.powerpax.co.uk/power-supplies/plugtop-power-supplies/plugtop-power-supplies

What is your model number?

From what I can tell, the very first UK power supplies (PowerPax SW3511 - 7.2W/600mA). Seem to be discontinued? UK units shipping now with SW4009E (6W/500mA)

US versions ship with Volgen KTPS05 - 12006U (7.2W/600mA)

SW4009E (6W/500mA) 12V

So the only difference would be that it would charge just an intsy bit slower. Probably better for the battery, but have you noticed any battery depletion while plugged in and running full tilt?

I am not 100% sure but after playing a long time with the charger plugged in, there maybe some battery depletion. I mean when I turned off Hugo the white light indicating recharging is on, thus suggesting battery not at full charge. However I have no idea how much of the battery has been used. I guess that just means power consumption is a bit faster than recharge rate.

Mine came with a Power Pax UK, AC 100/240V, 50/60Hz, 1.5A and DC 11.0V and 1.0A and a friend of mine has the same.

He experienced that the Hugo was shutting down even while it was pluggen in. It happened after about one and a half day (36 hours) while playing high resolution continiously to burn in the Hugo. I'm not sure about the battery charge status before he started playing though.. but anyway.. it clearly indicates that the Hugo draws more power from the batteries than the battries gets from the wall while charging, as the Hugo was ok again after another charge.

May 24, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #3,414 of 15,694
May 24, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #3,415 of 15,694
What a long day, spend 3 hours going through all the various optical cables that one high end shop had, Optocoupler fits HUGO perfectly no problem at all. Nothing else did. It also handles 24192 and you can order a custom 0.6 meter version too.

Now I was interested to see whether the same cabe with the plug in 3.5 can handle the same file and sure enough it did not. So yes the my guess is AKxxx products will not work with plug in adapters at high bandwiths, you must get the cable which is built for 3.5mm to toslink termination. 

Recap:

HD800 VS HD700: HUGO does power HD800 but in no way it brings its full potential, I cannot recommend it however HD700 powered nicely from HUGO. I honestly do not get all the hate HD700 received. The pairing was so good that I wanted to get a unit for myself but couldnt get the price I wanted.

To my ears HD700 is much more musical than HD800 and fit is more comfortable.

May 24, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #3,416 of 15,694
  I am not 100% sure but after playing a long time with the charger plugged in, there maybe some battery depletion. I mean when I turned off Hugo the white light indicating recharging is on, thus suggesting battery not at full charge. However I have no idea how much of the battery has been used. I guess that just means power consumption is a bit faster than recharge rate.

Same for me. I can start with a full, plugged-in, charge LED off, leave it plugged in and listen for several hours, and the charging light will come on, but the battery indicator never changes from blue. 

Quote:
Mine came with a Power Pax UK, AC 100/240V, 50/60Hz, 1.5A and DC 11.0V and 1.0A and a friend of mine has the same.

He experienced that the Hugo was shutting down even while it was pluggen in. It happened after about one and a half day (36 hours) while playing high resolution continiously to burn in the Hugo. I'm not sure about the battery charge status before he started playing though.. but anyway.. it clearly indicates that the Hugo draws more power from the batteries than the battries gets from the wall while charging, as the Hugo was ok again after another charge.

Interesting. Due to my comment above, this was my theory. I've never run it that long in a stretch. 

And what are the specs? Amperage listed twice, both high, but no wattage. If one of those was supposed to be watts, that would be very low. 

EDIT: But visible confirmation Hugo only powers itself from battery. 

May 24, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #3,417 of 15,694
  From the manual of BDP-95 / BDP-105D

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP95/BDP-95_English_Manual_v1.2.pdf

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP105/BDP-105D_USER_MANUAL_English_v1.1.pdf

By default that's Bitstream for Coaxial/Optical Output

iaAyt.jpg

Change that to LPCM for Hugo as follows

naTDt.jpg

Thanks. Changing the setting to LPCM seems to have solved the problem!

Regarding the cable, I just realised that I've actually been using the optical cable supplied with the Hugo with my Oppo. The cheap cable I referred to is the one I'm using with my AK120 (sorry, my fault). Does anyone know whether the cable that comes with the Hugo is limited to 24/96? I've just tried to play a blu-ray disc from Neil Young's Archives set (which is supposed to be 24/192) and while it outputs sound, it's only showing the Orange/Yellow colour on the Hugo. 

May 24, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #3,418 of 15,694
my tablet also suffers from this, if i leave the power cord in, the charging can't keep up with how much the device itself consumes, it loses about 2% per hour, eventually the device will power off.

bit concerning this also happens with the hugo, any way to address this?

May 24, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #3,419 of 15,694
Why is there concern? My Hugo run the whole day without power off.  
my tablet also suffers from this, if i leave the power cord in, the charging can't keep up with how much the device itself consumes, it loses about 2% per hour, eventually the device will power off.

bit concerning this also happens with the hugo, any way to address this?

Why is there concern? My Hugo run the whole day without power off. nOtEcH said his friend's unit power off only after running 36 hours continuously. Unless you plan to not to sleep then the batteries would have time to recharge no?

May 24, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #3,420 of 15,694
Yeah, I don't see this as a practical problem at all. I'm fine with it. Charging the batteries faster probably introduces more problems. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back