Chord Hugo
Sep 22, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #11,956 of 15,694
I found the USB hd input to be much better that either optical or coaxial, if fed by an android device in aeroplane mode thru hiby music app. this is due to the fact that and Android device in aeroplane mode is much shorter and direct path to Hugo and emits lot less or nil em waves. no need to add anything more like USB regen etc which makes the path longer. if don't believe, try yourself. I used the short usb micro micro cable supplied with Hugo. even a cheap redmi s1 Android outperforms the coaxial input.

However, if you're using the computer USB, the Regen does wonders; at least to my ears.

Sep 22, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #11,957 of 15,694

Guys,

I was going to get a very nice dap and be done but I think I'm going to go hugo + moderate/cheap dap(since the dap doesn't really matter because i'll be using a hugo).  All I really need in a dap is something that can play 24bit flac files.

My Question:
Currently I play FLAC **not ALAC** on my iphone 5 via tuneshell.  Can anyone confirm that the hugo will play FLAC files from tuneshell on the iphone 5?

Thank you!

What I say is probably going to cause some debate, but the transport that you use (in this case the dap to pair with the hugo) does actually make a difference in the sound quality, and there is a good reason for this. Coaxial and optical inputs are NOT asynchronus inputs, and as such, do not rely on the internal clock of the outboard dac. In this case, the clock that is used would be that of the transport, and in this case the dap. As such, different teansports would sound different. I'm not going to get into which one sounds better and whether or not its worth paying, but it does make a difference. Worth it or not that's up to you
smily_headphones1.gif

It's the very reason why people use the audiophileo, the high quality clock in the audophileo is supposedly better than the internal clock of the hugo, thus improving the sound quality over USB.

Similarly, since the iphone connects to the Hugo via thr SD USB port, I believe that it is probably going to funtion as a standard asynchronus USB DAC, and would use the internal clock of the Hugo. Thus, I don't think that using the coaxial or optical inputs would result in an proved sound quality over the USB input unless the transport that you are using has a superior clock over that of the Hugo's.

I think someone on this thread stated he heard a difference between the FiiO X5I and II's coax out.
Some also say that you're bypassing everything related to how your DAP sounds when going through coax or optical.  But I can't help wondering about the various manufacturers' implementation of the output.

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #11,958 of 15,694
...that means that there's no need for an amplification stage because the FPGA can inherently handle larger current output without too much deterioration of the signal as in most dac chips?

It has a lot of output power and a very low output impedance (0.075 ohms), so it is in fact the best possible «headphone amp» you can get: almost zero harmonic and intermodulation distortion, extremely linear frequency response with virtually unlimited bandwidth, infinite S/N ratio  – in other words: perfectly neutral and accurate. No buyable amp is capable of that. And it comes for free!

Now there are people who refuse to take advantage of this unique feature, somehow they feel the urge to add an amp to the system. Because adding an amp to a DAC is standard and makes the system look more complete or valuable. Or to color the signal to their liking or to compensate for their headphones' sonic balance.

I don't deny that you can make a headphone sound more pleasing by doing so, but you can't make it more accurate. If you demand high-end sound quality and are ready to invest thousands of $ for your headphone system for that purpose, it would be absurd to castrate your gear just to do the «usual thing». If you feel the need to change the sonic balance (which is absolutely understandable, as no headphone has a flat frequency response), don't introduce such a bunch of analogue electronics! It will only corrupt the signal. Use a software equalizer instead! Learn how to use it and get used to it! I'm sure you will get advice if you need some – like when you're seeking advice for an amp. Note that a good equalizer is much more powerful than any amp (when it comes to taylor the sound to your ears)!

Sep 22, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #11,959 of 15,694
1. So how does a plain old computer, Windows or Mac, rate as a transport, used via USB or optical? 
2. How  (if possible) can this be improved?
3. Does it matter if the music is stored on a drive in the computer or an external drive?
4. I assume solid state drives are better.
5. Are some drives better for music storage?

Me: External solid state drives  --USB---> Windows(10) desktop   --USB--> Hugo.
(Tidal and Jriver of ripped CDs for content. For some reason, Tidal seems to sound better than my stored files, even better than Hires files.)
Thanks

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #11,960 of 15,694
I found the USB hd input to be much better that either optical or coaxial, if fed by an android device in aeroplane mode thru hiby music app. this is due to the fact that and Android device in aeroplane mode is much shorter and direct path to Hugo and emits lot less or nil em waves. no need to add anything more like USB regen etc which makes the path longer. if don't believe, try yourself. I used the short usb micro micro cable supplied with Hugo. even a cheap redmi s1 Android outperforms the coaxial input.

Hadn't even noticed that Hugo came with this short usb micro - micro cable
biggrin.gif

Will check it soon from my Note 3 to compare it with coaxial from DX90 / optical from P1=> thanks!

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #11,961 of 15,694

I have to disagree with you. I don't think the Hugo sounds it's best via HD-USB, 
The issue is that the Hugo is really sensitive to the quality of the  input signal. Even more so via the USB input since a lot of "noise" is coming from a PC.
Jitter doesn't seem to be the problem [According to Mr. Watts].

Other than that, the Hugo really should sound similar on all inputs as they all use the same "machine" to render the output.

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #11,962 of 15,694

I have to disagree with you. I don't think the Hugo sounds it's best via HD-USB, 
The issue is that the Hugo is really sensitive to the quality of the  input signal. Even more so via the USB input since a lot of "noise" is coming from a PC.
Jitter doesn't seem to be the problem [According to Mr. Watts].

Other than that, the Hugo really should sound similar on all inputs as they all use the same "machine" to render the output.

I would be inclined to feel the same. I felt that there were very slight differences between Android>Hugo & Windows>Hugo. It is every so slight though, that it doesn't affect my listening nor enjoyment in anyway. Perhaps something like the iUSB or Schiit Wyrd may help. I can't say coz I don't have them.

I can't say much for USB vs Coaxial, but as for USB vs Toslink, IIRC it all depends on your source's internal clock, as I think the signal is clocked in the transport before decoding in the DAC (Hugo). As such, a Transport with femto clocks vs TCXO will sound different.

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #11,964 of 15,694
However there seem to be a consensus that computer USB sounds worse than optical because Hugo's lack of galvanic isolation allows electrical nterferences to pollute the audio signal. Does this change your last claim?

there are good reasons why the Hugo does not have 'galvanic isolation', please refer to post no 11964 on the page link below, hth.

link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/11910

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #11,965 of 15,694
I have tried with pc too. in my previous post is have specifically said about and Android device not a pc. Android as transport in aeroplane mode is superior to any transport be it pc, coaxial or optical. even some reputed website reviewer mentioned the fact that an android via hd usb in aeroplane mode is even better than far more expensive transports like ak 240 etc. I think this is the real beauty of Hugo. i remember Rob watts himself posted graphs of jitter measurements and if I remember correctly hd usb input was best. even Rob was surprised that optical input which he though was best was not the best jitter. difference was very very marginal though. an android via an apps like hiby music or uapp is the most straight, direct and shortest path to Hugo which bypasses all kind of circuitery or drivers which even pc can't do. in pc the path from internal circuitery to USB out is longer and even the physical cord is longer. but with Android device a very small supplied white micro to micro cord can be used. IMHO even the iPhone owner should try an android transport with such apps like hiby music or uapp. a compatible Android instantly recognizes the Hugo. so far I am very happy with an android as transport with out any USB cleaner or regen etc.

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #11,966 of 15,694
I have tried with pc too. in my previous post is have specifically said about and Android device not a pc. .....

Even the Andriod Device is a computer at heart and jitter never was a problem for the Hugo, regardless which input is being used.
But I am glad you found a solution for yourself that your are happy with.

I don't think the REGEN is the answer to all prayers, just looking at the crappy Wall-Wart power supply it comes with ... 
YMMV

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #11,967 of 15,694
Guys,

Am I correct to say that it really doesn't matter what you use to feed the Hugo so long as it meets your requirements for file capability(24/192 & DSD, etc)?  I say this because the hugo is going to hugo-ize it anyway.  So to get he most bang for the buck, wouldn't it be best to by a middle of the road player like a fio or something and use that to feed the hugo?

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #11,968 of 15,694

It absolutely matters what your digital transport is. Everything will sound good with the Hugo, but the difference between a dedicated hi-fi transport, such as the Melco N1A/Z or Aurender N100H, and an iPhone is night and day. For portable set-ups, I use a ZX2 walkman and it sounds much better than the iPhone 6 Plus I used before it. The AK380 is probably even better still, but I haven't heard it. Lots of people will say it doesn't make sense in terms of the physics, but in my opinion there is a clear subjective difference.

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #11,969 of 15,694

It absolutely matters what your digital transport is. Everything will sound good with the Hugo, but the difference between a dedicated hi-fi transport, such as the Melco N1A/Z or Aurender N100H, and an iPhone is night and day. For portable set-ups, I use a ZX2 walkman and it sounds much better than the iPhone 6 Plus I used before it. The AK380 is probably even better still, but I haven't heard it. Lots of people will say it doesn't make sense in terms of the physics, but in my opinion there is a clear subjective difference.

P.S. It does depend on your headphones/speakers. If they are a limiting factor, the transport effect won't be noticeable.

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #11,970 of 15,694
Android as transport in aeroplane mode is superior to any transport be it pc, coaxial or optical. even some reputed website reviewer mentioned the fact that an android via hd usb in aeroplane mode is even better than far more expensive transports like ak 240 etc.

So this implies my ancient (3 year old) Sony Tablet S that runs Android would be a good transport for my Hugo? I guess I could try and run Tidal on it. (I barely use this thing anymore because I thought it was obsolete.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back