Chord Hugo
Jan 29, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #9,511 of 15,694
Have to admit that I totally wasn't interested in the crossover setting and thought I would never use it. The second day I turned it on and really liked it. I'm surprised because I consider myself kind of a purist, but if it sounds good........

I always use the crossfeed on. It just sound more open and relaxed. I use the lowest setting (red light) as a default, but sometime I crank it up to blue on old jazz recordings. But in my opinion everything sounds better with a touch of crossfeed on.

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #9,512 of 15,694

Hey Yoga,
Sorry for the dis. I worked in a place that had hackintoshes that were on paper way better than the real macs. But in actually doing the job they fell short. Several could play a flip book at full speed even through they had way better specs. Sorry for the OT...

No worries - thanks. Yes indeed, not all hacks are created equal :¬)

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #9,513 of 15,694
I always use the crossfeed on. It just sound more open and relaxed. I use the lowest setting (red light) as a default, but sometime I crank it up to blue on old jazz recordings. But in my opinion everything sounds better with a touch of crossfeed on.

Yeah, that's exactly how I use it. Up to medium ocassionally but usually on low.

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #9,515 of 15,694

I have the opposite experience. It sounds more closed it. The soundstage disappears. 

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #9,519 of 15,694
If you are asking if the Hugo has the best sq for a portable device currently - IMHO yes.

HUGO DAC + Tube AMP = even better SQ... when you want a warmer sound (but HUGO "only" for a more analytical sound)

ON THE GO : 

AT HOME :

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #9,520 of 15,694
Looks like a nice set up, imo, the hugo doesn't need to be warmer, it's warm enough.imo

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #9,521 of 15,694
Looks like a nice set up, imo, the hugo doesn't need to be warmer, it's warm enough.

I guess tubes really help bmichels' TH900. I also like pairing Hugo with my WA22 for the HD800. I no longer have a pair of th900 but based on memory I would probably prefer some more warmth for it.

With my LCD3 or many of my c/iems tho I like them straight from Hugo.

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #9,522 of 15,694
Looks like a nice set up, imo, the hugo doesn't need to be warmer, it's warm enough.

I guess tubes really help bmichels' TH900. I also like pairing Hugo with my WA22 for the HD800. I no longer have a pair of th900 but based on memory I would probably prefer some more warmth for it.

With my LCD3 or many of my c/iems tho I like them straight from Hugo.

Sorry if I have asked this before but very interested, lcd3 straight from hugo is good. Not an under power issue? If so it may be the perfect compliment for my 900. I find the 900 with recessed mids are pretty warm. Especially with my new beefed up copper cable. The Hugo is warm to me on the 900 and find my a8 actually pushes clearer mids and highs through th900. I prefer the chord sound overall. Some folks as an example prefer white filters with 846 and the chord to push those highs a bit more as another example.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #9,523 of 15,694
I think the Hugo has the best portable sound available today. I also have an A2P tube amp but it's a little big for walking around, and only helps with some recordings on certain headphones. 

Quote:
  I feel like asking this; Is chord hugo the top for portability? I mean, it cannot be beat SQ wise by say pono layer, or ak240 or anything?.. just curious..

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #9,524 of 15,694
I hate to burst into a conversation but, I have a newbie question. When I connect the streamer to the Chord Hugo and then the Chord yo my Ayre preamp, at higher volumes, I get a ticking sound almost like the amplified sounds of a stylus on a scratchy record. I'm clearly doing something wrong. Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #9,525 of 15,694
I hate to burst into a conversation but, I have a newbie question. When I connect the streamer to the Chord Hugo and then the Chord yo my Ayre preamp, at higher volumes, I get a ticking sound almost like the amplified sounds of a stylus on a scratchy record. I'm clearly doing something wrong. Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help.

1) How are you connecting said streamer to Hugo? Perhaps, try another type of connection - USB, Coax, Toslink?
2) Any ticks when you connect Hugo + Ayre to another source - DAP, PC, CD player, etc?
3) Any ticks when you connect streamer to Ayre without Hugo?
4) Any ticks when you connect streamer to Hugo without Ayre?

The above should help to "isolate" which component is ticking you off (sorry for the pun) 
wink.gif

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back