Chord Hugo
Nov 27, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #14,161 of 15,694
Don't mean to steer the thread in a different direction...I just picked up a 2Qute and using an ALO CDM as my amp. It sounds remarkably better the Hugo I had. From what I understand, the two DAC's are virtually identical...
Has anyone else experienced this difference between the two?

​What are you using for a streamer to the 2Qute/Hugo comparison?

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #14,163 of 15,694

Are you sure it was Russia?    Could it have been Latvia?     (Konstantin at Lavricables)

If it was Lavricable, then you should contact Konstantin and he may update your cable for you, so that it works with the latest version of iOS.

If it wasn't that cable maker, then you can find some alternative cables in post #3 of the Mojo thread.

I've listed several there, but the most popular one seems to be the PenonAudio cable (it's not the cheapest, though...)

I think it was Lavricable.  It has red sleeve.  Unfortunately, the eBay vendor's page is no longer available.  Thanks.

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #14,164 of 15,694

Are you sure it was Russia?    Could it have been Latvia?     (Konstantin at Lavricables)

If it was Lavricable, then you should contact Konstantin and he may update your cable for you, so that it works with the latest version of iOS.

If it wasn't that cable maker, then you can find some alternative cables in post #3 of the Mojo thread.

I've listed several there, but the most popular one seems to be the PenonAudio cable (it's not the cheapest, though...)

I think it was Lavricable.  It has red sleeve.  Unfortunately, the eBay vendor's page is no longer available.  Thanks.

Here is a picture of what the Lavricable CCK cable looks like:

Does that look the same as your cable?

If it does look identical, then the following, very recent, conversation, from the Mojo thread, may be of interest to you:

My Lavricables Lightning to micro-USB cable stopped working on my Chord Mojo when I upgraded to iOS 10.1.1 on my iPhone 6 Plus. I'm kinda disappointed as it was working perfectly on iOS 9.x.

The Mojo is fine. With iOS 10.1.1, I've confirmed it works fine with an official Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter plus a generic USB-A to micro-USB cable.

(I've tried rebooting the iPhone and the Mojo many times to no avail. Even when the power button on the Mojo displays in red, the Mojo is not recognized by the iPhone 6 Plus. Using the Apple cable works.)

I've sent Lavricables a Facebook message/post. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sandiway

Same iPhone version. Same Lavricables. Same iOS. Same Mojo.
All works perfectly.

Thanks for letting me know!

Looks like the electronics inside the cable died. Konstantins Lavriks asked me to send it back to Latvia...

I suggest you try contacting one of these head-fiers for further advice, and/or contacting Lavricable via Facebook (but obviously, only if your cable does look to be an identical cable made by Lavricable)

Good luck, and remember, there are lots of other cables available, many of which are conveniently listed in the iDevices section of post #3, in the Mojo thread.

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #14,165 of 15,694
I attempted a DIY on the Hugo to replace the Lipo batteries with the Uptone LPS-1.  Needless to say the LPS-1 is not sufficient in outputting enough amps to operate the Hugo.  Seems I received bad information on how much power is needed to operate the Hugo.  Obviously 1.1 amp is not enough.  So I reinstalled the LIpo batteries and am back to square one.  Without better information from Chord on power needed and maybe how to bypass the both Lipo battery inputs on the board, I will probably not attempt another LPS upgrade.  Let alone cost for an appropriate LPS unit becomes a factor. 
Good news is that for a desktop unit it will be easy to DIY new batteries in place of the current ones once that time arrives.  Regardless if they fit or not.

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #14,166 of 15,694
  I attempted a DIY on the Hugo to replace the Lipo batteries with the Uptone LPS-1.  Needless to say the LPS-1 is not sufficient in outputting enough amps to operate the Hugo.  Seems I received bad information on how much power is needed to operate the Hugo.  Obviously 1.1 amp is not enough.  So I reinstalled the LIpo batteries and am back to square one.  Without better information from Chord on power needed and maybe how to bypass the both Lipo battery inputs on the board, I will probably not attempt another LPS upgrade.  Let alone cost for an appropriate LPS unit becomes a factor. 
Good news is that for a desktop unit it will be easy to DIY new batteries in place of the current ones once that time arrives.  Regardless if they fit or not.

Why not just get a 2Qute with LPS?

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #14,167 of 15,694

Why not just get a 2Qute with LPS?

​First, I like the preamp of the Hugo, none on the 2Qute which would require a Preamp.  Secondly, Not just any LPS will do, even a LPS will leak AC current unless galvanically isolated such as the Uptone LPS-1.  Third, the 2Qute requires a 12V input, the LPS-1 doesn't output that much voltage or probably enough amps?  But you could combine two LPS-1's to achieve 12V and probably enough amps.  Gets a bit expensive around $780 for two.  Fourth, I'm not a big fan of DAC's with galvanic isolation built in for USB, often they are sub par to galvanic isolation outside the DAC like the Intona.   Also I don't like having a DAC that requires a 5Vbus.

Thus I am very pleased with the Hugo and have no intention of changing DAC's.  Using the LPS-1's with my PPA USB card/Intona and Regen has brought a much more detailed well balanced sound.  Very pleased that even after 2 1/2 years I am still goosing the Hugo for better SQ.

I still think a DIY of Hugo's power supply would be another improvement in SQ.  But I am not qualified to correctly find the place on the motherboard of the Hugo to bypass the battery inputs completely.  Would be nice to see Chord give us a schematic or even a photo to point out where to do so and some relavent figures on power input range.

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #14,168 of 15,694
Thus I am very pleased with the Hugo and have no intention of changing DAC's.  Using the LPS-1's with my PPA USB card/Intona and Regen has brought a much more detailed well balanced sound.  Very pleased that even after 2 1/2 years I am still goosing the Hugo for better SQ.

I haven't tried any impovement yet.
This is what I have in mind, can you advise the correct priorities in your opinion?
- Intona for galvanic isolation
- sotm sms200 to reduce jitter
- better shielded USB cable? I'm using a Silver Dragon, I guess it's decent right?
- anything else I forgot?

Thanks!

Long live the Hugo!!!!

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #14,169 of 15,694
There is simply nothing available for the price in the portable DAC realm today better than both Mojo and Hugo....the TT is wonderful but has competitors in its proce range...the DAVE on the other hand I believe is the best in its price class and beyond

It might sound weird but I thought the Chord Dave was priced really good also since it competes with DAC's costing alot more than the Dave.

I don't feel the need to spend $30k on a DAC with the Chord Dave.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #14,170 of 15,694
It might sound weird but I thought the Chord Dave was priced really good also since it competes with DAC's costing alot more than the Dave.

I don't feel the need to spend $30k on a DAC with the Chord Dave.
In teality (sane) a Mojo is way more than GOOD ENOUGH.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #14,171 of 15,694
I haven't tried any impovement yet.
This is what I have in mind, can you advise the correct priorities in your opinion?
- Intona for galvanic isolation
- sotm sms200 to reduce jitter
- better shielded USB cable? I'm using a Silver Dragon, I guess it's decent right?
- anything else I forgot?

Thanks!

Long live the Hugo!!!!

​HI, doraymon.

The biggest priority is galvanic isolation.  If using USB, thus probably a computer for streaming, then galvanic isolation is a must over anything else.  There are different ways to create this isolation, all involve similar costs for proper isolation.  The sotm sms200 is similar in concept to the microRendu.  One would create galvanic isolation thru wireless or Ethernet from the computer.  The third method is to use an Intona and feed the hugo directly with USB from the computer.  All require a galvanically isolated power supply like the LPS-1 to achieve optimum SQ. 
Each have their downfalls, but I find USB direct the best method for my needs.  The microRendu or sms200 have limits on software/media players compatibility.  Plus I need video HQ audio playback.  So USB (see my stream below) is my choice.  If you use one of the software media players featured by the microRendu and don't need video playback, then I would go that route over the sms200.  Note:  The microRendu has a built in Regen, so if one is inclined to go this route, use a USB adapter to output from the microRendu to the Hugo.
I'm not terrible informed on the sms200.

I find USB cables, other than built properly to impedance, to be neutral and have no effect on SQ if one has eliminated all ground loops or any other electrical noise.  Adapters are preferable when possible.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #14,173 of 15,694

Isn't the clue to the Hugo's power requirements written on the side of the batteries?

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #14,174 of 15,694
I hope 15 g for a dac is not necessary. Not that there is anything wrong with it or 30-50g.
I use premium USB cables for insurance, metaphorically speaking. AUDIOQUEST jitterbug is extremely affordable and easy to use, no power or box, it really works. Less jitter, deeper notes, good sq. course listening is everything. I only use Hugo as a portable, so not applicable. Adding k10U encore soon with dhc silver type 4 litz 8 braid, give a heads up then.

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #14,175 of 15,694
Woah this actually pairs decently with the utopias, rich and full bodied sound, loving them for whenever i wanna move around the house :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back