Chord Hugo
Nov 30, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #14,191 of 15,694

Here is a picture of what the Lavricable CCK cable looks like:

Does that look the same as your cable?

If it does look identical, then the following, very recent, conversation, from the Mojo thread, may be of interest to you:

I suggest you try contacting one of these head-fiers for further advice, and/or contacting Lavricable via Facebook (but obviously, only if your cable does look to be an identical cable made by Lavricable)

Good luck, and remember, there are lots of other cables available, many of which are conveniently listed in the iDevices section of post #3, in the Mojo thread.

Exactly the same.

Thanks for the advice.  Truly appreciate it.

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #14,193 of 15,694
Thanks guys, so where can I get a USA plug style power adapter for my Hugo? Is there a USA Chord distributor/office? If I'm to stick to their recommended companies (UK uses PowerPax - not specifically made by Hugo) then what's the model # for the USA hugo adapters?

Quote:

Rob's following remark was primarily in relation to people trying to use aftermarket PSUs with higher voltage than Hugos standard PSU, but I would still err on the side of caution, and stick to a Chord-supplied PSU, rather than risk anything going awry.

Again, not trying to be precious about Chord or Hugo, but I really would contact Chord for replacement batteries, if & when the time comes, rather than try to implement generic cells. The cells used in Chord's portable products (Hugo, Mojo) are very carefully chosen, not casually-sourced generics from the lowest bidder, and Chord will definitely support you, should a replacement ever be necessary.

I think that @Mojo ideas has posted about a few isolated Hugo users needing replacement batteries, and the out of warranty cost turned out to be $34.
So not expensive in the grand scheme of things, and arguably much safer than trying other third-party batteries. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #14,194 of 15,694
on the go Hugo.

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #14,195 of 15,694
  Thanks guys, so where can I get a USA plug style power adapter for my Hugo? Is there a USA Chord distributor/office? If I'm to stick to their recommended companies (UK uses PowerPax - not specifically made by Hugo) then what's the model # for the USA hugo adapters?

The distributor in the USA is:

Chord USA Sales - Bluebird Music Ltd
Niagara Falls
NY
United States of America
001-416-638-8207

www.bluebirdmusic.com/sections/mojo-and-hugo.html

But there are many retailers, as I'm sure you know.

Todd The Vinyl Junkie is one good example:

www.ttvjaudio.com/default.asp
Phone us at 406-285-3910
Email Todd todd@ttvjaudio.com

If, for some strange reason, you cannot obtain a genuine PSU from BlueBirdMusic or Todd The Vinyl Junkie, then please PM me and I'll chase-up with Chord UK, for you.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #14,196 of 15,694
Does anyone know if the SD USB input is async? For some reason SD sounds better to me than HD with 44.1khz materials. I am using the Tidal desktop app (app is correctly setup). 

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #14,197 of 15,694
  Does anyone know if the SD USB input is async? For some reason SD sounds better to me than HD with 44.1khz materials. I am using the Tidal desktop app (app is correctly setup). 

Rob wrote the following about Mojo - I suspect it holds true for Hugo, but if Rob stops by, I hope he will confirm or refute:

Digital transmission is based on SPDIF standard which transmits data and clock information as an encoded signal usually using PCM, that information is decoded on the Mojo into data and clock signal so it's important that the encoded information be jittered free and not degraded over short distance.

The USB transmission on the other end is a device to device transmission mechanism using an encoding scheme and handshaking mechanism, it is usually stream based so more tolerant to poorer wire as frames are transmitted and decoded from the source to the target device. The target device will reconstruct the data and clock signal from the frame and then feed it to the DAC to be analog reconstructed and eventually band pass filtered to remove any residual high and low frequency signals out of the audio band.I still think you need to keep the USB cable short but it is more tolerant of longer lengths up to a limit.

To make a story short, the short USB cable is fine but an analog cable used as a digital one is just a bad idea. Again, that's just my opinion.

Just to clarify:

1. SPDIF decoding is all digital within the FPGA. The FPGA uses a digital phase lock loop (DPLL) and a tiny buffer. This re-clocks the data and eliminates the incoming jitter from the source. This system took 6 years to perfect, and means that the sound quality defects from source jitter is eliminated. How do I know that? Measurements - 2 uS of jitter has no affect whatsoever on measurements (and I can resolve noise floor at -180dB with my APX555) and sound quality tests against RAM buffer systems revealed no significant difference. You can (almost) use a piece of damp string and the source jitter will be eliminated.

2. USB is isochronous asynchronous. This means that the FPGA supplies the timing to the source, and incoming USB data is re clocked from the low jitter master clock. So again source jitter is eliminated.

So does this mean that any digital cable will do?

Sadly no. Mojo is a DAC, that means its an analogue component, and all analogue components are sensitive to RF noise and signal correlated in-band noise, so the RF character of the electrical cables can have an influence. What happens is random RF noise gets into the analogue electronics, creating intermodulation distortion with the wanted audio signal. The result of this is noise floor modulation. Now the brain is incredibly sensitive to noise floor modulation, and perceives this has a hardness to the sound - easily confused as better detail resolution as it sounds brighter. Reduce RF noise, and it will sound darker and smoother. The second source is distorted in band noise, and this mixes with the wanted signal (crosstalk source) and subtly alters the levels of small signals - this in turn degrades the perception of sound stage depth. This is another source of error for which the brain is astonishingly sensitive too. The distorted in band noise comes from the DAP, phone or PC internal electronics processing the digital data, with the maximum noise coming as the signal crosses through zero - all digital data going from all zeroes to all ones. Fortunately mobile electronics are power frugal and create less RF and signal correlated noise than PC's. Note that optical connection does not have any of these problems, and is my preferred connection. 

Does this mean that high end cables are better? Sadly not necessarily. What one needs is good RF characteristics, and some expensive cables are RF poor. Also note that if it sounds brighter its worse, as noise floor modulation is spicing up the sound (its the MSG of sound). So be careful when listening and if its brighter its superficially more impressive but in the long term musically worse. At the end of the day, its musicality only that counts, not how impressive it sounds.         

Rob

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #14,198 of 15,694
Thanks. It appears that both SD and HD operate in async mode.

Putting ferrite beads around USB cable and power helps with RF interference.

Also, toslink sounds great with Hugo. No point trying coax given no BNC connector (I suspect the RCA connector is not imp matched anyhow); I will take a slight jitter over signal reflection any day of the week.

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #14,199 of 15,694
It's been a while since I've engaged with this Hugo thread, so for those of you who may have joined whilst I've been absent, a quick reminder that Peter Hyatt started a nice thread for music that sounds decent through Mojo, and therefore, Hugo!

Mojo's Greatest Hits

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #14,200 of 15,694
Rob's following remark was primarily in relation to people trying to use aftermarket PSUs with higher voltage than Hugos standard PSU, but I would still err on the side of caution, and stick to a Chord-supplied PSU, rather than risk anything going awry.

Again, not trying to be precious about Chord or Hugo, but I really would contact Chord for replacement batteries, if & when the time comes, rather than try to implement generic cells. The cells used in Chord's portable products (Hugo, Mojo) are very carefully chosen, not casually-sourced generics from the lowest bidder, and Chord will definitely support you, should a replacement ever be necessary.
Write to us and we will send one out but quickly before the Christmas shutdown even the Chord elves have to take a break from putting our special toys together.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #14,201 of 15,694
Would you consider an AK120 II a better player solution for the Hugo compared to MacBook Pro running Audirvana+?

Same connection in both cases (optical, to avoid RFnoise) and obviously same HiRes source files.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #14,202 of 15,694
Would you consider an AK120 II a better player solution for the Hugo compared to MacBook Pro running Audirvana+?

Same connection in both cases (optical, to avoid RFnoise) and obviously same HiRes source files.

I can't speak directly about either, but Hugo by passes the dac and dac amp in both players so really it comes down to which player you prefer via which connection you prefer.

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #14,203 of 15,694
I can't speak directly about either, but Hugo by passes the dac and dac amp in both players so really it comes down to which player you prefer via which connection you prefer.

Yes of course the idea is to use the AK120II and Macbook as transport only and let Hugo do the conversion to analogue.

The question was more related to the quality of the digital signal being fed to the Hugo.

In both cases there is galvanic isolation (optical connection) but maybe the AK120II has less jitter?

Now I know what Rob Watts said about his DACs being not sensitive to jitter on the input signal but I read and watched different opinions from respected professionals.

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #14,204 of 15,694
  Yes of course the idea is to use the AK120II and Macbook as transport only and let Hugo do the conversion to analogue.

The question was more related to the quality of the digital signal being fed to the Hugo.

In both cases there is galvanic isolation (optical connection) but maybe the AK120II has less jitter?

Now I know what Rob Watts said about his DACs being not sensitive to jitter on the input signal but I read and watched different opinions from respected professionals.

Surely Rob Watts understands the inner workings and performance of the Hugo, far better than any other person on the planet, so I would give his view priority.

You mention different alternative views from anonymous respected professionals, but do not identify them, or mention what exactly the views are, or what criteria they have met in order to qualify for respect from the other readers of this thread.
Sorry to sound harsh, but given this opaque level of transparency, I will vote for the views of the designer himself.

But ultimately it is your Hugo, so you can disregard what Rob says if you want.

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #14,205 of 15,694
You mention different alternative views from anonymous respected professionals, but do not identify them, or mention what exactly the views are, or what criteria they have met in order to qualify for respect from the other readers of this thread.
Sorry to sound harsh, but given this opaque level of transparency...

The "opaque level of transparency" was intentional, as this was not the point of my question and I didn't want to get into this discussion.

I should rephrase: is in your opinion the AK120II a lower jitter source compared to a MacBook Pro?

But than it would be off topic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back