Chord Hugo
Jan 26, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #12,871 of 15,694
From my testing i think purple are the most efficent volume level. I can hear that the sound get a little bit harsh and overly bright in White level in some high gain leveled tracks.

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #12,872 of 15,694
  I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work - looks like an interesting and useful device.

Rob

Thanks Rob, now it's confirmed to work great with Hugo already and it's such a fantastic bargain for 229 bucks plus shipping

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/which-one-buy-uptone-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-regen-or-intona-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-isolator-26815/index11.html#post506004

peabreu said:
  Just received the Intona and with a cheap usb from macmini to intona and my TotalDac D1 from intona to the Chord Hugo, no problems whatsoever and immediately the results were nothing short of amazing... anyone with an Hugo should check the Intona, you will not regret for sure!... still in disbelief in the magnitude of the effect...

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #12,874 of 15,694
From my testing i think purple are the most efficent volume level. I can hear that the sound get a little bit harsh and overly bright in White level in some high gain leveled tracks.

You might be overloading the input stage of the amp if the volume control isn't on the input (I'm not sure about the Liquid Carbon). That can cause audible distortion.  I usually set it in the green-to-blue range, which should be about right.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #12,875 of 15,694
What cables does the Chord Hugo support if I want the Chord Hugo --> Taurus MK2? Does the Chord Hugo support XLR and RCA? If so, is XLR better than RCA?

Also what should I watch out for when buying cables for the Chord Hugo? The Taurus MKII doesn't have any cables included quite surprisingly so I have to buy a cable tomorrow.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #12,876 of 15,694
The hugo has xlr connections? Thats news to me. Rca yes.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #12,877 of 15,694

I don't know if it has XLR connections. Is RCA worse than XLR by the way?

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #12,879 of 15,694
  No. Hugo has only RCA outputs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mr. Rob says that balanced design imposes double the number of components in the signal path, which means more distortion.

Ok thanks. I'll buy a RCA cable tomorrow then. I suppose a cheap $2 RCA cable should be as good as a $200 RCA cable? 
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #12,880 of 15,694

I don't know if it has XLR connections. Is RCA worse than XLR by the way?

No Hugo does not I don't know as Hugo and TT runs un balanced se, well TT has xlr connections. The advantage to xlr is secure connection and self cleaning. There are no sound benefits.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #12,881 of 15,694

No. Hugo has only RCA outputs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mr. Rob says that balanced design imposes double the number of components in the signal path, which means more distortion.

Ok thanks. I'll buy a RCA cable tomorrow then. I suppose a cheap $2 RCA cable should be as good as a $200 RCA cable? :p

This is head fi so more is always better-:) then half of posters will say the opposite. Then again I own 600$ USB cables and 1500$ hp cables so my thoughts, blow the load.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #12,882 of 15,694
No Hugo does not I don't know as Hugo and TT runs un balanced se, well TT has xlr connections. The advantage to xlr is secure connection and self cleaning. There are no sound benefits.

Too bad. But the Hugo sounds very good when compared to the Aurelic Vega based on what I heard with my own ears anyway. I suppose is Dave also unbalanced like the Hugo and Hugo TT?

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #12,883 of 15,694

Too bad. But the Hugo sounds very good when compared to the Aurelic Vega based on what I heard with my own ears anyway. I suppose is Dave also unbalanced like the Hugo and Hugo TT?

I'm guessing on Dave but rob watts does not beleive in balanced and I beleive there are no chord products that support it. To the best of my knowledge. The TT and Dave do have xlr connections.

Jan 29, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #12,884 of 15,694
I'd like to know what the best optical cable is for the Hugo.

It must...

1) fit
2) pass the highest rates the Hugo can handle.

I'm looking at the 1300 core Sysconcept one, but any others available in the UK?

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #12,885 of 15,694

A dedicated ground per channel is indeed a benefit (lower noise floor) and outputting your signal to a balanced amp that requires a balanced input to utilize the entire circuitry and power of said amp is yet another benefit. 
wink.gif
 Those XLR connections are to use your TT as a dedicated DAC and feed out a balanced signal to balanced amplifier (headphone, speaker, e-stat amp). 

I'm not saying a balanced amp is always better, cause it's not. Like most things in this world...it depends. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back