Chord Hugo
Nov 16, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #14,116 of 15,694
I'm using hd800S with GSX mk2 and TT, it seems to scale them nicely and add a little fullness to the spectrum. Meanwhile la900 goes direct to hpa8 as it's easy to drive. I beleive they are the same ohm as utopia basically, hd800S is 300 ohm I think.
However TT can be had direct easily as well but once you try GSX, it's tough to go back

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #14,117 of 15,694
Have a look at the spreadsheet that @Grumpyoldguy posted on the Mojo thread a few days ago. I think it should calculate the numbers for you, if you know all the input data.

I have it already but I thought it was good for Mojo only.
So actually if I input my headphones characteristics and set the desired Spl to a value giving me 0.3V as output voltage I'm good, right?

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #14,118 of 15,694
Yes, implementation is key, but I'm sure that without very careful and controlled listening tests one may not notice the tiny difference in jitter between sources with Rob's DACs. Personally, I don't think the difference that @doraymon is hearing is down to jitter. At least, that's my $0.02.

I'm sorry for digging this up but is it true that based on what Robb said, then for the Hugo USB is actually better than optical?

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #14,119 of 15,694
I'm sorry for digging this up but is it true that based on what Robb said, then for the Hugo USB is actually better than optical?

Apparently he prefers the optical connection with the Hugo due to it's inherent rejection of RF noise as the Hugo does not have galvanic isolation. He's observed that a RF noise makes the sound harder and brighter. While in the DAVE thread he posted that he prefers USB because it does have galvanic isolation and the slight improvement with asynchronous jitter and more resolution make USB his preference with the DAVE. At least so I gather form his posts. I can't speak directly for Rob though.

Here's Rob's post from early in the Hugo thread (2014) on optical with the Hugo:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/1890#post_10462437

My preference has always been optical - it's much smoother, and more natural. Generally, optical is not liked as it has more jitter than coax, but all my DAC's have been able to remove incoming source jitter. The benefits optical has is that it reduces ground induced RF noise from the source, and this is responsible for the warmer sound as noise floor modulation is reduced in the analogue stages.   

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #14,121 of 15,694

2Qute uses BNC plugs rather than RCA or 3.5mm plugs for coaxial inputs. There's a lot of BNC to RCA or to 3.5mm cables so compatibility is not an issue.

Nov 19, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #14,123 of 15,694

I would say that it depends. If USB sounds significantly brighter than optical, then optical is better. I suppose with some 3rd party products that improves the USB performance, then USB is usuable on the Chord Hugo.

Because I didn't use 3rd party products to stop computer noise getting into the DAC, I prefered the optical over USB with the Chord Hugo.

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #14,124 of 15,694
Because I didn't use 3rd party products to stop computer noise getting into the DAC, I prefered the optical over USB with the Chord Hugo.

Same here!
I bought a very good quality optical cable and I love the sound out of the Hugo without having to worry about galvanic isolation.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #14,125 of 15,694
Same here!
I bought a very good quality optical cable and I love the sound out of the Hugo without having to worry about galvanic isolation.
What music you listening to?

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #14,127 of 15,694
I'm very eclectic, but mainly Rock, Pop, EDM and sometimes Jazz and Classical.
I particularly love female singer-songwriters like Norah Jones, Amber Rubarth, Cat Power.
I can see optical beung great for female singer type of music.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #14,128 of 15,694
I can see optical beung great for female singer type of music.

​I don't even understand what this has to do with it.  If your getting a cleaner superior clocked stream via galvanic isolation USB, it's going to even sound better than optical, no contest.

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #14,130 of 15,694
  Hi

Has anyone had issues pairing the iPhone 7 with the Chord Hugo?

I cannot seem to make them work.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

My iPhone 7 and Mojo has been A-Ok...not sure about the Hugo though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back