Chord Hugo
May 23, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #3,376 of 15,694
seeteeyou

Thanks for the cool idea. However, i discussed with a friend and he asked if the Hugo us true dual mono design to benefit from this before building custom cables...

May 23, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #3,377 of 15,694
i was told that it was they that wrote the hugely complicated software that controls the high datarate USB I believe they cooperated with Mr watts but this was a large task in itself this was organised through Chord Electronics development team,as was the project management and the precise definition of what Hugo is and what it does. I'm not diminishing Mr Watts huge input to this project, but Hugo exists because of a team of people with inputs into the design from people around the world especially Japan. It's not just one persons great idea as perhaps some of you are believing.

OK, thanks. Some further background on Chord's design approach here :

http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/Features/Hi-Fi/chord-electronics-john-franks-interview.html

May 23, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #3,378 of 15,694

for those 'looking for a home'... look no further than Chord & Noble's 'happy ears' house, we're very accommodating... enjoy.
beerchug.gif

Note: for you Londoners there's a article on the Hugo in today's Metro Newspaper, enjoy.

ps... hear us at Newport Beach next weekend.

May 23, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #3,379 of 15,694
  Thanks.

I will try to explain simply, but it is not easy. The interpolation filter is an FIR filter. This has delayed audio data. Each delayed data is multiplied by a coefficient, and all these multiplications are summed together, and the summed result is the interpolated value. Now the delayed data is held in a delay line, and is tapped into by a multiplier - hence the term taps. The coefficient is calculated by an algorithm, and in Hugo this is the WTA algorithm. This has been developed over many years, and what I am trying to do is maximize the sound quality performance, by improving the way the timing is reconstructed.  

Now if you look at the mathematics, if you want to reconstruct the original bandwidth limited perfectly (that is all the timing of transients will be perfectly reproduced) then you need an infinite number of taps for the filter. When you start reducing the number of taps, then the timing accuracy degrades, which has very important subjective consequences. Hugo has the highest tap length filter of any DAC available at any price, which as you identify, is one substantial reason for it's naturalness. With Hugo, it has a 26,368 taps. This means for every sample of CD data, there are 26,368 multiplications and additions going on. To do this, I use 16 customized parallel DSP cores, each one running at 208 MHz. So there is a lot of DSP horsepower in Hugo.  

Hi Rob,

Thank you very much for the explanation.  

English is not my first tongue.  Would you mind to explain the meaning of "is tapped" into by a multiplier.  Tap = Feed into a multiplier or what?    

May 23, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #3,380 of 15,694
Hi,

I have made up my mind and will soon be getting a Hugo. But there's a big IF here and i wonder if you hugo owners can help out :)

I have an ipod classic and i'm a little confused as to how i will hook it up to the hugo. Is a cck the only option? Will a normal 30-pin to usb-A plus a female A to micro-B work?

I may also use my iphone5s at times. Will a lightning to micro usb adaptor work?

It's all a little confusing to me, so any help is much appreciated.

Thank you!!

May 23, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #3,381 of 15,694
Hi,

I have made up my mind and will soon be getting a Hugo. But there's a big IF here and i wonder if you hugo owners can help out
smily_headphones1.gif

I have an ipod classic and i'm a little confused as to how i will hook it up to the hugo. Is a cck the only option? Will a normal 30-pin to usb-A plus a female A to micro-B work?

I may also use my iphone5s at times. Will a lightning to micro usb adaptor work?

It's all a little confusing to me, so any help is much appreciated.

Thank you!!

ipod classic will not work with any kit what so ever as HUGO is not apple certified. The only way to make ipod classic to work is to get something like DD socket 1 and use the digital out of it to feed HUGO.

Your iphone 5S will work with cck. 

May 23, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #3,386 of 15,694
@seeteeyou

Thanks for the cool idea. However, i discussed with a friend and he asked if the Hugo us true dual mono design to benefit from this before building custom cables...

Yeah... it is a good idea. However, a few tech problems. I don't know enough about the gain stage in HUGO to make assumptions, but you can't make it a balanced design unless you could get quad mono outputs. Simply separating the L/R output would be just that, separating it. Depending, there could possibly be advantages there. Especially with RF and crosstalk. BUT, and again, it depends on the output stage and how the amp is built. I don't know the configuration, but potentially loading only one channel of separate amps in the gain stage might be damaging to the unit. But it makes me think the output stage is quite advanced since I can't hear impedance changes by plugging in several phones at once. Meaning, it's not an elaborate splitter design from one massive gain stage. 

May 23, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #3,388 of 15,694
  What kind of battery does the Hugo use?  Any suggestions for optimizing its overall longevity?  Is it better to recharge at around 20-40% or deplete completely?

Opinions will be all over the place on this one. 

Plus, we don't know at what percentage the HUGO shuts itself off. All that means is that the designers thought that it could not maintain optimum/ideal performance and continue to use battery. The battery indicator lights would simply indicate percentage of usable battery left. Shutoff could be occurring at anywhere from 5-30% of actual battery depletion I would guess. 

The manual and shutoff feature built in, imply you should charge when it blinks at ya. I just do that. 

May 23, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #3,389 of 15,694
I have been using Sysconcepts for years. The 1300 fiber is the best (I tried 13,000 but the sound was not as good and it is very fragile) and they know exactly how to fit the optical cable to your application. The 1300 fiber cable can handle any of the resolutions and has been tested to transmit better than glass. I started using their product back in late 2006 after inquiring if they could make some special optical cables for my needs. From there they have gotten a good handle on all these new daps. 

My sysconcept optical connector is here. Tried it for half an hour or so. I thought the sound is richer and more full bodied. Unfortunately, it is also at the expense of some clarity.

May 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #3,390 of 15,694
Originally Posted by givemevinyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What kind of battery does the Hugo use?  Any suggestions for optimizing its overall longevity?  Is it better to recharge at around 20-40% or deplete completely?

I called Chord awhile back (re: batteries preservation) and they basically said just switch off when not in use and don't leave Hugo on top of hot equipment surfaces. Other than that you can just leave charger plugged in all the time without any worry. Also don't need to do battery discharges like in some rechargeable batteries. When the batteries are finished one could get them replaced at the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back