Chord Hugo
Sep 23, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #11,971 of 15,694
  So this implies my ancient (3 year old) Sony Tablet S that runs Android would be a good transport for my Hugo? I guess I could try and run Tidal on it. (I barely use this thing anymore because I thought it was obsolete.)

I'll raise your obsolete with a ZX2 running Sony's ancient Sonicstage with Atrac... sounds sublime feeding the Hugo via the dock.

Tannoy DC-Golds anyone?...
wink_face.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #11,974 of 15,694
It absolutely matters what your digital transport is. Everything will sound good with the Hugo, but the difference between a dedicated hi-fi transport, such as the Melco N1A/Z or Aurender N100H, and an iPhone is night and day. For portable set-ups, I use a ZX2 walkman and it sounds much better than the iPhone 6 Plus I used before it. The AK380 is probably even better still, but I haven't heard it. Lots of people will say it doesn't make sense in terms of the physics, but in my opinion there is a clear subjective difference.

Agree with the above. Hugo is transport sensitive and the sound quality differences among transports being used is large enough via my ATC SCM40 v2 speaker.

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #11,975 of 15,694

It absolutely matters what your digital transport is. Everything will sound good with the Hugo, but the difference between a dedicated hi-fi transport, such as the Melco N1A/Z or Aurender N100H, and an iPhone is night and day. For portable set-ups, I use a ZX2 walkman and it sounds much better than the iPhone 6 Plus I used before it. The AK380 is probably even better still, but I haven't heard it. Lots of people will say it doesn't make sense in terms of the physics, but in my opinion there is a clear subjective difference.

Agree with the above. Hugo is transport sensitive and the sound quality differences among transports being used is large enough via my ATC SCM40 v2 speaker.

Same here via my Lenehan ML2 Reference. These things reveal the subtlest of changes in cables, transports, etc with ease.
Much more revealing than my previous Proacs and i think a lot of the disagreement about transport and cable differences (do they or don't they exist) are because the rest of the chain is just not up to letting them through. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #11,976 of 15,694
  rgs... are you guys following the Rugby World Cup over the pond?

Not here in Canada. Right now the Toronto Blue Jays are making a big run for the AL East and the entire country is behind them. Baseball is very popular this time of year (both in the US and Canada) with playoff runs getting set at the end of the regular season. And we have hockey season!!! That is quite the event here...duh!

In the US, it's time for football (not the one you in the UK invented, but rather the Canadian invented and subsequently US exported kind 
tongue.gif
). But I do have a UK buddy who likes to say that rugby is just like North American football, but for men. I keed....I keed.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #11,977 of 15,694

I don't think the REGEN is the answer to all prayers, just looking at the crappy Wall-Wart power supply it comes with ... 
YMMV

It may not be the answer to all prayers, but it sure does help dramatically reduce any bad electronic noise from the streaming data being input to the Hugo.  Huge difference.  I think it puts PC usb streaming SQ via Hugo up there with the best.  Of course any further optimization of the PC helps also.
By the way, you can use alternative power supplies, even Uptone recommends doing so and are working on a new power supply.  I currently feed the Regen with a Lithium battery.

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #11,978 of 15,694

It may not be the answer to all prayers, but it sure does help dramatically reduce any bad electronic noise from the streaming data being input to the Hugo.  Huge difference.  I think it puts PC usb streaming SQ via Hugo up there with the best.  Of course any further optimization of the PC helps also.
By the way, you can use alternative power supplies, even Uptone recommends doing so and are working on a new power supply.  I currently feed the Regen with a Lithium battery.

What improvement does you hear? Briefly looking at the circuit, I don't see anything would help with hugo. I trust graph and data, and they don't provide them in the website. If you know places showing them, I would like to take a look. Of course, the accuracy would depends on the setup and methodology too.

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #11,979 of 15,694
Duncan, have you had a chance to hook up the QP to your Hugo by optical?  Or have you had a chance to compare the sound from each?  If so, I'd be interested in your comments; unless you have a review somewhere.
Thanks.
Sorry, no, have it all ready to go, but am pulling 15-18hr days at work at the moment and have neither the time nor the cognitive state to write up anything meaningful, I would rather pass the baton to someone else than write something inaccurate.

Doesn't mean it won't happen, just don't know when! :frowning2:

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #11,980 of 15,694
  What improvement does you hear? Briefly looking at the circuit, I don't see anything would help with hugo. I trust graph and data, and they don't provide them in the website. If you know places showing them, I would like to take a look. Of course, the accuracy would depends on the setup and methodology too.

If your looking for a Hydrogenaudio testing to back up my statement on Regen.  Forget it.  Sometimes you have to trust your own ears. 
But if you want some great feedback about the Regen from computer minded audiophiles I would recommend the CA forum (computeraudiophile.com).  Also some great information by the creator John Swenson can be had on the Uptone Audio website along with his posts on CA. 
I do know they are working on some testing and writing of a white paper on the matter.  Don't know when that will be published?  See CA forum for further updates.

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #11,981 of 15,694
  In the US, it's time for football (not the one you in the UK invented, but rather the Canadian invented and subsequently US exported kind 
tongue.gif
). But I do have a UK buddy who likes to say that rugby is just like North American football, but for men. I keed....I keed.

Rugby is a game for men, no helmets or girlie shoulder pads just pure unadulterated violence getting the ball over the line... both Canada & USA have teams though it's doubtful if they'll make it out of the Group stages, both teams are very powerful but lack the tactics to beat the best teams (this weekend games below)... Japan caused a massive upset last weekend beating South-Africa (fantastic game), all the games are sold-out and the atmosphere in the Stadiums is electric so anyone watching/listening on their AV-system via the Hugo is in for a treat (keeping things on topic).

Saturday: England v Wales - Canada v Italy... Sunday: Scotland v USA

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #11,983 of 15,694
  You are falling on death ears here.  Rugby hasn't got enough commercial breaks considering the average attention span.

darthsmile.gif

I forgot all about the 'commercial breaks' that you guys allow into games so players can get their breath back after trotting a few yards, none of that malarkey in rugby just 80mins of hell with a 10min half-time break... you guys need to grow some or get the next best thing, a Hugo...
wink_face.gif

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #11,985 of 15,694
Just to share a finding that i discover today. I just bought the Hugo about a week. Till now, i start to feel the burn in has break in abit but I still find the treble is sharp and harsh.

My portable system include AK100ii, Hugo, SE846 with ALO sxc8 cable and i use the stock optical cable. Today, I finally found a optical cable that can connect to Hugo which is not the expensive type. I bought at $20 only but the optic cable is much thicker than the stock optic cable. Then I notice the sharpness gone and the treble is smooth and yet detail with clarity. Now, i really enjoy the Hugo sound which ia not sharp anymore. So my finding is that the stock optic cable is not good. I never thought that different optic cable could have a different. Just to share my finding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back