Chord Hugo
Nov 16, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #8,821 of 15,694
  Does your Hugo rattle if you gentle shake it?

only if I'm rattle & rolling...
wink_face.gif

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #8,828 of 15,694
Can't wait for the new QBD and its Hugo like SQ, I am sure it will be stunning

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #8,829 of 15,694
  What problem are you worried about?

Rob

Well, most power amps have an input sensitivity of around 1V; if the QBD outputs 6V on the balanced outs you will have to attenuate a lot in the digital domain for normal listening levels and not clip the amp. Won't this affect the resolution of the DAC?

dCS for example, which also uses a digital volume control, has a switch on the back of their converters that lets you select between 2V and 6V max output at 0dbFS. Weiss also lets you set the max out voltage at 0dbFS in the analog domain with four settings of 1V, 2V, 4V and 8V to match the sensitivity of the power amp and use as little digital attenuation as possible for the VC.

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #8,830 of 15,694
I really look forward to the new QBD as Rob stated that it will have an built in isolator which will be really convenient for me. I currently use usb isolator with red book material connected to the SD port. If I dont need to switch input for DSD and Highres PCM, it will be really ideal!

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #8,831 of 15,694

Well, most power amps have an input sensitivity of around 1V; if the QBD outputs 6V on the balanced outs you will have to attenuate a lot in the digital domain for normal listening levels and not clip the amp. Won't this affect the resolution of the DAC?

dCS for example, which also uses a digital volume control, has a switch on the back of their converters that lets you select between 2V and 6V max output at 0dbFS. Weiss also lets you set the max out voltage at 0dbFS in the analog domain with four settings of 1V, 2V, 4V and 8V to match the sensitivity of the power amp and use as little digital attenuation as possible for the VC.

OK, its the resolution problem. No this isn't an issue with the QBD as the problem of low level resolution is a major issue with DAC's, particularly in terms of being able to reproduce sound stage depth, when one needs extraordinary resolving accuracy of very small signals. Frankly, adjusting gain by say 10dB won't solve this problem, as we are trying to reproduce very small signals very accurately. QBD has an extremely complex noise shaper optimized to solve this problem. If you directly adjust the gain in the analogue signal path, you could actually degrade soundstage depth as the extra analogue components degrade transparency.

Rob

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #8,832 of 15,694
  OK, its the resolution problem. No this isn't an issue with the QBD as the problem of low level resolution is a major issue with DAC's, particularly in terms of being able to reproduce sound stage depth, when one needs extraordinary resolving accuracy of very small signals. Frankly, adjusting gain by say 10dB won't solve this problem, as we are trying to reproduce very small signals very accurately. QBD has an extremely complex noise shaper optimized to solve this problem. If you directly adjust the gain in the analogue signal path, you could actually degrade soundstage depth as the extra analogue components degrade transparency.

Rob

is the qbd going to be portable sorry for me not knowing anything about it, is it and amp only or amp/dac

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #8,834 of 15,694

is the qbd going to be portable sorry for me not knowing anything about it, is it and amp only or amp/dac

This should give you an idea.

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #8,835 of 15,694

Rob

Hi Rob,

Given the size of the chassis on the Hugo, was there a specific reason why it has two 3.5mm outputs other than allowing two listeners? Also, is the crossfeed more noticeable with certain types of music or headphones? 

Just got my Hugo and I'm quite happy with it. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back