Chord Hugo
Mar 8, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #991 of 15,692
  I've reviewed the Chordette Qute Ex and, while still a good product, it seemed quite below Hugo which seems to have the newest technology.

same like my comparison before taking decision in hugo.
hugo is better than ex (with stock psu)

want to ask also, where do you connect the hydra, ex or conductor?
do you have any linear psu like teddy , kingrex or teradax , maybe you cant add your review latter using ex with that linear psu and some usb/spdif converter to ex than plz share your impression (ex with linear psu plus usb spdif converter vs hugo)

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #992 of 15,692
Chord has stated that the Hugo runs from the battery supply and that the PS has no effect on sound. So some have this to be different than what Chord has stated? 

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #993 of 15,692
  Chord has stated that the Hugo runs from the battery supply and that the PS has no effect on sound. So some have this to be different than what Chord has stated? 

this is true with hugo, but for chord ex is different story coz it use switch power supply. replace it with good linear psu will improve the sound.
but hugo not affected by psu. coz it always run with battery powered even if you connect your charging adaptor to hugo it still use the power from baterry

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #995 of 15,692
Michael

Try JRiver MC19, there's a 30 day trial.

Then download the Fidelizer app. (Google it)....use the audiophile setting. The app divert resources for audio. The app. does slow down the computer as it diverts resources for audio.

Hope you enjoy the above. I have been using the above combination for my various Dacs.....

Mar 9, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #996 of 15,692
Michael

Try JRiver MC19, there's a 30 day trial.

Then download the Fidelizer app. (Google it)....use the audiophile setting. The app divert resources for audio. The app. does slow down the computer as it diverts resources for audio.

Hope you enjoy the above. I have been using the above combination for my various Dacs.....
Great thanks to you, will try when I have time.

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #997 of 15,692

same like my comparison before taking decision in hugo.
hugo is better than ex (with stock psu)

want to ask also, where do you connect the hydra, ex or conductor?
do you have any linear psu like teddy , kingrex or teradax , maybe you cant add your review latter using ex with that linear psu and some usb/spdif converter to ex than plz share your impression (ex with linear psu plus usb spdif converter vs hugo)

The hydra is connected to conductor via rca spdif. Unfortunately I don't have any linear power supply and qute ex doesn't have rca spdif input, as I wanted to try it with hydra too. However, I don't have the right cable for that. 

Have you tried the eq with a linear power supply? I think the usb implementation in Hugo might be better than the one in Ex. Couldn't be sure, but that is my feeling. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #998 of 15,692
After comparing Hugo with my reference DAC - DAC202U on the USB input I had to admit that Hugo outperforms DAC202U in every aspect. Hugo's highs are more crystal clear. It's not analytic but a shimmering high. The mids are sweeter and the lows are darker. In terms of speed and depth Hugo wins without any doubt.

IMHO Hugo beats those big rigs with price many times. I have a feeling that Chord has set a benchmark that's so high that others would be hard to catch up with in short term.

Hugo is my reference DAC from now on.

P.S. One thing that Hugo loses is in the headphone Amp. After all it's a portable amp not a desktop version. However I would say that Hugo's amp is the best I have ever heard in the portable category.

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #999 of 15,692
I just compared my CD player Stello CDA 500 from April Music vs Hugo DAC section

Source : CD player Stello CDA 500 as player
Dac / Amp : Chord Hugo as DAC via RCA line out to my pre amp T+A P 10.2
Amp : T+A 10.2. Tube pre amp
Cable : RCA Vespa by stereovox
Coax i use Kimber RCA cable about 100 USD
Headphone : Abyss 1266
LCD XC

Dac section from Stello CDA 500 vs Hugo DAC section

High : Hugo more crisp an more detail than Stello CDA 500
Mid : Hugo more sweet and very clear and clean , that I can hear so clear how the Sanger breath
Bass : Hugo more power full and full body with very good impact and better detail,
Separation : Hugo has better separation compare Dac section Stello CDA 500
Soundstage : Hugo more 3 D presentation

Result :
This is surprise me , that Hugo DAC section can beat my Stello CDA 500 DAC section
My CD player cost 2 years ago about 2500 USD , this is unbelievable that Hugo DAC section
Also good for desktop rigs

IMO

c70faf2ae1d3fdd5f3cd5c46675b949d_zps1fea229b.jpg

I am sorry can not upload pictures from Photo Bhuket my free quota is over

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #1,000 of 15,692
The hydra is connected to conductor via rca spdif. Unfortunately I don't have any linear power supply and qute ex doesn't have rca spdif input, as I wanted to try it with hydra too. However, I don't have the right cable for that. 

Have you tried the eq with a linear power supply? I think the usb implementation in Hugo might be better than the one in Ex. Couldn't be sure, but that is my feeling. 

the cute ex i heard in comparison is using stock psu , haven't,tried linear ones, local dealer here dont have any linear psu. it,s very hard to find ones in indonesia.
same with the usb converter to spdif it.s very rare also.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,001 of 15,692
Has anybody received the new casing yet? 

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #1,002 of 15,692
This may be slightly off topic.  I have been experimenting between using iDevice CCK (or Lightning to USB) vs. Wadia.  The Wadia sounds significantly better.  Is there a reason for it?  Don't have much experience with using CCK or the Apple Lightning to USB until recently. 

Doesn't the CCK/Lightning to USB give you a digital signal that skips the DAC and AMP on your iDevice?  Just trying to understand why there would be such a difference.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #1,003 of 15,692
  This may be slightly off topic.  I have been experimenting between using iDevice CCK (or Lightning to USB) vs. Wadia.  The Wadia sounds significantly better.  Is there a reason for it?  Don't have much experience with using CCK or the Apple Lightning to USB until recently. 

Doesn't the CCK/Lightning to USB give you a digital signal that skips the DAC and AMP on your iDevice?  Just trying to understand why there would be such a difference.

Crashem - what Wadia are you referring to? The 170i iPod dock?  

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #1,004 of 15,692

Users who are viewing this thread

Back