Chord Hugo
Jan 31, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #9,526 of 15,692
Thanks for the reply. I've had the Ayre connected to an Audiolab M-DAC without issue. Last week, I added a room correction device ( a DSPeaker Anti Mode) to the chain and the same 'popping' sound occurred. I can't (or shouldn't) connect the Ayre directly to the streamer. The Ayre does not include a digital input.

Good suggestion though, I will connect the streamer to Hugo using the Toslink.

Thanks I'll get back to you.

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #9,527 of 15,692
Hello,
I know it's been asked before, but I never got a proper answer - How's the Schiit Wyrd with the Hugo? does it clean up the USB and adds galvanic isolation?

At the moment I use the toslink connection, USB is more detailed but harsh - if anyone can share their experience that would be great!

How does it compare to the Toslink? Does with work with the HD USB connection?

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #9,528 of 15,692
As i understood from being around here for a long time... chord hugo as a proprietary DAC which is the main source of cost in it.. 

I was wondering how does it compare to ESS9018 SQ wise.. i am not interested in technical data, as i don't use HD audio, or anything above redbook, and i am pretty sure that both are beyond better than audible treshold on paper, but in reality will sound different...

i am trying to decide if chord hugo is the best SQ wise, or if i can get something similar, at a much lower price. as much as i want to have the best, i want to spend as less as possible, not because i don't have the money, but i also want to buy headphones, and chord hugo needs a transport, and the entire thing is a little bulkyer than i think i want to carry with me when i walk, not to speak when i jog...

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #9,529 of 15,692
Try centrix or international. Not as good but good enough under 700$ us each. You should try different threads. This is about hugo. Hard to say what's like hugo but not hugo.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #9,530 of 15,692
I'm a hugo owner and haven't heard it, but the iFi iDSD Micro seems to be what most people get who like DSD and don't want to shell out for the Hugo. Hugo is mentioned over 200 times in that thread. 

Quote:
  As i understood from being around here for a long time... chord hugo as a proprietary DAC which is the main source of cost in it.. 

I was wondering how does it compare to ESS9018 SQ wise.. i am not interested in technical data, as i don't use HD audio, or anything above redbook, and i am pretty sure that both are beyond better than audible treshold on paper, but in reality will sound different...

i am trying to decide if chord hugo is the best SQ wise, or if i can get something similar, at a much lower price. as much as i want to have the best, i want to spend as less as possible, not because i don't have the money, but i also want to buy headphones, and chord hugo needs a transport, and the entire thing is a little bulkyer than i think i want to carry with me when i walk, not to speak when i jog...

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #9,531 of 15,692

I am not into dsd or anything above redbook flac by far, but i am going to look by curiosity. i can just get both and compare! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks for the help!

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #9,532 of 15,692
  I am not into dsd or anything above redbook flac by far, but i am going to look by curiosity. i can just get both and compare! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks for the help!

I look forward to your thoughts!

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #9,533 of 15,692

I look forward to your thoughts!

after reading for three hours about it, it seems that it is under chord hugo by at least being in another league... so far so good, it seems that idsd micro does not come close to chord hugo... now i was back in the sound science area and back there, they said that every DAC is totally transparent and it sounds the same...

this place is getting confusing, and i cannot seem to get an objective opinion from everyone...

okay so i back at the main question to myself, why does chord hugo sound better than my x5 in my test?
does the DAC sound different at all from other DACs
Do all DACs have a different sound?

Sorry, after reading through audio science, i got out more confused, i was just curious if it is worth making a 3 piece with fiio x5, chord hugo and another portable amp, to save some battery life from hugo, and i got totally another opinions on the matter...

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #9,534 of 15,692
There is a reason why they have the "sound Science" forum. I learned early on not to even read there. Listen to equipment and judge for yourself. Over there they use coat hangers instead of cable because "it all sounds the same."

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #9,535 of 15,692
DACs sound the same if you don't listen or if you are very hard of hearing.

Funny thing is, there are massive differences in measurements with different DACs, they certainly do not measure the same.

Frankly, life would be so much simpler if there were no differences; we would all be enjoying the sound of a live orchestra in our homes without all this trouble and expense!

Rob 

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #9,536 of 15,692
There is a reason why they have the "sound Science" forum. I learned early on not to even read there. Listen to equipment and judge for yourself. Over there they use coat hangers instead of cable because "it all sounds the same."

LoL.... I have learnt from headfi that all DAPs sound the same, and certain American company DAC is a giant killer before it is even released. The comment is everywhere on the internet, everytime there is an announcement of a new DAC and there is a follow-up comment saying that this to-be-released DAC will appear and wipe all other DACs out of existence.

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #9,537 of 15,692
Rob Watts

Never got a chance to ask. Are the dual xlrs on the TT for home hifi, headphones or both? If the answer is the latter it is noticeable how many manufacturers have transitioned to mini 4-pin for balanced headphone output but TT has not followed that trend. Thanks

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #9,539 of 15,692
TT balanced OP is for driving balanced power amps directly.

Don't get me drawn into the pros and cons of balanced drive for headphones!

Rob 

Does that means you added a phase splitter from the main/original SE outputs to allow the balanced xlr output? Or would the signal path for the balanced output is completely separate and different from the other single ended outputs?

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #9,540 of 15,692

Don't get me drawn into the pros and cons of balanced drive for headphones!

Rob 

yes yes Rob, we will be very interested to hear your thinking about this.  May be we give too much credit to balanced headphone... 
wink.gif

And, for my birthday (in May) can you make for us a "HUGO Super-TT" with the NEW technology that will be used in the next version of the Chord QBD 76 HDSD: the QBD168 ? this will be THE TT that we are waiting for !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back