Chord Hugo
Mar 31, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #13,261 of 15,694
  New version has the inverted USB, which apparently secured the connection to the chassis more firmly.

Oh, my USB port is not inverted. Guess I don't have the latest version.

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #13,262 of 15,694
Oh, my USB port is not inverted. Guess I don't have the latest version.
That is an inverted USB the second and final type the first units had a different connector that we had to reinforce with extra wire bands and additional solder both versions are very firmly attached to the printed circuit board

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #13,263 of 15,694
Hugo (when Powered On and connected to AC):

1. Charge Light on (white) and Battery Light on (white).
2. Volume Light (green) and Input Light (white) and Sample Rate Light (Red)… blinking.

3. When Power Switch is clicked to Off position, no lights whatsoever.
 = No audio output via headphones ports or RCA outputs.

Has my unit gone to Hugo heaven?
Were you using the powersupply that came with the Hugo?

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #13,264 of 15,694
Hi all Chord Hugo owners,

Just a quick question if you've got time to have a look at your unit, but does your unit make a rattling sound, like something is loose inside when the unit's moved around from side to side?

Mine's got a bit of rattling going on, like there's a small screw loose or something. I definitely didn't notice it before, however the dealer that I took it back to states that it's a normal thing, that the other Hugo's they've tried in their store have it.

They even went so far as to open it up, to separate the chipboard to investigate, stating that it's most likely the Optical port connection that's making that sound.

Number 1. I didn't feel comfortable with them doing all that. I would have preferred them to check with their Chord Rep.

Number 2. They stated with their own diagnosis that all's fine without contacting them.

Should I be worried? Maybe I'm over reacting and all Hugo's have that sound!! lol

Also I have a loose usb socket that often loses handshakes with my ios device at the slightest touch, but upon pressing play, sound starts working again.

Cheers
James
The rattle is usually caused by the plastic opto cover if however you remove that and it's still there occasionally small pieces of black plastic from the body of the optical receiver this has to be ground down to fit into the case and just sometime the operator misses a small piece and it comes loose after the unit ships. It will not cause any problem or harm to the Hugos functioning..... I'll be having a quiet word with production about this. Thank you for the heads up.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #13,265 of 15,694
The rattle is usually caused by the plastic opto cover if however you remove that and it's still there occasionally small pieces of black plastic from the body of the optical receiver this has to be ground down to fit into the case and just sometime the operator misses a small piece and it comes loose after the unit ships. It will not cause any problem or harm to the Hugos functioning..... I'll be having a quiet word with production about this. Thank you for the heads up.

I noticed in both my first set and the replacement set, the noise was caused by the RCA jacks too. The little red and white plastic pieces move around a little which cause that sound :)

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #13,266 of 15,694
none of the HP or IEM ports are covered, just the rca outs that you don't use when carrying. Its 6 plus. and i don't use the bottom ribbons that are available with the hugo case as to have more access to the screen, but there are bottom elastics as well.
The whole reason for the enlarge flap on the leather case was precisely for that purpose you are using it exactly as it was always intended to be used. Though At the time of the cases launch I took a lot of FLAC for its design because it had the straps and features it has it is good that so many of you are now using the case and finding it does work well for its purpose.

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #13,267 of 15,694
I have the ADEL A12's from 64 audio and have been wowed by Mojo many times, I've become addicted to the chord sound-don't think I can go back to anything else.  I feel the Mojo is a bit warm for my already very warm and slightly veiled A12's, I'm thinking of selling my mojo and using the proceeds toward a Hugo instead. 

Will I notice more treble and less of a veil from my A12's going to the Hugo from Mojo?

Does the Hugo plug and play nice with my phone (S7 Edge) like Mojo does? With Mojo I just hook it up to my phone via micro-b to micro-b otg and click OK and I'm good.

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #13,268 of 15,694
I have the ADEL A12's from 64 audio and have been wowed by Mojo many times, I've become addicted to the chord sound-don't think I can go back to anything else.  I feel the Mojo is a bit warm for my already very warm and slightly veiled A12's, I'm thinking of selling my mojo and using the proceeds toward a Hugo instead. 

Will I notice more treble and less of a veil from my A12's going to the Hugo from Mojo?

Does the Hugo plug and play nice with my phone (S7 Edge) like Mojo does? With Mojo I just hook it up to my phone via micro-b to micro-b otg and click OK and I'm good.

It doesn't remember input, have to select with tiny button each time. Slightly more open sound and less warm but you should try and demo as you may find the difference slight. You gain Bluetooth from phone of course.

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #13,269 of 15,694

It does default to the HD micro usb each startup, so if you're using that you don't have to change it every time.  The volume control is another matter, has to be adjusted before each use.  Wish I could give you a clear comparison with Mojo, but I had limited listening time with a friends Mojo.  All I can offer is that it did sound warmer than than the Hugo.  I use Hugo at home, it would be too large for me to want to carry around.

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #13,270 of 15,694
Hey Anyone...

Am I the only one to experience this??? The Sampling Rate Window went under literally...
blink.gif

Do I have to crack open the Hugo to fix??? Holla if there's an easier solution...

Medasi in advance...
L3000.gif

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #13,271 of 15,694

I too love the Chord sound. I have both and here is my take on them :

Mojo vs Hugo

* Sound - Hugo wins. Not much in it but enough to matter. Clearer, cleaner sound. More euphoric, spine tingling moments.
* Hugo is the better DAC for use in home Hifi systems
* Portability - Mojo wins
* Ease of charging on the move - mojo wins because of USB
* Phone interference - Hugo wins - zero with Hugo. When Phone on edge or GPRS , Mojo transmits this noise. Hugo never
* Ease of use - Mojo. Just connect and away you go. Don't need to select the source. Also remembers last volume.
* Cost - Mojo wins
* Better value for money - Mojo wins
* But best sound go for the Hugo.

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #13,272 of 15,694
thankfully not experienced that, good luck in fixing it, but i did have one of the allen screws drop out, though i hardly carry the hugo about....so just a call out to others to make sure they're not loosing their screws.

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #13,273 of 15,694
  Hey Anyone...

Am I the only one to experience this??? The Sampling Rate Window went under literally...
blink.gif

Do I have to crack open the Hugo to fix??? Holla if there's an easier solution...

Medasi in advance...
L3000.gif

I would definately contact Chord or my vendor first, before I opened it up.

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #13,274 of 15,694
Is anyone use the Chord Hugo for speakers? If so, do you need to use pre amplifer before a power amplifier or is it not needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back