Chord Hugo
Jan 16, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #9,362 of 15,694
  iBasso DX90, FiiO or a Walkman will fit the bill just as easy as any A&K model(& cheaper).... you're only using it as a server.

The question then becomes - what can it serve and how much can it store?

FiiO X5 will serve up to 24/192kHz (WAV, DSD, APE, FLAC, ALAC), 24/96kHz (APE, WMA)
Whilst native DSD is converted to PCM 88.2kHz by the player, it will happily serve up DSD in a FLAC wrapper to allow Hugo to do the conversion (white light).

Storage 0 + 2X microSD + OTG - so 3x128GB is easy - more is possible.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #9,363 of 15,694

The question then becomes - what can it serve and how much can it store?

FiiO X5 will serve up to 24/192kHz (WAV, DSD, APE, FLAC, ALAC), 24/96kHz (APE, WMA)
Whilst native DSD is converted to PCM 88.2kHz by the player, it will happily serve up DSD in a FLAC wrapper to allow Hugo to do the conversion (white light).

Storage 0 + 2X microSD + OTG - so 3x128GB is easy - more is possible.

it would look pretty akwards for a portable to use otg and chord hugo...

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #9,365 of 15,694
I asked a few posts back about the choice between optical and usb from my computer but got no response. To my ears on very limited time last night, the optical out of the ak120 sounded better than the usb out of the computer. Is this the consensus? Go digital out instead of usb. Had no time to check yesterday and worked all day. Generally in past I know that USB is worse overall but heard there had been some advances....

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #9,367 of 15,694
I asked a few posts back about the choice between optical and usb from my computer but got no response. To my ears on very limited time last night, the optical out of the ak120 sounded better than the usb out of the computer. Is this the consensus? Go digital out instead of usb. Had no time to check yesterday and worked all day. Generally in past I know that USB is worse overall but heard there had been some advances....

Dude, there's a million posts in this thread about digital input preference on the Hugo, even by the creator, himself.  Use the search function in the thread to find em.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #9,368 of 15,694
I read through a bunch of pages, there are thousands on this thread, and didn't come across any that mentioned it. The search function on head-fi totally sucks, it's really been my only complaint over the seven and a half years I've been on it. Thanks for sharing......

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #9,369 of 15,694

What is awkward here?

it looks at least a little sensitive. because, cable from top, cable from bottom, i think that it is easier for it to break. this, and i travel in pretty bad envoirments, so, i would have to worry. i wanted to ask, this should weight around 600-700grams. how do you carry it so that it does not strain?

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #9,370 of 15,694
  it looks at least a little sensitive. because, cable from top, cable from bottom, i think that it is easier for it to break. this, and i travel in pretty bad envoirments, so, i would have to worry. i wanted to ask, this should weight around 600-700grams. how do you carry it so that it does not strain?

This is why I have used a 90° adapter for the coax, to put less strain on the connection. I haven't used a direct micro usb to flash drive for the same reason. The short OTG cable will happily go wherever you put it wuthout any strain on the connection.
As for carrying it, I have a cheap soft leather bumbag (Ebay £5), which works a treat.
Did you know that there was a thread dedicated to portable use of the Hugo - you may get some better direction there.

Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #9,372 of 15,694
  i have read through that thread... i was just wondering, now that you mentioned it, if it is not a strain to carry it. it kind of is heavy and big.. i am not saying that i would not carry it too, but it was just that i was wondering...

I think a strain to carry or not depends on each person. I carry Hugo around with my iPhone 6 and a 380g Yoobao power bank among other stuff in my messenger bag.
I lug around 8kg of camera and lens casually on weekends. I feel nothing, no burden no strain.

My wife on other hand, think any tech bigger than her iPhone 5s is too big to carry around. So it all depends on you.

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #9,373 of 15,694
i have read through that thread... i was just wondering, now that you mentioned it, if it is not a strain to carry it. it kind of is heavy and big.. i am not saying that i would not carry it too, but it was just that i was wondering...

I bought the hugo leather carry case. Smart set up, protects conections. I use iPhone six plus so a bit awkward to use interface, need to move phone up and down sometimes to access menus, I don't use the phone so much except for emergencies so don't need a dap. But the hugo case would work with any type of player. Could carry it via strap or in bag. I use usb to camera adapter Thunderbolt, sounds fantastic.

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #9,375 of 15,694
  Just a quick question. Can you still play the hugo when it is charging from an almost drained battery?

Hi alinto, 

Should be yes, so long as the battery status LED is not "blinking red" and the output has not been muted.

BTW, since the Hugo runs on lithium-ion batteries, it may be better to charge it when the LED turns red (whenever possible) to sustain good battery lifespan/endurance.

Cheers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back