Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Special Forums › Head-Fi Bloggers › Sasaki › CHORD HUGO preview report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CHORD HUGO preview report - Page 20

post #286 of 519

Unfortunately I'm not tech savvy enough to determine whether this diminutive PC can be configured to act as a music server, but for $299 it's relatively cheap, so perhaps a computer literate thread reader could take a look and comment as the form factor is good - http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tango-pc-worlds-most-powerful-pocketable-dockable-gameable-officeable-pc

 

Thanks. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornecherry View Post
 

Lots of you asking what to use as a streamer ... I'm thinking I'll try CAPS server computer to begin to ensure I get the best sound, and if that works well, then perhaps a small notebook. I just don't know of anyone who makes a small, portable streamer with full 24/192 let alone DSD that's not PCM converted. Perhaps in 6 months that will change...until then, I'm off to read up at Computer Audiophile to build a decent music server.

 

Would be nice if A&K used their new 240 as a basis to make a player-only model with digital out and no AMP/DAC...that would be ideal, but I doubt anyone will, since most people want an all-in-one. It's really up to Chord to do this: matching chassis to the Hugo, 512 GB capacity with an SD card, full native DSD, upgradable firmware and perhaps networking ability to download high res music via Bluetooth. I'm sure people would pay $1,500+ for the right device, built to Chord's high standard.

post #287 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornecherry View Post
 

Lots of you asking what to use as a streamer ... I'm thinking I'll try CAPS server computer to begin to ensure I get the best sound, and if that works well, then perhaps a small notebook. I just don't know of anyone who makes a small, portable streamer with full 24/192 let alone DSD that's not PCM converted. Perhaps in 6 months that will change...until then, I'm off to read up at Computer Audiophile to build a decent music server.

 

Would be nice if A&K used their new 240 as a basis to make a player-only model with digital out and no AMP/DAC...that would be ideal, but I doubt anyone will, since most people want an all-in-one. It's really up to Chord to do this: matching chassis to the Hugo, 512 GB capacity with an SD card, full native DSD, upgradable firmware and perhaps networking ability to download high res music via Bluetooth. I'm sure people would pay $1,500+ for the right device, built to Chord's high standard.

 

guys, I am sorry but I received bad news from CHORD when I asked them if they plan to produce a transport that will match the HUGO:

 

"... As for your request for a transport, well, that is a massive undertaking for a company like ours, the “perfect playlist” would always be subjective too!  Also, commercially, it would be a very narrow market that would want such a thing. Sadly, I don’t see us undertaking this challenge.

 

Are you aware that you can now buy apps for iPhone and Android devices ( Ampliflac & FALC player )  that allow them to play 24/192 files, they directly bypass the DAC section so effectively can be used as a transport, they also have a big screen and a large memory.

 

Colin Pratt"

 

But... may be if everyone interested write to them asking for a transport (with NO DAC NO AMP)  for the HUGO , they may change their mind ? 

post #288 of 519
.
Edited by seeteeyou - 11/4/14 at 9:14pm
post #289 of 519

 

Anyone want to know anything specific whilst I have it in front of me? :-)

post #290 of 519
Hi, I haven't been keeping up with the posts.

Is there a volume control on the hugo?

Also how is it with Bluetooth out of an iPhone 5s. Wondering if I can replace my ak120 tongue.gif.
post #291 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiyono View Post

Hi, I haven't been keeping up with the posts.

Is there a volume control on the hugo?

Also how is it with Bluetooth out of an iPhone 5s. Wondering if I can replace my ak120 tongue.gif.

 

Yes it does have its own digital volume control, handled alone by 4 DSP chips to get 0 difference at low volume!

post #292 of 519
Well, I am just curious about its sound signature, and if it is clearly a step up, or even a giant leap from any portable rigs you have heard?
post #293 of 519

Can you try streaming hi-res music from iDevices to the Hugo via USB?

post #294 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
 

 

Anyone want to know anything specific whilst I have it in front of me? :-)

 

 

Could you please tell me how it sounds with sensitive IEMs and headphones WRT the noise floor? Any hiss? I'm wondering what the gain is like on this thing.

post #295 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post
 

 

 

Could you please tell me how it sounds with sensitive IEMs and headphones WRT the noise floor? Any hiss? I'm wondering what the gain is like on this thing.


I have IE800 here if you want me to listen with those?

post #296 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekingduck View Post
 

Can you try streaming hi-res music from iDevices to the Hugo via USB?


Yes, I just listened using a CCK to the Hugo and worked very well from iPhone 5s.

post #297 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
 


I have IE800 here if you want me to listen with those?

 

Sure, that would work nicely, thanks.

post #298 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
 

 

Anyone want to know anything specific whilst I have it in front of me? :-)

 

Are those rubber bands something that came with the Hugo? seems a really clever idea and double as feet and bumpers :)

 

Also, please could you confirm:

1.) anything about gain switches - is there one? If so, what sort of gain levels are we talking about?

2.) and does the volume control control the RCA outputs? I've read conflicting answers to this.

3.) how much does it weight? I'm sure we can find numbers in grams and so on - but really how it feels in your hand? Can it be realistically portable, for example.

4.) there's mention somewhere about drivers for macs. Is a driver needed for mac osx and dsd?

5.) can you post a picture of the charger? May be the specs on the back of it? (It'd be totally awesome if I can use some of my adaptors)

 

Sorry if I'm a little pushy, just hoping I haven't asked too late and the unit is no longer with you  :)

 

Thank you in advance,

 

C

post #299 of 519

Phil W - what's the sound signature like say compared to an AK120? Particularly for rock music like DSOTM? 

post #300 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by x838nwy View Post
 

 

Are those rubber bands something that came with the Hugo? seems a really clever idea and double as feet and bumpers :)

 

Also, please could you confirm:

1.) anything about gain switches - is there one? If so, what sort of gain levels are we talking about?

2.) and does the volume control control the RCA outputs? I've read conflicting answers to this.

3.) how much does it weight? I'm sure we can find numbers in grams and so on - but really how it feels in your hand? Can it be realistically portable, for example.

4.) there's mention somewhere about drivers for macs. Is a driver needed for mac osx and dsd?

5.) can you post a picture of the charger? May be the specs on the back of it? (It'd be totally awesome if I can use some of my adaptors)

 

Sorry if I'm a little pushy, just hoping I haven't asked too late and the unit is no longer with you  :)

 

Thank you in advance,

 

C

 

 

Are those rubber bands something that came with the Hugo? seems a really clever idea and double as feet and bumpers :)

Yes these come supplied to hold a phone et al in place! Rubber feet on the bottom of the Hugo have been specifically positioned to stop a device from hitting the chassis.

1.) anything about gain switches - is there one? If so, what sort of gain levels are we talking about?

There is no gain switch on the Hugo

2.) and does the volume control control the RCA outputs? I've read conflicting answers to this.

There are two answers! If you hold the crossfade button down and turn the unit on, it outputs line level through the RCA's. turn it on normally and the volume slider controls the output level on the RCA. (If set to line level the volume can still be turned down in case you have headphones connected and need to turn it down quickly.)

3.) how much does it weight? I'm sure we can find numbers in grams and so on - but really how it feels in your hand? Can it be realistically portable, for example.

~330grams yes it is a TRULY portable unit. Not too heavy nor too big.

4.) there's mention somewhere about drivers for macs. Is a driver needed for mac osx and dsd?

Not as far as I know, MAC is driverless.

5.) can you post a picture of the charger? May be the specs on the back of it? (It'd be totally awesome if I can use some of my adaptors)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sasaki
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Special Forums › Head-Fi Bloggers › Sasaki › CHORD HUGO preview report