Chord Hugo
Mar 8, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #961 of 15,694
Our local dealer who has had the demo hugo that was at Ces and chord's huge desktop dacs still think overall that chord desktop dac above qute hd sounds better overall. They have been doing a ton of critical listening comparing the desktop ones to hugo. While hugo has newer dac chip that should be superior to desktop dac chip, the dac chip is just part of the equation of what makes the overall dac sound better. Otherwise all es9018 dacs would have little difference between them. The big chord desktop dacs are using significantly superior implementation including better power etc. I guess the superior implementation of the desktop dac outweighs the Hugo's superior dac chip, if local dealer is to be believed. But as someone mentioned earlier, you can carry the hugo with you. My guess is chord's desktop dacs will see an upgrade to the newer dac chips soon enough.

i have compare by my own in my local dealers before taking decision to buy hugo

1. chord qute hd (stock power supply coax input)
2. chord qute ex (same like above)
3. chord hugo (same like above without power supply coz hugo is battery powered)

listening to 3-4 songs.
hugo beat the qutehd and qute ex, in terms of details, soundstage, clarity. i can hear very clear diana krall taking breath in the girl in other room track.

but  if you purchase high quality linear power supply like teddy pardo psu to replace the stock psu from qutehd and ex, plus usb to coaxial converter like matrix x-spdif or ifi usb spdif, maybe the qutehd and ex can beat hugo.
but the problem is the price of teddy pardo and the usb converter sum up to $369 ( teddy ) $250 (matrix) total $619.
yes $619 to maybe beat hugo.
hugo dont need fancy linear psu it's already have battery clean power supply onboard, plus the usb connection already so good.

about the chord flagship qbd, it's must be better than hugo but it's older dac chip, and far to many times hugo price. 

in my opinion chord must hurry to refresh their dac lineup 
as soon as possible refresh the qute hd and qute ex with hugo chip inside with better implementation considering the bigger space in desktop case than hugo.
maybe call it desktop hugo dac. to replace the ex and qutehd .
now potential buyer will likely choose hugo over than cute ex . the price is same 1200pounds. (before chord realize hugo price can be raised to 1400 pounds)
better dac chip plus mobility plus headphone amp, plus clean power from battery

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #962 of 15,694
but the problem is the price of teddy pardo and the usb converter sum up to $369 ( teddy ) $250 (matrix) total $619. yes $619 to beat hugo.
hugo dont need fancy linear psu it's already have battery clean power supply onboard, plus the usb connection already so good.

Good findings but the calculations could be different:

You might get decent results with a power supply cheaper than the TP, so you won't have to spend $369. 

Some folks say the Hugo's spdif input is the best and, if connected to a (audio) PC at home, will also need to buy a USB/spdif converter . In other words, maybe add on $250 to the Hugo, too.

Yep, it seems likely that the EX will be upgraded to Hugo specs at some point, as it's currently cannibalised by the Hugo somewhat. 

Considering there was a recent price increase Qute HD (£990) to EX (£1200), there is a decent possibilty that the EX will not increase in price again if/when it's bumped to Hugo specs.  In which case, you will have money left over towards a linear p/s and converter. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #963 of 15,694
Sorry, rudi...missed this post cos i go to bed early..
By the way, Fiio L12s also support 24/192 too and its cheap

I got email from Joseph Sys Concept
His optical cable 1300 strand 2,2 mm and 5,5 mm are running 24 Bit / 196 KHz

My problem I use mini plug adapter to convert my toslink connector . This mini plug adapter
Is the reason why I can not use file music 196 KHz .

It is better you order Toslink to mini directly
Than should be no problem play music file to 24 bit / 196 KHz

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #964 of 15,694
AHHHH....still tempted buying the HUGO instead of the AK240  but..... stopped by the lack of appropriate source ( DX50: don't like the interface, ZX1: capacity too limited & no DSD support,  iPad/android: capacity too limited (don't want more than 2 pieces set-up) and no easy support for 24/196, CALYX-M no Digital Out (!!!), ....).  

--> If only CHORD could release a source (no DAC no AMP for the HUGO) or ... Sony a XZ2 (256Gb & DSD) 
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #965 of 15,694
Today I have mini meet with 3 friends and we found Chord best transport as follow :

Source : iPhone 5 s
Dac : Venture Craft Go Dap DD 1 LE with op amp Muse 02
Dac / Amp : chord Hugo
Headphone : Abyss 1266
Iem : Earsonic SM 64 v1 , 112 ohm
Cable : we use COAXIAL from Kimber

The function :
iPhone 5s + dac venture craft go dap DD 1 LE muse 02 = as full transport
We use Coaxial cable connect to HUGO

Sound quality :
This IDevice set up pair with dac like :
Go Dap DD 1 LE muse 02 or. Class solo original or Class Solo -dB
Use coaxial cable Connect to Hugo

The result :
so far the best sound quality what we can have from IDevice .
High : more crispy and more detail more body and volume
We can hear more cymbals compare direct Iphone 5s with lightning to USB
Mid : better detail and more pronounce that we hear more clear and clean mid than before
Bass : better bass impact and full body bass
Separation : the best separation what we can have , if we Pkus dac for IDevjce
Soundstage : more 3 D presentation

The other source that sound very good and natural is:

Source Color fly C4
Dac / Amp : Chord Hugo
Headphone : Abyss 1266

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #966 of 15,694
Minor update as I've received some questions via PM:

*Someone asked about IEMs, and I can confirm the Hugo is very good with sensitive models like Westone ES5. No hiss, very good channel tracking even at low volumes, and plenty of room for adjustment before the volume gets too loud. 

*Someone else asked about Windows Tablets. I don't have anything running RT (yuck) so no comment on that. But so far I've had a chance to test a Lenovo Miix 2 which runs the full Windows 8.1, and it's plug and play with the Hugo via SD USB. I need to find time to install drivers and test that out, but even the "basic" USB sounds really great. Running the MediaMonkey app, the Miix 2 is a great little device for interfacing with the system, and it sounds excellent with the Hugo in place. 

*As has been said, the system defaults to the same input and volume settings every time it powers down. So you must cycle to USB (slightly annoying) and volume starts at a "safe" level (a good idea) each time. 

*Battery life is impressive. I charged it once when it came in, and have yet to run out of juice. Been using it for what I feel like is a lot of listening, so the battery is definitely not the weak link some people worried about. Will it go for 200+ hours like some DAPs or portable amps? Probably not. But it's good enough for me so far.

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #968 of 15,694
Cool, I've gotta try Sony Walkman / WMC-NWH10 / Solo -dB and see how it goes. Just got a short Platinum Starlight mini USB cable but not exactly sure about short coaxial cable that's suitable for Hugo's recessed jack.

Besides, I wish that coaxial input could support DSD but I don't think that would be accomplished with software updates in the future.

This is the only problem with Hugo recess connector , I ca not use my high end RCA and coaxial cable

I haven't tried DSD file on my Hugo , I need to buy Audirvana for playing DSD

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #972 of 15,694
  Where did you buy yours from ? Or better to say, where are you from ?

Audio High in Mountain View, CA. I listened to the prototype from CES and pulled the trigger immediately. 
Really enjoying Hugo with both HD800 and my beater Sennheiser Amperior for mobile / closed.
I also just plugged in my vintage Yamaha YH-1 orthodynamics. Never sounded better.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #974 of 15,694
  My thoughts on the Chord Hugo....bit too long to post here! Be gentle it's my first write up.

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/blog/chord-electronics-hugo-review/

Great writeup with descriptive writing that informs and paints and mental/aural image. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #975 of 15,694
  My thoughts on the Chord Hugo....bit too long to post here! Be gentle it's my first write up.

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/blog/chord-electronics-hugo-review/

Great Review Phil, i´ll get mine the next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back