Chord Hugo
Feb 28, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #13,216 of 15,694
Looking at the picture I see you also run the Hugo out of the left USB port of your MacBook Pro.
Do you guys know if there is any difference between left and right port in terms of SQ?
I couldn't hear any, also I wouldn't want to use the right port as it would be uncomfortable using the mouse

Im not sure which is left but the port with the on off switch is the hd port, the other sd port. Big difference and you switch between the two via the outer button toggle. The hd port enables 32 bit and up to 384 fr through your audio midi controller. Now i can tell the difference but that also depends on your quality of hp and sources. I can tell the difference between 16 and 32 bit and prefer 32 bit 384 so i usb to my HD port via my 5K iMac 

Oops now I see you are referring to the notebook left side, ignore the above

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #13,217 of 15,694
Looking at the picture I see you also run the Hugo out of the left USB port of your MacBook Pro.
Do you guys know if there is any difference between left and right port in terms of SQ?
I couldn't hear any, also I wouldn't want to use the right port as it would be uncomfortable using the mouse

Oops now I see you are referring to the notebook left side, ignore the above

Yup!

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #13,218 of 15,694

I looked into this years ago.  The MBP is a 2014 model with about the same components and fans distributed inside.
The fans is a little closer to the right side USB than it is on the left side.  This is good.
The flash card is on the left side.  This is bad.

I placed mine on the left side because of necessity of use, not because it is the optimal for sound.

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #13,219 of 15,694
anyone hear compared Hugo and Mojo?

Thinking of selling my Hugo and getting 2 mojo instead, but not sure if this is a good idea?

One Mojo for the main hi-fi rig and one for my car and office.

Any comments/advice?

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #13,220 of 15,694
anyone hear compared Hugo and Mojo?

Thinking of selling my Hugo and getting 2 mojo instead, but not sure if this is a good idea?

One Mojo for the main hi-fi rig and one for my car and office.

Any comments/advice?

Don't do it.
Buy a Mojo for car and office and keep the Hugo for home rig.
Come on how can you do without the Hugo once you tried it????

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #13,222 of 15,694

I agree. Nothing has beaten the Hugo for sound. Love that openness and transparency. Mojo is too warm sounding for me. 

I've got a Hugo and a Mojo (one of which must be sold) and both Hugo and its sibling 2Qute are, unlike Mojo, unable to play DSD 512 files. Should this limitation be a concern for 'futureproofing'? I agree that the Mojo sounds warmer than Hugo with HD650 headphones, but equally I'm not sure if Hugo justifies a £1000 premium. It's time for some blind testing. If you do decide to sell the Hugo it would be overkill to get two Mojos.

While Mojo can be used as an external DAC for a PC at home, it should be fully charged to mitigate the risk of over-heating and temporarily shutting down like an air cooled machine gun. This may become annoying if you've recently used the Mojo for portable use. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #13,223 of 15,694

That is something to think about... The Hugo is hassle free whether charged, charging or on battery.

I am not keen on DSD at all (the Hugo makes DSD irrelevant for me) and the 768 KHZ that the mojo has is of no use.

768KHZ music is not going to happen, we're lucky to get 192/24 files....
smily_headphones1.gif

Hugo makes 44.1/16 sound so good, is anything else needed?

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #13,224 of 15,694

That is something to think about... The Hugo is hassle free whether charged, charging or on battery.

I am not keen on DSD at all (the Hugo makes DSD irrelevant for me) and the 768 KHZ that the mojo has is of no use.

768KHZ music is not going to happen, we're lucky to get 192/24 files....
smily_headphones1.gif

Hugo makes 44.1/16 sound so good, is anything else needed?

Like you said, hassle free, and mine has never, ever gotten hot or even warm for that matter.  My nephew just bought a Mojo, and he loves it, but was surprised that it shut itself down after overheating (he lives in Hawaii, maybe that has something to do with it?).

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #13,225 of 15,694
Sorry for the useless post.
It's 11 pm, wife and baby are sleeping. Hidden in a corner of the living room I am listening to an epic Take Five version with Arne Domnérus at the sax.
The Hugo is eating the AIFF 24/192 signal and vomiting tons of sublime analog sound into the Edition X, and from there to my enthusiastic ears.
Extasy.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #13,226 of 15,694
It's 11 pm, wife and baby are sleeping. Hidden in a corner of the living room I am listening to an epic Take Five version with Arne Domnérus at the sax.
The Hugo is eating the AIFF 24/192 signal and vomiting tons of sublime analog sound into the Edition X, and from there to my enthusiastic ears.
Extasy.
Good man .... That why we made Hugo!

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #13,227 of 15,694
Extasy.

where is the 24-192 jazz at the pawnshop available? thanks

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #13,228 of 15,694
Mar 6, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #13,230 of 15,694
Just for those who was interested recently when I posted about the ZX cable for those using it with an external dac like I am and was after a better quality modded cable to the crappy Sony conversion cable here it is! 

I had one done with a side exit from the Sony plug and the other normal out the bottom as one was for my Dad to use with his Chord Mojo. 

Have to say I was chuffed this sorted out the horrible cable mess the Sony stock conversion cable entailed but was taken a back how much better the SQ was with this modded SPC cable and the usb cable is a really good solid fit into the Hugo with no play at all.  

The sound to the original Sony cable is night and day difference and this is without any burn in the sound is so clear and notes so precise with more spatial and less veiled listening experience with the SPC modded cable, got a good speed to it and leading notes sound so much better than before.  Just goes to show how much the Sony conversion cable really holds things back and is a bottle neck between the ZX Walkman and my Hugo.  

Have to say a big thanks to Wfanning1 for saving me on this with making this cable for me as it was driving me mad with the Sony solution to this and as well as been difficult to source one elsewhere over here in the UK at a fair price.  

Posting this in the Sony ZX1/2 & Mojo thread as well as this has really changed things logistically and sonically both at the same time so if this can help someone else like it has with me then that would be great. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back