Chord Hugo
Mar 6, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #13,231 of 15,694
  Just for those who was interested recently when I posted about the ZX cable for those using it with an external dac like I am and was after a better quality modded cable to the crappy Sony conversion cable here it is! 

I had one done with a side exit from the Sony plug and the other normal out the bottom as one was for my Dad to use with his Chord Mojo. 

Have to say I was chuffed this sorted out the horrible cable mess the Sony stock conversion cable entailed but was taken a back how much better the SQ was with this modded SPC cable and the usb cable is a really good solid fit into the Hugo with no play at all.  

The sound to the original Sony cable is night and day difference and this is without any burn in the sound is so clear and notes so precise with more spatial and less veiled listening experience with the SPC modded cable, got a good speed to it and leading notes sound so much better than before.  Just goes to show how much the Sony conversion cable really holds things back and is a bottle neck between the ZX Walkman and my Hugo.  

Have to say a big thanks to Wfanning1 for saving me on this with making this cable for me as it was driving me mad with the Sony solution to this and as well as been difficult to source one elsewhere over here in the UK at a fair price.  

Posting this in the Sony ZX1/2 & Mojo thread as well as this has really changed things logistically and sonically both at the same time so if this can help someone else like it has with me then that would be great. 

Very nice...I just dropped every cent I had on a Hugo, I'm using the Sony conversion with my ZX2/Hugo. I can only imagine what it would be like with a cable like this. The improvement is that good?

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #13,232 of 15,694
  Very nice...I just dropped every cent I had on a Hugo, I'm using the Sony conversion with my ZX2/Hugo. I can only imagine what it would be like with a cable like this. The improvement is that good?

One step at a time like I did, the Hugo is a few months worth of food that my kids had to go without to acquire this! 

I was primarily wanting a cable like this just so I didn't have to have a normal usb cable attached to the Sony conversion cable as it was a pain to use especially when I was using walking around at Canjam London and Headroom show this year. 

I knew there was a bottle neck with the sound using it like this (and guessing it would be even more with you having a ZX2) but did not realize until I got the cable and straight away it was obvious to point out the changes to the Sony stock cable.  I have only just started using it so it will settle down even more in coming days and weeks with use.  

I just can't wait to use when at another head-fi show without the risk of hooking a two part cable on something now with the way the Sony conversion cable was designed.  

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #13,233 of 15,694
Similar post on the Dave thread but I thought I should post here as well

I had just got my old Rega Planar 2 working again this week after some thirty years. I am still in early stages of testing it out with my amplifiers.

Initially, I got out my old Sansui Receiever with its phono input an unchanged Grado F1+ cartridge into my Revolver speakers and felt that thrill again of Vinyl . The consensus from those listening was that the music sounded more guttural but also clearer, but this was listening to the Final Cut by Pink Floyd and no digital side by side comparison.

I had also just bought a cheap phono preamp to put into my Valve Amplifier,& tried a new Cartridge AT 95E and then decided to compare an identical piece of music on the turntable versus through the Hugo (not Dave).

I chose Yes Progeny (modern day Yessongs) as I have both CD and LP versions. And the winner, (consensus with my daughter) was the Hugo , which I didn't expect.

There are a couple of tracks which has Steve Howe playing acoustic guitar and with the Hugo it sounded warmer and more vinylesque.

I wonder whether I need to buy a better pre-amp and cartridge to provide a fairer comparison, but to me it shows just how good the Hugo is.

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #13,234 of 15,694
If I don't use other equipment to clean up the USB signal, I should use optical? Is that what has come out of the USB vs optical discussion?

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #13,235 of 15,694
  If I don't use other equipment to clean up the USB signal, I should use optical? Is that what has come out of the USB vs optical discussion?

IMO, it is still going to come down to your personal equipment chain, and rather than just following a consensus, try an optical connection and determine with your own ears which you prefer.  I use a portable source almost exclusively, so I have no rf issues with the USB connection.

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #13,236 of 15,694

I believe the designer, Rob Watts, commented somewhere on this thread he preferred the optical input over the USB on the Hugo; however, he preferred the USB on the TT due to its galvanic isolation on the HD USB input.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #13,237 of 15,694
  anyone hear compared Hugo and Mojo?

Thinking of selling my Hugo and getting 2 mojo instead, but not sure if this is a good idea?

One Mojo for the main hi-fi rig and one for my car and office.

Any comments/advice?

I wouldn't trade my Hugo for 4 MoJos.  From my listening, it would be a definite stepdown in SQ; especially with definition of bass instruments and airyness and soundstage.  Just my opinion.  That's why I'm afraid to write the MoJo review I'm supposed to do.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #13,239 of 15,694

anyone hear compared Hugo and Mojo?

Thinking of selling my Hugo and getting 2 mojo instead, but not sure if this is a good idea?

One Mojo for the main hi-fi rig and one for my car and office.

Any comments/advice?

I wouldn't trade my Hugo for 4 MoJos.  From my listening, it would be a definite stepdown in SQ; especially with definition of bass instruments and airyness and soundstage.  Just my opinion.  That's why I'm afraid to write the MoJo review I'm supposed to do.

Be honest when reviewing. I think you just were. one can identify the market that may enjoy it.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #13,240 of 15,694

Yeah, they're kind of  a rabid bunch over there! 
biggrin.gif
  Still, you can be honest about your opinion, and emphasize the "bang for your buck" angle.  Mojo is incredibly well priced!

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #13,241 of 15,694

I believe the designer, Rob Watts, commented somewhere on this thread he preferred the optical input over the USB on the Hugo; however, he preferred the USB on the TT due to its galvanic isolation on the HD USB input.

That is correct, jwbrent, but that was yesterday, today?
For desktop,
get an Intona, then you have galvanic isolation also with the Hugo for a much lower price and all format capability playback on the HD usb.

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #13,242 of 15,694
If Itona and their elk actually do anything for non galvanized usb port dac amps, is hugo the only one you post this on.? Realize that 

For desktop,
get an Intona, then you have galvanic isolation also with the Hugo for a much lower price and all format capability playback on the HD usb.

maybe you should start an intona thread?

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #13,243 of 15,694
  If Itona and their elk actually do anything for non galvanized usb port dac amps, is hugo the only one you post this on.? Realize that 

For desktop,

maybe you should start an intona thread?

If there isn't one already, that could be a good thought.

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #13,244 of 15,694
Just check my system flow at the bottom, I have used a Hugo for the past two years as a desktop DAC/AMP.  The Regen was a step up in USB sound quality (SQ), but adding the Intona with it's galvanic isolation was a much bigger step up in SQ and complemented by the Regen battery operated.  Also any improvement in PC component power supplies or isolation can make a big difference.

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #13,245 of 15,694
Hi all Chord Hugo owners,

Just a quick question if you've got time to have a look at your unit, but does your unit make a rattling sound, like something is loose inside when the unit's moved around from side to side?

Mine's got a bit of rattling going on, like there's a small screw loose or something. I definitely didn't notice it before, however the dealer that I took it back to states that it's a normal thing, that the other Hugo's they've tried in their store have it.

They even went so far as to open it up, to separate the chipboard to investigate, stating that it's most likely the Optical port connection that's making that sound.

Number 1. I didn't feel comfortable with them doing all that. I would have preferred them to check with their Chord Rep.

Number 2. They stated with their own diagnosis that all's fine without contacting them.

Should I be worried? Maybe I'm over reacting and all Hugo's have that sound!! lol

Also I have a loose usb socket that often loses handshakes with my ios device at the slightest touch, but upon pressing play, sound starts working again.

Cheers
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back