Chord Hugo
Nov 11, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #8,776 of 15,694
You will not be disappointed.

I too had a 240 before the Hugo.

I still plan on using my 240 as a transport. Extravagant, yes, but there will be times when I won't want to carry along the Hugo.

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #8,777 of 15,694
Nah, it doesn't need burn in I think, just fully charge it and keep it that way when you play it. It likes to be warmed up. It won't "wow" you at first, but after a while, you won't think about upgrading to another dac because it feels so good. 
You may feel there are other dacs with more resolution or slam or bass or whatever, but the Hugo gets the Gestalt thing right, where all the pieces of the sonic landscape fit together so well you just don't care.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #8,778 of 15,694
  My black Hugo is due to arrive this week, so I'm excited to hear the improvements over my 240. Is the burn-in time typical for a DAC, 200-300 hours?

Some components seem to change with use, some don't. I believe it depends on the parts used. The only thing I'd suggest about the Hugo is that I think it sounds a bit better after it has been on a few minutes than immediately after it is switched on. This is probably due to heat, as it does warm up a bit.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #8,781 of 15,694
as per specs Hugo should perform very well with passive pre amp. this will avoid one more active stage .I have exposure 2010s2 which has passive pre amp and using hugo as DAC with this amp is very very transparent.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #8,782 of 15,694

Some components seem to change with use, some don't. I believe it depends on the parts used. The only thing I'd suggest about the Hugo is that I think it sounds a bit better after it has been on a few minutes than immediately after it is switched on. This is probably due to heat, as it does warm up a bit.

Thank you for your reply ... generally, if a component uses high grade capacitors in the signal path, there is burn-in time for the capacitors to fully form. I certainly felt my 240 benefited from a few hundred hours of play time.

Coming from a 26 year career in high end audio, burn-in was always necessary with high end gear although I do agree that some products need little while others need a lot. My experience has been that digital products almost always required the latter. Given the small form factor of the Hugo, perhaps as you say there is a departure from the norm due to a simplified circuit design. Or maybe Chord burns in its gear for a few days before they ship it out.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear I will be able to enjoy the benefits of my new Hugo sooner rather than later ...

Cheers

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #8,783 of 15,694
anyone using Hugo for movies ? I have tried it for watching movies in 2 channel. soundstage is so precise that I doubt any avr can create that. sound in movies is very very dynamic and draws you into it. there is no lag or sync issue.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #8,785 of 15,694
Sorry if these questions have already been asked but how does Hugo perform driving a power amp direct? And could it drive the HD800 to a decent standard (I'm thinking in comparison to my Lehmann BCL or Benchmark DAC1 headphone output). And what about the Ety ER4P or S?

Thanks..

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #8,786 of 15,694
Sorry if these questions have already been asked but how does Hugo perform driving a power amp direct? And could it drive the HD800 to a decent standard (I'm thinking in comparison to my Lehmann BCL or Benchmark DAC1 headphone output). And what about the Ety ER4P or S?

Thanks..

I can't speak for the HD800, but I am really enjoying Hugo and Etys for on the go. They share the same design strategy to be transparent and let the music shine through. Using the P you will need to be careful not to use them at the default start volume (green), but the S will be fine. As long as you remember to turn the volume down at start Hugo is fine with sensitive IEMs as there is plenty of control in the intra-red area.

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #8,788 of 15,694

Thanks..

In my main system I have a Hugo driving my power-amps directly - getting rid of a pre-amp gives a big boost to transparency. Only downside is jumping up and down to change the volume, but I need the exercise...

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #8,789 of 15,694
Do I understand correctly that there is no way to use the Hugo's RCA outputs in line-out mode (not controlled by the volume knob) along with headphone outputs normally controlled by the volume knob? I was wondering if I could avoid unplugging headphones and resetting the Hugo to use it as a source to a different amp. (Benchmark DACs can easily be used this way, for example.)

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #8,790 of 15,694
well i got my 0.5m supernova 7 2day and yes is does fit in the Hugo, it don't click in but it's stayed in and as 4 the sound,well yes it sound's amazing,i will do a proper review in about a week's time, At the moment this super nova 7 is blowing me away.

Hello Mate,
that sounds great, I'm now tempted to get the supernova 7 but it's 4 times the cost of the van den hook optical cable I have now and it works fine. Is there really a noticeable difference in sound quality? It's just light...?

Are you comparing this to another optical cable or to the USB connection?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back